1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your favorite driving music?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GasGuzzler87, Jun 19, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I usually listen to books on CD that I borrow from the library. My favorite genres are mysteries and thrillers, courtroom dramas etc.

When I do listen to music, it's either classical or 60's oldies -- Beatles, Doors, Cream, etc.

(I guess I'm aging myself.)

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 28 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]278232[/snapback]</div>
    then you're about my age!

I've never listened to 'books on tape' or 'books on CD' - reading books is my mindless entertainment, since I rarely watch TV (exceptions are the Tony awards and Red Sox games I can get locally;otherwise it's MLB TV)

I almost always listen to classical music on WQXR, the NY Times radio station out of New York City. Once in a while I'll put a CD on - mostly classical, some cast CD's, even some folk music, some jazz (particularly female volcalists like Sarah Vaughn and Dinah Washington. I'll have to remember to pack CD's for my trip up to Massachusetts over the long weekend - WQXR tends to phase out by the time I'm 100 miles in to the trip <G>

What's in my player right now is The Planets, Leila Josefowitz's "Americana" album, an old Joshua Bell album that has the piano-violin duet arrangement of Carmen (mind blank on the arranger) and an Itzak Perlmann album with that same arrangement. I will NOT bring my Chopin trio in A minor - it's so beautiful that it transports me, which doesn't make particularly safe driving <g>

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Down under stuff, Colin Hay, The Mutton Birds, Crowded House, Split Enz
    Classic rock: Jethro Tull, The Who, Queen, etc
    Classical: Bach and Beethoven primarily

Tonnes of others but that's a pretty good overview.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a lovely ride up I-5 in northern California on a sunny day, listening to Glenn Miller.

In traffic, I like:
    Gregorian Chant
    Ravi Shankar
    Brian Eno
    Enya
    Japanese flute
    Oboe
    Ravel
    Bach
    Books on CD's (Tony Hillerman novels, etc)

Open Highway:
    Lyrical Jazz (not the "stacatto")/Blues
    Folk music, ala Pete Seeger, Simon and Garfunkel (Why is there no Republican folk music?)
    Glenn Miller and 1940's era swing music
    Handel
    Books on CD

The "zen" of the Prius seems to evoke certain types of music. Hard to describe here, but I sometimes imagine the Prius as being part of a soft-edged, carpeted interior "future", in which soft jazz music (not Barry Manilow) percolates through an air filtered cabin to create an inviting and environmentally friendly atmosphere. I think it's a measure of genius in the Prius design that the car evokes so much more than transportation. It connotes a much more benevolent technology and suggests a very different future from the degradation, violence, noise and pollution of the present.

Nice posting, thanks for asking the question.
    Bob

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ 2006 Jun 28, 04:29 PM) [snapback]278232[/snapback]</div>
    Classical OR 60's? The sixties stuff IS classic! :D

I've burned an eclectic mix spanning about 50 years - REM, Tragically Hip, Cat Stevens, Darude, Neil Young, U2, Outkast, and yes, a few Beatles and Rolling Stones. I'm influenced by my own youth (yes, I DO remember the sixties) and that of my daughters, both of whom seem to like my taste in music instead of rebelling against it. Mom's the one into 'classical', but she's in the minority in this family. We play name that tune with the 'new' stuff just to tease her.