1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your miles/kWh (total average electricity consumption) on the "Drive Monitor 2"

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Salamander_King, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Trying to remember the last time I bought gas, but I believe it was sometime in mid-May. Over 1700 miles on this tank, and it's still almost half full! I will have at least two long trips in August that will bring this current streak to an end. But it is certainly nice for now!

2. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "5.3" for quite a while now...

pic.jpg

I've managed to get and sustain 5.3 for quite a while now (FWIW, I do "B" EV if in city/rush hour).
    It was 5.2 for a long time... then maybe 9 months ago it crept up to 5.3.
    Never managed to get it to 5.4 -- but it's never gone back down to 5.2 either. Just kind of stays there at 5.3 :)
    And though the "Average MPG" can be reset easily, that Drive Monitor 2 "5.3" is the average from Day 1 (as it doesn't matter if I go back and forth between ODO, Trip A or Trip B -- which have been reset at different times -- the 5.3 stays the same at Drive Monitor 2).

As far as the "daily" EV numbers it's remarkably consistent. I think the lowest I've ever seen is 4.7-4.8 for all full-speed (64mph) freeway driving, and the highest I've ever seen has been around 6.5. But unless it's ALL full-speed freeway driving, I'll always get at least 5.0 (a mix of full-speed freeway + city will yield that; all city or rush hour will be mid 5s+). And as I flip by day after day to look at the history, the vast majority all seem to be between 5.1 - 5.6 -- thus the 5.3 number has managed to remain remarkably consistent.

Note that I rarely use A/C, as even in the summer the climate here isn't that bad, so I'll usually just open the windows if I'm moving (though on the few times that I have used the A/C, it's only made a small dent in the numbers. A very efficient A/C). Likewise, mild winter climate, so have only used the heater a couple times.

#62 stevepea, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Salamander_King and Arctic_White like this.
  3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    So here's the odd thing again:

As the max range improves and approaches 33.2 miles (69.6km), the predicted ranges for climate ON & OFF are identical. I saw this exact same thing last summer but I reluctantly dismissed it since the car was barely 5 months old.

One would think the impact on ER with climate ON would maximize at higher operating efficiencies, not minimize to the point of approaching equality. The display certainly does not appear to agree with this assumption.

If my bone-headed assumption is correct, then Toyota needs to have another look at the algorithms & inputs governing this display (Drive Monitor 2). :(

2019-07-29 21.13.38.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Strange. Have you been using any AC lately? As you know DM2 bottom two numbers are copy of what GOM displays with or without AC. I have noticed my two numbers are getting further apart lately compared to what I was seeing in May or Jun. I don't think those two numbers are in any way related to increased (or decreased) EV range but I think related to frequency of AC (cool or heat) use.

IMG_20190731_174131.jpg

5. Blauer Glimmer

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    7.3!!!

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the whole month, no less!! :eek: That's amazing, @Salamander_King.

Arctic_White and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, 7.3 miles/kWh is the record high for monthly average in two years. Still after 30K on odometer, my DM2 number for the lifetime average would not budge from 4.6 miles/kWh.:cry::cry::cry:

#67 Salamander_King, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  8. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, I use AC at temps above 21C (70F). My usual approach is to set the climate control to 1-2C below ambient temp, which in my case grants me a single-digit AC percentage load (1-9% AC load).
    At temps below 21C and above 10C, I set the climate to the "Lo" setting which causes only the fan to be on.

...Which leads me to another observation I made also last year:
    When you set the climate control to "LO" and with the AC off, the Prime displays the lowest possible Eco rating in the popup display. Based on the actual current drain while in operation, this should not be so. If I am right, I think Toyota may have to look at this and fix it too.

Arctic_White likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked my photos and got following numbers from my DM2. They are Date, GOM without AC, GOM with AC, % difference between two. They are all from EV SOC 100% range. I am not seeing what you are observing. I don't think I have ever seen the GOM showing the same numbers for with AC vs without AC. As you saw on my number on AC load, I used very little AC during May and June, but when I do use AC, I almost always set it at 70F AUTO and don't change much of setting.

8/1 37.1-34.4 7.8%
    7/1 37.1-34.8 6.6%
    6/19 38.0-35.7 6.4%
    6/15 36.9-35.4 4.2%
    5/10 31.3-29.7 5.4%

This I have never noticed. I pay very little attention to the Eco Scores and I certainly have never used LO setting on my AC. Something to look into. Humm...

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reset my stats when I bought the car. Now, after about 11,000 miles, it has not budged from 5.1 m/kWh no matter what.

Arctic_White and Salamander_King like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, as the odometer gets higher number, the life time average does not fluctuate as much from month to month. I was hoping to get the number higher before the winter, but it may not happen. My average winter month (Nov-Apr) numbers are in 3-4miles/kWh range.

Arctic_White likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think mine fluctuated after the first day. o_O

Salamander_King and Arctic_White like this.
  13. Blauer Glimmer

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think mine is stuck at 4.6 also. It seems to have no influence on the GoM, though. This morning my predicted miles on DM2 and the battery icon read 35.4 without AC, and I know I didn't have 7.7 kW available (35.4/4.6).

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine started at 4.7 first month after purchased new, and went up 4.8 next month (Sep), then came down 4.7, 4.5, 4.4, 4.4, 4.3. Stayed at 4.3 after the first winter until next Aug when it went up 4.4. and up to 4.5 and down again to 4.4 and up again to 4.5 for a year until recently when I finally got it to move up to 4.6.

Yes, it is a life time average, so it is not indication of what EV range you will get today or tomorrow.

Arctic_White likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. I pretty much just ignore it.

Salamander_King likes this.
  16. Blauer Glimmer

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same. I'm more interested in what the GoM tells me I should shoot for today ;)

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this morning when I checked Drive Monitor 2, it was up by 0.1. I am now at 4.7 miles/kWh lifetime average at 31kmiles.

IMG_20190802_070658.jpg

18. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All you guys!
    Drive slower and all your hopes and dreams will come true !!(y)

Arctic_White likes this.
  19. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wish I could but NJ drivers keep interrupting my EV hypermilling.

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, tell me about it. :D

Prius from Dad likes this.