1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What IS this HANDLE for??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Sep 29, 2006.

1. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 30 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]325913[/snapback]</div>
    There's a question I really like. :D

It's the Volkswagen 1 Liter working prototype - concept car. This would be my dream car if they (or anyone else) mass produce something like it, especially a relatively 'souped up' version with a top speed over 120 mph (compared to the prototype's 75 mph top speed) and achieving more than 100 mpg (compared to the operational prototype's over 250 mpg). Until then I'll drive it in my dreams.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/gw/vw1litre.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Sep 30 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]325926[/snapback]</div>
    That's a pretty slick car, alright. Unfortunate licence plate, though. Why would they call it the 'wobbly one'? :D

3. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 30 2006, 12:20 AM) [snapback]325923[/snapback]</div>
    Aren't they the same?????

BTW, I would rather ask a bunch of friends and acquaintences a question than read a stupic book!

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Sep 29 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]325882[/snapback]</div>
    Necessarily so, not.

6. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Sep 30 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]326207[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

7. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 29 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]325902[/snapback]</div>
    \\

Yes, found all of those. Mainly from reading this forum before purchasing my Prius = not from reading the manual.

8. meshell

meshell New Member

i don't think your question is stupid. i think this site is supposed to act like an online users manual. i do agree that some responses to questions posted here are rude and that has kept me from posting much for fear of the response.

9. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meshell @ Sep 30 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]326301[/snapback]</div>
    I have also worried about posting 'stupid' questions, but I have never ever asked a question or asked for clarity on something that I was confused about and recieved a negative response from anyone!! I hate that there are some angry ones in the bunch but don't worry, the good of the people on this site is really amazing!!!

I love PriusChat!!!!

10. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 29 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]325892[/snapback]</div>

I heard it as there's no such thing as a stupid question - just a stupid answer. I don't mind asking if I don't know since the book does not know all. Why not rely on the one's who have been there before.

11. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I think we should give the snobby snooty snotty people a test and if they do not pass they can’t be nasty anymore. So here is the test. In one hour with no help or reference material, they have to draw a diagram that includes everything in a prius and label it. After that, they have another hour to explain it all in their own words. If anyone can do that and not miss anything at all, they disserve to act however they want about others lack of knowledge.

The only problem is administering the test, so until we figure that bit out no one can act like a big nasty bully. That should solve any further problems (I wish)

I happen to like the simple questions because they are the only ones I can sometimes answer.

12. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe it comes from being a teacher, but I have absolutely no problem answering an honest question as many times as it takes to get people the information they're looking for.

Telling people that they should "read the manual" or "use the search feature" is the worst form of bad manners (not to mention that in the time that it takes to post that kind of snide comment, it's easy enough to say "it's the handle for adjusting the steering wheel tilt").

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Oct 1 2006, 12:50 AM) [snapback]326371[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you on that one!!! Keep posting Dulcimer, and everyone else......... There will be a question I can answer someday :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Sep 30 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]326371[/snapback]</div>
    A, we've struck gold!

Many people lurk here. Some would like to participate by answering questions, but many of the questions they aren't confident about or feel others are more capable of answering. If we have to answer, for the 150th time, why the glove box light stays on or if anyone else has found the hidden drawer, then so be it. Let the newer folks who happen to know that answer field those questions.

If you're tired of the questions then ignore them, move on, or write an article to explain it. Or, at the very least, provide a link or page number where the answer can be found. Just stow the snooty self-rightousness.

Trust me, I know how difficult and frustrating it can be to explain why someone's not getting 55mpg on their first tank of gas....how many times have I answered that question? But there is no need to insult, intimidate or demean people for asking.

15. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Sep 29 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]325794[/snapback]</div>
    I want to add one more thing about the manual...the manual sucks.

I have read my manual, but when I try to go back and look something up, it's damn near impossible to find topics. The index sucks...the TOC sucks...it's just sucky in general. MUCH QUICKER AND EASIER TO ASK ON THIS FORUM...AND THE MANUAL DOESN'T TELL YOU EVERYTHING, ANYWAY!

Did I mention the manual sucks?

16. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

In addition to my first response - I spent 2 years as a US Army Drill instructor and my favorite phrase to a recruit was "The only stupid question is one not asked. In dealing with life and death situations, you better be asking the questions now because I WON'T BE AROUND TO ANSWER THEM WHEN YOU HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION THAT COULD SAVE YOU OR YOUR BUDDIES LIFE!" And yes, I OVER emphasised the last part.

So, lets put it into perspective all you people who are inconvenienced.

Later
    [/b]ITW

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lemme temper this just a tad....
    I DO think people should at least learn to try to find some answers for themselves. Reading the manual through is important. Trying to use the crappy search function is important....at least perusing the last 40 or so threads in the forum where your question will often reveal that someone else has asked the same question recently.

I don't like the attitude 'the only stupid question is the one not asked' ...I think there are a lot of ways to ask stupid questions. But questions like the one for the OP is NOT one of those. PC is quick and convenient...more so than the owner's manual is for most of us. So when logic and a brief search doesn't reveal the answer then I think it is appropriate to ask simple stuff like this...and you shouldn't be insulted when you do.

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 1 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]326460[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 1958 issue of Popular Science which has an article on what to do the first day of getting a new car. One of the things they suggested (which included checking to see if the dealer incuded a jack and to know where the dip stick is) was to read the manual and familiarize yourself with the controls so you won't look like an idiot when showing your new car off to others and to know where everything was so you aren't searching while driving at night. Granted, a 50s car manual is a lot simpler than the one for the Prius, with far less gadgets. :p

That being said, I am very happy to try to answer a question if I can; in fact, I try to be the first. Some of the information I give is based on reading the manual, my own experience (including what the dealer said) and from reading here.

An advantage to the manual is that it's portable. I got the Prius to drive. I've had occasion that I wanted to do something with the navigation system and it would be an disadvantage to drive all the way home, log on, ask and wait for an answer when I could simply pull over and read. The advantage of this wonderful site is that I can draw from other people's experiences. That manual is not easy to read and there's many a time where I've read something, but don't remember the exact wording or what page it was on.

19. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I read my owners manual and it did help with many simple things. I do think that this site has answered the same things better than the manual does. I agree that people should use their owners manual but I am also realistic in knowing that not everyone will do so. I also know that some people will only glance it over. Lets face it the manual is very boring and I am not going to study it as though I am going to be tested on it.

I once had to use this site for info on jumping another car. My friend came over and left his lights on so his car was dead. I looked through the owner’s manual on how to jump another car. All the manual tells you is how to jump your prius. I do not recall it ever saying that you cannot jump another car. This site will tell you in simple English that you cannot do it.

So I do use this site for better info than that crappy manual provides. Also the search feature on this site is not all that great but it does work.

20. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 1 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]326460[/snapback]</div>
    Good reply. I noticed that one of the only people who actually answered the original question was Charles who referenced where in the owner's manual the answer was. Every one else seems to be bitching at Charles suggesting the owner's manual would be a good thing to consult. Charles at least was helpful.

I'm amazed no one suggested pulling the handle to find out what it does. That would be my first impulse. Then I'd be posting here to find out what I broke.

Actually, even if you don't like the manual you should at least look at the page where they point to and label what everything is. I seem to remember one of those in the fold out getting started guide.

- Tom