1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is Toyota's response to the Model 3?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by TheChosenOne, Apr 1, 2016.

1. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And look what happen with the Corvair! o_O

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, 1,835,170 made. :D

Trollbait likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Saw a Corvair on the road in the past year. It had a Honda emblem on the side. It seems dropping a Honda motor into the car is a common mod.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    loved the corvair, great car.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    lots of converted corvairs still out there. Here's my favorite;
    eBay find of the Day: all-electric 1966 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa conversion
    EV - so simple - that there are literally thousands out on the highways that were converted from something else by DIY'ers.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually think this is a valid question.
    But I'd generalize it more.

It's not so much what is Toyota's response to the Model 3, but more what is the automotive industries reaction to the popularity and success of Tesla.

I think there is something for Toyota, and every major automaker to learn from what is happening with Tesla.

And maybe it's as simple and basic as build a quality product, even a full electric, and people will buy it.
    If you build it, they will come.

With all the lip service EVERY automaker presents about being on the cutting edge of development and research, it's interesting to me, that perhaps the most dynamic, exciting product to emerge in recent years has been The Tesla.
    Has it been the most accessible? No.
    But I do think every automaker has to look within and ask themselves why it's a private, smaller operation like Tesla that has created products that are on the leading edge of No Compromise in performance for alternative automobiles.

Trust me, I believe Toyota would of LOVED to have the excitement that The Tesla Model 3 has already generated, surround the Mirai.

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If Toyota had spent the last 8 or so years building out a nationwide Hydrogen distribution system, there might be much more excitement for the Mirai.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If the toyota lobby bilked a trillion from taxpayers for infrastructure - yes that could have happened ... 4 seater hydrogen cars for everyone

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think toyota is happy with the government subsidies, as are all the other manufacturers.

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

How about the '59 Caddy with the massive chrome bumper with the chrome "bumperettes" (read nipples)?

Just saying....

DBCassidy

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think Toyota is waiting to see what really happens in the long run.

For all the hype that is coming out the last few months/years about Tesla and their Supercharger's the fact remains that even that charging network is NOT nationwide and there will be places where your Model 3 will not make it. Especially with a 2XX mile range. Take a look at Tesla's website Supercharger | Tesla Motors and view where the chargers are. In places like Texas where I live, you are not going to be able to go up to Shreveport, LA from Houston, TX. Even if you incorporate all of the so called destination locations there are still plenty of highways/byways that have NO existing chargers at this time.

A lot of you are saying oh the private sector will pick up the slack. If that is the case, why is it that the private sector hasn't already put in chargers for existing EV's that are on the roads today everywhere?

Here in Texas the private sector is EVGo. Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations | NRG EVgo Try finding a charger to get a Leaf from Houston to Lufkin, TX and back. It is not going to happen. Sure I could drive a Tesla to Huntsville, then go to Lufkin and back to Huntsville, then home, but does that make my trip convenient to me? When you are tied to a non existing network of refueling stations (chargers) how in the world is one to get around easily and quickly.? Private Sector? I seriously doubt it looking at what is going on today and has been for the last few years here in Texas. Sure, you can charge at home all you wan't but you can only go a little over 100 miles before you have to turn around and go back unless you want to depend on another charger down the road, if it is on your route.

Yeah, those in Cali will benefit from all those Superchargers out there, but there are plenty of places elsewhere here in the US and abroad that doesn't have a charger for a EV, whether it be a Nissan Leaf, or a Tesla Model 3/Roadster etc.

#51 dorunron, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They can use anything from a 4 mph, 120 V outlet and up. In effect the Leaf and other charger networks provide a backup for the Supercharger network.

Bob Wilson

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but there's not much around here. if you want to drive from northeast to florida along i95, good luck.

dorunron likes this.
  14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bob, no offense but there are not existing chargers to get a Leaf from Houston, TX to Lufkin, TX and back unless you know someone along the way who might let you plug in to their existing 120 volt outlet. That is why I still drive the Prius. Would have bought a leaf when I bought the 2013. We even looked at them and priced them before we signed the papers. EVGo is the charger system down here for the Leaf and you can't charge the Leaf at a Tesla station.

Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations | NRG EVgo

I am using the Leaf as an example of a problem that is existing today and will only be amplified by the release of more EV's (Tesla Model 3)...

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    somehow, we need every gas station to start installing chargers.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as they're way separate from the pumps. ;)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put them near the 'free' air.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last numbers I saw, California will have more charging stations in 2018-2020 than there are gaso stations in the whole country.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, would be interesting to see those stats and logistics. still, it makes a big difference depending on how long it takes to charge.

OldNSlow likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Supercharger network is still expanding, and Teslas can charge from a RV plug if need be, along with Chademo adapters available.

As for why the private sector hasn't put in fast DC charging. Well, the only 200+ mile BEVs out there now are Teslas, and they got the Supercharger network.

The only other nationally available BEV that sells in any numbers is the Leaf. Sub 100 mile range BEVs will be tedious for most on long trips. Specially if it doesn't have DC fast charging. Nissan is part of the Chademo group. Chademo had high licensing fees in the beginning. Which made the chargers pricey, and led to GM and others to forge their own DC fast charging standard.

So any potential DC fast charger station owner needs to have both types of plug, and more importantly, cars that will use them. Most people want the 200+ miles before considering a BEV for long trips, and of those willing to do it in a Leaf, their Leaf may not have the Chademo option.

Ashlem likes this.