1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this winshield washer part?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GFO, Sep 24, 2018.

1. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,

Hoping someone can give me the name and/or part number of this part. It’s the small [black] three-way valve that splits the front windshield washer fluid into two lines from the pump; one going to passenger-side windshield washer nozzle; the other to the driver's nozzle. I forgot to take a picture of it (will do so later if need be), but here’s a rudimentary drawing:

[​IMG]

Bit of back story: For the last 3-4 months the amount of windshield washer fluid that has been coming out of the passenger-side nozzle has been steadily decreasing. I tried cleaning the nozzle out with a very thin needle; that did nothing. About a month ago it finally completely stopped/clogged, so I only had fluid coming out the passenger side, all-in-all, a minor inconvenience as a single nozzle covers a lot of the windshield as it. About two weeks ago the front windshield washer pump stopped working, so it was time to act. I ordered a replacement pump from Amazon ($16.00 USD) and this past weekend I replaced it, about 40mins of work. I also decided to track down the cause of the passenger-side clog and get everything working back to spec, so I removed the engine hood inner covering (well, just the two plastic rivets on the passenger side) exposing the windshield wiper fluid lines and tracked the clog to the strange-looking T-fitting. Blowing air threw it via my mouth/lungs, I noticed that air would pass through the out-port to the driver’s side, but nothing to the passenger’s side; also noticed that is has an anti-drain feature, where fluid (air in my testing) can only go one way. I ended up replacing the fitting with a small standard plastic T-fitting from the local car part’s shop and everything works fine; albeit I get a bit more spray pressure, but it also takes an extra three or so seconds for the fluid to come out, I’m guessing this is due to my T-fitting not having the anti-drain feature. I would like to restore it all back to factory spes.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original fitting probably has a check valve in it, and it clogged.
    You might have to remove the washer take and clean it out. It can get a film in it depending on the
    type of washer fluid you use. That's probably why your washer motor stopped working.
    What I did on Town & Country was remove the motors and use a hose at the top to flush it out.
    A lot of nasty stuff came out! I also sprayed out the pumps.
    I've seen check valves at different auto parts stores, just put it in line before the splitter.

3. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys, found the part cheap on eBay