1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the recommended break-in driving for the Gen 4?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by nategold, Jan 19, 2016.

1. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    100 miles at no more than 55?

Nate

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    With a Prius, you don't really have to worry about "driving at a constant speed". The tiny undulations in the road plus wind changes cause the HSD to vary the engine RPM pretty much constantly. Check it out yourself with a Scangauge II.

Other than that, what they want to avoid is overheating the brakes as they haven't "bedded in" (pads aren't in contact with the entire surface of the disk). That takes, apparently, 200 mi.
    The other thing they are trying to avoid is operating at "full power" (extremely high speeds or hard acceleration), so you don't chance "burning" part of a cylinder liner until the rings fully "bed in". Unless you stole it, that's not likely to happen. Not so much a concern, with micro machining used now. But 1000 mi. is not so far to drive carefully, and learn how all the systems work. ;)

BruceInOKC likes this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For the first 1,000 miles, control that smug on your face ;)

TonyPSchaefer and jtv like this.
  5. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yeah, there were times when cars under first few 1000 miles would lose warranty if you didn't break it in properly :D
    Don't know how they monitored tho...

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would only add that at the first 5,000 miles, change the oil and transaxle oil. The extra charge, transaxle oil change will remove early wear debris which we found in our 2010:
    ZVW30 Transmission Oil Analysis | PriusChat

Thereafter, the 10,000 mile engine oil change works. One more transaxle oil change at ~30-50,000 miles will get the last of wear debris. There after you're good for a transaxle oil change every 120-150,000 miles.

This early transaxle oil change is to remove the left-over, manufacturing debris and should only be ~$80. The second one 30-50,000 miles later removes the 'carry over' from the first change.

There is little evidence of transaxles wearing out but you're doing a relatively cheap, fractional, friction reduction. But many never bother and it is an extra cost . . . your choice.

Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sage advice, Bob.
    A lot of people do not consider the first oil changes so soon. But it's key to clear out the early debris.

krmcg likes this.
  8. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This might actually be a challenge for me. I drive 4 hours roundrip once a week, about 75% on a highway going as fast as 80, and maintaining that for about an hour. Should I not drive the 2016 II ECO that I have on order until it hits 1000? How serious are these recommendations?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, wha, starting to discuss early maintenance? While you're at it, asap, especially if you're DIY'ing:

One weekend jack up the rear, put it on safety stands, and spray some sorta wax/oil rust preventative on ALL the bolts and brackets and supension steel you can reach. Remove, oil and re-install all the plastic panel hold-down bolts and screws you can get at too.

Another weekend, repeat for the front.

I'm not sure if Toyota goes out of their way to spec shite, or their hands are tied by regulators (ie: this bolt is known to cause cancer in California), but their suspension steel and fasteners are terribly prone to rust.

10. sad2

sad2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    I have a 2020 Prius LE AWD-e. It has 700 miles on it. I was planning on taking it on a 1000 mile RT car camping trip from Denver to Utah to climb Kings Peak, state highpoint in UT. Would you recommend I hold off on this trip until I reach 1000 miles?

I plan on driving across WY on I-80.

Thank you.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Being at 700 miles you're almost out of the official break-in period, and it's likely very conservative. If possible take it especially easy for the first day or two of the trip? Say take a secondary highway?

12. sad2

sad2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    Thank youm Mendel Leisk

13. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking, because of the nature of the hybrid cycling the ICE on and off, the traditional ICE concept/necessity of "varying the RPMs during the break-in period" isn't necessary.

...discuss...

krmcg likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just go for it. It's not like an ICE car where it could sit on the same RPM for hours on end, but being a Hybrid, and MG2 and the ICE sharing the driving, it will have plenty of variety. Enjoy.

15. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I disagree with 10k mile oil changes. You should do the first at 1,000 miles and then at 5,000 miles there after. 10k miles is extremely long for any car.

16. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thread drift, but I'll bite...

Data from Blackstone Industries, which does used oil analysis (UOA) indicates that in MOST modern ICE engines, an oil change interval (OCI) at 10k is adequate for the ICE. Wear additives (which they test for) aren't depleted in that mileage.(my UOAs indicate I could go 12-15k miles OCI)

Traditional, usually older ICE owners, say this 21st century advice will cause premature engine failure, and is the ICE industry's preference to replacing/retiring engines earlier than is necessary, and is NOT linked to superior ICE engineering/manufacture and extensive petroleum industry research/engineering. (OCIs started at...uhh...500 miles, then 1k, then 2k, etc. etc.)

My advice: at 5k, spend a measly $25, send a sample off to Blackstone, or any other testing agency. You'll quickly learn of the condition of your oil. My Avalon Hybrid and 2 Gen 4 Prii are happily living with 10-12k OCI, saving me money and inconvenience, and saving oil resources. Both my (sold) Ford Hybrids could go 15-18k OCI, because, as with ANY hybrid, the ICE isn't functioning for 100% of those 15k miles.

Pulse07 likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, an oil change sets me back $25. CDN.

18. 2020PriusLE

2020PriusLE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    did not worry about the break-in period, just changed the oil (Asmoil) at 4,600 miles, maybe start oil sampling (test) at 10K

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The real and only true test is to compare problems with Gen 3 that have had their oil changed at 10k and 5K miles. The proof will be seen that the cars with 5K mile oil changes will burn less oil or no oil usage at all.

20. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have read no reports about Gen 4 having oil related issues. If you have info to share, please let all of us know. I would go to 5k OCI in a heartbeat if someone would provide proof.