1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your best MPG so far this spring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by itsme, Mar 27, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Apr 9 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]420223[/snapback]</div>
    Chris might, but I do not know about me. Outside temp was 24F this morning, morning commute only 58.0 MPG. I had a 70 MPG tank working until winter resurfaced. (We had snow on the ground Saturday morning!) It's at 68 now, 4 pips left. The weather is supposed to moderate this week, but I'm not sure if I can recover 70 before fillup.

2. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got another new personal best tank, MPG-wise: 66.8 MPG. See the April 2007 Averages thread for more, along with an interesting pic I took shortly after that fillup.

Can't wait for the weather really to break!

3. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 14 2007, 07:50 PM) [snapback]423400[/snapback]</div>
    FireEngineeer,

You have the lead for this month. :D I will have to try next month. A few short trips in colder temps (35F) and with rain; I have dropped to 74.0 mpg on the display. I will pump up at the end of the month and not shortfill so that I don't accidently beat 80 mpg. :p

What was your MFD display when you hit the 80.5 calculated?

4. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How has the spring been? In a word, great! I bought my 2007 in December and posted 41 mpg for my first tank.

Then, I learned to drive it efficiently, solidified my route, started biking & walking for short trips, enjoyed the arrival of a Texas spring, installed a block heater, bought a ScanGauge II, and started to notice the 5000 mile break in. My last tank?

[​IMG]

Of course, I have to spread out the credit. Evan, for his great EBH installation instructions. The VA triumvirate of JimboK, Skywre7, and (especially) VABeachPrius for giving me tanks to shoot for, Danny for organizing the SGII group buy, and others at CleanMPG & PriusChat for various tips.

If I can just find a way to plug in the EBH at work, I think 75 could happen. That's assuming I can somehow avoid significant AC.................fan, ice vest, and a newly purchased heat shield may help for a month or two.

5. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ Apr 15 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]423684[/snapback]</div>
    I'm giving you tanks to shoot for?? It's folks like you and Chris that are setting the bar!

Just curious: What kind of fan are you using?

6. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 15 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]423716[/snapback]</div>
    By fan, I just meant the Prius "outside air" vent with AC off. Although if you know of any "cooling fans" that attach, or, for that matter, anything at all that can keep me from turning on the AC, I'm all ears :). I'm always searching for ways to avoid AC.

Actually, the best solution to my Texas heat problem is fairly simply. I come home sweaty. My wife rolls her eyes. My mileage stays high. Everyone wins. :)

7. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ Apr 15 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]423744[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, OK. I was hoping that along with everything else you were doing, you might have found that magical cooling fan.

My solution to last summer's heat was the same as yours. But without the vest. Virginia's summers can get pretty hot, but I think I can skip that one. My fiancee rolls her eyes enough as it is. :)

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think on CleanMPG.com or gassavers.org Dan Kroushl bought a seat cushion which blew air through the cushion like some Porsche and others. And the cushion had one of those cooling chips some car coolers use. He was suppose to review and see if it was worth it, but I don't remember hearing anything else since his move south.

Now I have to watch you Texas fella's as well as the Virginia guys, I say we trade drives for a couple of months to make it even.

Wayne

9. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    30-40 mph winds today really put things in the shi**er. I am down to 72.9 on the MFD. Can't it be 70F or higher again with no wind when I have time on my hands? Work is forcing me to pick-up people several times a day. Ugggh, several cold starts. There's nothing like losing 0.5 mpg everytime I start and park the car after a short trip.

Oh, well, I will have to try in May. I will be gone for almost three weeks on a boat trip from Norfolk to Tampa and back. Nothing beats fuel economy like burning 10,000 gallons of diesel - 0.365 nautical mile/gallon ~ $9/nautical mile. :eek:

10. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Apr 17 2007, 01:06 AM) [snapback]424465[/snapback]</div>
    Awww, poor baby! :)

11. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm on my way to a tank over 60 MPG. I'm hoping to keep it that way through the next few days. I have found a couple of route adjustments that seem to help out. Now I just need to add an EBH (Wayne? May 5th?). :lol:

12. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the weather holds out I'll post my first over 70 MPG/800 mile tank. Wait...if I go to Virginia I'll blow this tank average...oooh, head spinning.

Wayne

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Still waiting for spring here in Gotham City.

14. Dubsky

Dubsky New Member

Just done 23.3mpg in my car! I'm happy.

15. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dubsky @ Apr 18 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]425294[/snapback]</div>
    Dude. You've got to really work hard to get low of mileage in a Prius. Did you drive more than one block? Did you make sure the parking brake was off? And I assume you had the heat/AC running full blast for the tiny distance of your drive.

16. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dubsky @ Apr 18 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]425294[/snapback]</div>
    Is that for an entire tank of gas and not just a little drive across the street? Seriously what is your avrg per tank? Or are you a lazy bastard and instead of walking to your neighbor’s house you get in and drive two feet.