1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your favorite green product?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by EcoGreenGuru, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :blah:

Fist of all why do you keep followin me around the forum? You alway respond to my post for some reson and even acuse me of bein that arab guy. :mad:

Now you know I'm not educated like you but culd you please explin to this dumb contry fellow how pushin a peddle sittin down in a recumbent insted of on a regular bike is more power? You still push teh peddle down. I think you speak BS an try to pull one over on me.

Thank for the advise about the roundup under teh astrosterf. :cheer2: You see i can lern from fellows like you so respect what this contry guy can say as well thank you very much.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know the physics of it, but a recumbent has significantly less wind resistance as well.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First, it is "pedal", not "peddle". To peddle something is to sell it door to door. Pedal is of or pertaining to the foot, as in the pedal on a bicycle.

Recumbent bicycles are more efficient for two reasons:

1) The low sitting position reduces aerodynamic drag.

2) The seated pedaling position allows the pedaler to brace against the seat back, allowing the full strength of the leg to be used against the pedal.

On a conventional upright bicycle, pedaling force is limited by the weight of the rider. Push too hard and it lifts the rider off of the seat. This is a two-edged sword: standing is good for low speed hill climbing, but not as efficient for moving across the flat at speed.

The increased pedaling force with a recumbent is good for flat and downhill riding. However, it does pose an increased risk for the rider's knees. The other downside is not being able to stand for hill climbing. Most riders find serious hill climbing easier with an upright bicycle.

Tom

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Because I like you!

He's not Arab. He's Greek. The avatar is misleading. Probably intentional so we won't suspect who he is.

Tom beat me to it. See his post above.

5. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well at lest you back off from lovin me on that other post when i told you to back off. You can like me but i dont roll thta other way thank you very much. :rockon:

I dont know how you think he is greek with that name but whateve you think. Greks fellow have names like Onasis and such like that Kenedy chick hookd up with.

I ridden a bicyle a few time in my day Daniel. WWhen i peddle hard i dont fly up off the seat injto the sky lol. you and your buddy think its like jumpin up an down an such. :cheer2:dont tell me it rainin and peeon my boot if you know what i meen.

Now i can by it si more arodynomic but it is also more likly to get wacked by a fast movin dully or a tractor. So you ride that silly bike a hopfully you are not a spedbump. :target:

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Jocko, put a bathroom scale on the floor and stand on it. How much force are you exerting? It will be your weight. Now do the same experiment standing in a doorway, where you can brace your hands on the top of the door frame. Press as hard as you can and you will exert considerably more force than you could while standing free on the scale.

The same is true with a recumbent, except you brace your back against a seat. It is not only more powerful, but it is also much more comfortable.

Tom

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My favorite green product is the tree. They provide shade beauty and sometimes food. They also hold the soil.

Hey, I'm partially with Jocko, gulp.
    Your recumbent is going to have more drag than the tucked position on a tri or time-trial bike. If you are lifting off a conventional bike, you probably are in a poor riding position or the wrong gear, unless you are standing on purpose for terrain or power.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89049-recumbent-bike-benefits/

They also often have a more comfortable seating position, especially for heavier riders. For long rides I, wear those ugly padded biking shorts on my mountain or tri-bike. I can not ride my tri-bike well at low speeds, but a recumbent would be extremely stable.

Any bike is going to provide good exercise. Most of my biking miles are for biking not for transportation so I'm really not saving much fuel.

I'm not sure if a recumbent is more likely to be hit than other bikes, but I agree with your other points. I would choose a mountain bike to ride on your astroturf lawn though;-)

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Skandor Akbar" means "Alexander the Great." Alexander was a Greek. You'd have liked him. He conquered a pretty big chunk of what he knew of the world. (There were some big parts he didn't know about, so he missed those. He also got his nice person kicked in Afghanistan. But mostly he won his battles.)

I'm not likely to get hit by any trucks on my bike. It never leaves my basement. Don't be fooled by the fact that it travels a million miles a day. That's because it's riding on the Earth, which is whizzing around the galaxy and taking us all (including my exercise bike) with it. :D

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A racing recumbent has less aerodynamic drag than a time-trial bike. Even in the tucked position your legs extend downward and create drag. Recumbents are not used in bike racing because they were banned. They were banned because of the advantages listed here, plus the limitations with hill climbing.

Somehow this discussion has become misdirected. My point isn't that a normal rider on a wedgie will lift off the seat during normal riding. My point is that a recumbent rider can exert greater force on the pedals.

Tom

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recumbents were banned from a certain class of racing in 1934 because they were deemed to be an unfair advantage. A so-called lesser racer was beating the elites on his funny-looking bike, so the Union Cycliste Internationale banned it, and most other attempts at technological development since then. What most people picture when they think 'bicycle' is essentially an 1885 Rover Safety Cycle.

Recumbents are raced extensively in many places, though you'll never see them in more famous races like the Tour de France, which is controlled by the UCI. Freed from political restraints and barriers to innovation, the current bicycle speed record is just shy of 83 mph.

Here's a link to the World Human Powered Speed Championships, held annually in Nevada.

Yes, I said 83 mph. On a bicycle. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aaaah! Enough about recumbents!

My answer - both literally and figuratively.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    sure a racing recumbent with a full body or very good fairing, but you lose visibility since you are far back and very low to the ground. I wouldn't try one except on a closed track or on a closed race. They were banned in the 30s. No racing bike is allowed aero fairings for the rider, which would disqualify all the fastest recumbents. It is the ones with these modifications that get the human powered speed records. I would love it if the rules banning recumbents went away, but the aerodynamic rules remained in place.

You can definitely climb in a recumbent if you have the strength or gearing. I was talking about recumbents that are actually used on the roads. There is no way the bike pictured even with the best fairings is more aero than my, rather run of the mill triathlon bike.

Sure. In rare cases you can generate more power on a recumbent. You can also handle higher top speeds. A tri-bike keeps weight forward on the aerobars, which hurts high speed stability. When you stand for power on a triathlon bike or road bike you take stress off your knees, so its a trade-off. Most recumbents that I see are not about maximum power, but about higher comfort.

My choice is a mountain bike and a tri-bike. More power to those commuting on recumbents or and bike.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can you keep this up indefinitely? Or is this just sort of an evening diversion for you every now and again? I have to admit that it's lots of fun.

Perverted bathtub thing. You crack me up. Oh... and real homophobes don't know the term "alternate lifestyles" so watch the character slips!

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ridden various recumbents for many years and thousands of miles. I'm convinced they are safer, faster, and more comfortable.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's worth noting that recumbents come in differing degrees of recumbency. On some, the rider is almost sitting upright, as if on a lawn chair. On some, the rider is lying flat on his back. Some have small wheels, some have big wheels. It seems to me it might be hard to see while riding flat on your back, but I've seen such bikes on the Centennial Trail (a wide, asphalt trail that runs from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene, and is used by walkers, joggers, rollerbladers, cyclists, etc.)

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have another photo of it with the seat?

Tom

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True enough. Bicycles come in many flavours, and there should be one to satisfy just about anybody's palette. Granted, some of the racier flavours are an acquired taste and not for everyday consumption. I call them 'dragsters' and 'funny bikes', because they're about as well suited to a daily commute.

The smaller the butt, the smaller the seat. Looks fine to me. :p

18. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

:blah:

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lovely garage door, Darell. Next time, move that other stuff out of the way so that we can get a better view of it.

1 person likes this.
  20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey, that saddle is one of the heaviest things on the bike. Weighs a full pound. Best saddle in the world IMO. But then I've been intimate with the CEO of the company so I may be biased.

Funny that when I look at that picture of the bike when I first brought it home, I'm amazed at how much I've changed on it already. Saddle is still the same... but new wheels, cluster, bars, seat post, stem, headset. But hey, the bottle cages, pedals and saddle are the same. ;)

Roger that. Here's what the other side of the same door looks like:
    [​IMG]