1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this picture?...... Problems with the hatch lock logics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Savedprius, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Moved from old Galaxy phone 2013 301.jpg I always wanted to cut a car in half. I now have put 40,000 miles on the car after this fix. The big test was pulling 2000 lbs of flooring over the Sierra from Reno to the Bay Area. I and the car made it over with flying colors. Yes I know, I'm a little psychotic, but in dumping my 2500 mega cab Cummings diesel and making this Prius into my truck, I have saved 1667 gallons of fuel or about $6500 is fuel savings in less then a year. Multiplied over four years I will have saved enough for a brand new Prius, but I would never do that, bank is better. I do get asked if I gave back my man card, my response is that I turned it into the bank, as it was to expensive.

Anyway to my problem. All doors (5) close and lock via the switch on the door or manually. When I use the key fob it sounds a continuous buzzer. When the doors are locked or not the computer thinks the rear hatch is open and keeps the electronics fired up and drains the accessory battery.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You got me lost here.

3. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Moved from old Galaxy phone 2013 301.jpg A little history.
    I always wanted to cut a car in half. I now have put 40,000 miles on the car after this fix. The big test was pulling 2000 lbs of flooring over the Sierra from Reno to the Bay Area. I and the car made it over with flying colors. Yes I know, I'm a little psychotic, but in dumping my 2500 mega cab Cummings diesel and making this Prius into my truck, I have saved 1667 gallons of fuel or about $6500 is fuel savings in less then a year. I do get asked if I gave back my man card, my response is that I turned it into the bank, as it was to expensive.

Anyway to my problem. All doors (5) close and lock via the switch on the door or manually. When I use the key fob it sounds a continuous buzzer. When the doors are locked, or not, the computer thinks the rear hatch is open and keeps the electronics fired up and drains the accessory battery.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You cut a Prius in half to turn it into a truck (?) and then have issues with the rear hatch and auxiliary battery? This is a first - Please let us know what you find out to help us when we cut our cars in half.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! what's going on there? can we have some more pics please?

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think what savedprius is saying, the computer has sensors for the 4 doors and a rear hatch, since savedprius removed the hatch for his truck configuration the computer sensors indicate that the hatch is open. What can savedprius do to trick the computer sensors to read that hatch as closed? Can he cut and connect the wires from the rear hatch sensor so that it's a continuous closed circuit?

7. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear.
    This prius is not a truck. I use the complete Prius as a work vehicle, however, it is not functionally a truck. It has five doors as any other Prius would have. It looks and acts like any other Prius. How I carried the flooring over the hill is with a trailer.

The problem, is the rear end I put in had its own clasping rear hatch mechanism. While the door closes, locks (with the exception of using the key fob) the computers think it is open and thus uses the auxiliary battery.

Moderator, this is a technical problem not a modification...

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From his old posts, I suspect he cut it in half as part of salvaging a wrecked '04 he acquired last year.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm still confused. o_O

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    probably a micro-switch in the hatch lock, which the computer wants to see open/close with the hatch. either the switch or the wiring must be messed up. it could be as simple as adjusting the position of the switch.

so are you saying you clipped your prius? back in the old days, clipping a car meant taking 1 car wrecked in the front and 1 in the back, and making 1 good car out of the pair. i believe it was illegal in most states though.

11. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you 69Shovlhed for the info, do you have any idea if the hatch lock has any "addressing logic that would need to be re-addressed, as this hatch switch came with the donor rear end?

I hadn't ever heard of the term clipping a car, but I can say that this car has been through CHP inspection and came out with flying colors. Basically I bought a rear-ended salvaged titled Prius (07, not the 04 that was mentioned above) cut off the damaged rear, bought a new rear at the yard, and put it back together. The rear end fix now has 40000 miles on it and is doing well except the switch.

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i have no idea if there is any "addressing logic" involved. i'm a benz technician, so i don't know how toyota does it. check the wiring diagram to determine if the hatch switch(es) are just simple on/off or not. and also if the '04 and '07 have differences in the wiring or switch configuration.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you checked the 12v?

14. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I have a new Optima battery. When the hatch is closed and locked via the door button or the physical key, the computer, as well as the dash lights, say the rear hatch is open when it is actually locked.

Going out to investigate the mico switch possibility mentioned above.

15. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shovlhed you are the man. The idea of the micro switch led me to the problem. There are two points of lock in the latching mechanism, mine was just short of hitting the second latch. Once a little firm adjustment was done all is good.

Daves09prius likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

17. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so happy.....:confused:

18. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sweet, glad it was an easy fix:) .

I still think a Prius/El Camino sounds like a cool concept, but I won't be the one to do it :( not enough time, money or skill to do it myself.

19. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    glad i could help. we still want to see some pix of your clip job though...

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was thinking similar - 2 door Prius hatchback would have been pretty cool.. :)