1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this brake noise? 5 Example Videos

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Justin C, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Justin C

Justin C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I have a 2011 Prius that makes a honk/chirp/bark noise when pressing the brakes firmly, or from repeatedly pumping the brakes. The noise occurs on releasing the pedal. I will also occasionally hear the noise a minute or so after shutting the car off.

There are so many different brake noise "issues" videos out there with different sounds and it took me a while to find examples of the noise I was experiencing.

I have found 5 video examples (none of which seem to know what the problem is) linked below from various Prius/Camry/Rav4 hybrids:

Is this the noise covered by T-SB-0363-10? If so, I see from my car's service history that the calibration ID for the ECU is up to date on my Prius....

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That seems to be the noise described in that TSB (I'd be more confident if I could watch the actual video that is linked in that TSB, but whoever was writing it used a relative URL (../images/PriusAbnormalNoise2.wmv),apparently thinking as long as it worked on his or her computer it would work for the rest of us.

I'd love to watch that video, if there is anyone who has successfully found it somewhere on Toyota's site.

-Chap

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2011 brake actuator or accumulator honks, or barks, especially when brakes applied hard, or it will do it when going slow, about 5 mph, then apply brakes firmly.

It's never thrown any codes, or flashed any dash warning lights like ABS, etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Justin C

Justin C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the honk/bark noise is the same as the ones in the videos?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know, the links aren't working. Only the last one, which was a Camry with a whirring sound.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.