1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this removable panel?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cmstlist, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just noticed this today on the front of my C. I can't find a description in the manual. Can someone enlighten me?

[​IMG]

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

2. DoPeY5007

DoPeY5007 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is a bar that will screw into it with a loop, to be used for short distance towing by another car/truck

3. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. I'd have never guessed.

Also I'd have never guessed there's so much styrofoam under that glossy exterior!

4. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like the access opening where you attach the tow hook.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's dismaying that your dealer didn't tell you about it. My salesman made it a point when I picked up my 06 (new) to tell me about it and that if wasn't used, it could mess up the front bumper.

I'm pretty sure the styrofoam is used to absorb energy when impacted. I know that was underneath my rear bumper cover when someone knocked it off in a parking lot. :(

6. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The day I bought the car, it was late in the afternoon and I was getting hungry / low blood sugar and the process was dragging on. By the time I left I was just happy to be going, and not really feeling like having the sales guy talk to me anymore. So he showed me some of the controls I already knew how to use before leaving but I sort of cut him off and wrapped up because I wanted to leave.

Maybe that's something he was supposed to show me and I didn't give him the chance. Anything else I should know that the dealer should have told me about? :p

7. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So cars used to have frames that would go up to the bumper and have two tow points on the front and back.

Newer smaller cars, they don't extend hardly any frame metal especially in the rear (you cannot jack it up from anything further back than the rear axle). So on Kia's and these they have a place where you can thread a bolt into the frame.

If you tried to tow the back anywhere or the front, it would just be a crumpling mess of plastic.

8. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Read the owners manual. There may be stuff like putting up windows remotely, or the opening the trunk might disable the alarm. Where to jump the car if your 12V is dead (in the engine bay and in the trunk). [edit i didn't read the manual.. only under the rear passenger seat]

9. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    to prevent the car from blowing up and catching on flames.. killing you and all of its passengers inside... you must never... EVER..

*looks at the time*
    ... wait.. I need to go to lunch.

SuperABM and Surrylic like this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure the C has a front Jump Terminal, I know the Battery is under the rear seat, not under the cargo.

11. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the C doesn't have one. Owner's Manual tells you to jump from the battery itself.