1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, May 14, 2023.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I always thought it was the brake actuator but now I believe it may be related to the heated coolant storage pumping and my p1121 trouble code. All Prius make this sound but my new (2008 w 281000 miles) one does it waaay to frequently. Is it a sign my brake actuator is going to die soon because that’s a pain in the nice person. Or is it coolant related?

drive.google.com/file/d/1909oyUYhwQRnbbhF4GCYcUdrCpNZcbZA/view?usp=drivesdk

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sound is from the 3 way coolant valve

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... which is, of course, in the engine coolant loop.

4. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    oh so that p1121 ....why does my scanner say thats a throttle position sensor code? is it because its a generic code scanner not prius specific? Also, the dealership said they replaced this part already. Im calling BS

5. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also im hearing terrible things about aftermarket parts for this (which i feel is the norm for this car, "OEM everything") . So what is that going to run me? and is it ill advised to just go pull one from a scrap yard ? And while we are on the topic why do afterarket parts blow so hard?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's not all aftermarket parts It seems to be just a few of them and it looks to me like it's a race to the bottom by factories that make things by tearing apart a factory Toyota pancake pump for the inverter and an aftermarket one you cannot tell by looking by cutting them in half. You can tell nothing is a mess The color of the circuit board the soldering the pump impeller the plastic etc all looks to be on par with a working device even looking carefully at the circuit board the soldering the mag drive for the impeller seems to look okay compared to a cut open factory Toyota Asian model so it must be something a factory learned how to do or something like this some process that they skip washing the board between soldering something I don't know. Bearings and things like that are not specific to the Prius there's a lot of cheap bearing manufacturers out there that makes these things just so you can get them on the car to sell it what is the point I don't really get that I'd rather spend the extra $28 just so the job is done reasonable I don't care about saving $28 and seeing the wheels fall off or they go round and round sounding like a cheese grater That's something for jackass in the videos not anything to do with mechanic work and working on things It's not even comedy It's just pure stupid but oh well.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because that is what the code means in some other Toyotas
    Bongo.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or even some other car entirely. P1 codes are assigned by manufacturers, so the same P1 code is allowed to mean completely different things to different manufacturers, and even in different car models from the same manufacturer. Manufacturer's choice.

[​IMG]

People get weird ideas of what a code is telling them either by using Google to look up a manufacturer's-choice code (and then not carefully eliminating the Google results that are not for exactly their car), or by using a generic scan tool that has some fortune cookies for codes built into it.

In general, if you're using a scan tool that isn't Techstream and it doesn't know exactly what car model you've got, you are best off just writing down what the code is, and ignoring anything the tool tells you it means, and looking the code up in your car's repair manual.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

It's a little different if you get a code in one of the "SAE defined" ranges. Those are supposed to mean (roughly) the same thing in any car. On the other hand, because of that, they are often super generic. You might find some code has an SAE fortune cookie like "Drive Motor A Performance", but Toyota calls their motors MG1 and MG2, and you may still need to check a Prius repair manual to find out which one they matched up with the SAE codes for "drive motor A" or "drive motor B".

Keep in mind that even doing a search for the code on PriusChat is still dicey, because it will turn up all the posts by people who looked up their codes in Google and then posted about them here. But at least you will get a better signal-to-noise ratio searching here than you will by plain googling.

9. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oingo Boingo?

10. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ha. You rule , dude. It is just so hard to fight my inner cheapskate. But if i have to do this bearing job twice , thatll learn me right quick. So does rockauto have genuine OEM parts or do i literally have to go to a stealership to get it?