1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your miles/kWh (total average electricity consumption) on the "Drive Monitor 2"

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Salamander_King, Jun 4, 2019.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't believe 5.46 kWh usable capacity is accurate. Any time I drive from 100% to 0% and divide the trip miles by the miles/kWh on the display I get within a percent or two of 6.0 kWh. That jives with the Kill-A-Watt that tells me a full charge takes 6.6 kWh with the charging system around 90% efficiency.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The number I used on my original post on this thread was based on what I have read in some other thread that stated 23% to 85% of the traction battery is used for EV MODE drive. This calculates to 5.46kWh of the traction battery is used for EV (.62*8.8). However, my own finding from Hybrid Assistance shows actual battery SOC used for the EV ranges 100%-0% is more like 80%-14%. This is 66% of the SOC with a battery that has 8.8kWh max capacity. Thus the full capacity used for EV is more like (.66*8.8) = 5.808kWh. Still not as high as you think it to be.

#162 Salamander_King, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  3. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Then my car is lying to me. If I had to choose between the % capacity or the miles/kWh, I'd guess that the miles/kWh is where the inaccuracy lies. Perhaps there is a relationship with the 50-mile limitation on the GOM.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are correct. I don't think the miles/kWh reported by the car either on DM2 or on Eco Diary is a number derived from the actual miles driven on EV mode divided by the actual battery kWh used for that distance. Of course, there is also possibility that SOC % reported by the car is not accurate. We have discussed this phenomenon in depth in this thread, MPG in Hybrid Mode | Page 14 | PriusChat (somewhere around this page, but the discussion continued on and on and on). However, we never came to a satisfactory explanation why the numbers do not match.

#164 Salamander_King, Nov 21, 2019
  5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Interesting thread. One thing that caught my eye was the lack of expected battery degradation after a year of driving (a tangent, I know). I would expect that the ~33% of unused capacity conceals the initial loss of capacity. I would imagine Toyota would like to manage the battery in such a way that the degradation consumed "reserve" capacity first to give the end user the benefit of 100% usable capacity for as long as possible. A standard LiPO4 battery would require somewhere around 1,200 discharge cycles (using 67% depth of discharge) before degradation reached more than 33%. In my routine that would take 5 - 6 years.

Batteries lose more capacity initially than later on. Data from 400+ users of Teslas suggests that after a loss of 4% in the first ~30,000 miles, they only lost 5% more over the next 120,000 miles. In that case a Prime owner would never feel the degradation over the average time most people own their car.

#165 PiPLosAngeles, Nov 21, 2019
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I have thought of that possibility as well. From the wall, the charge amount has not changed on my PRIME for the last two years. As you commented, a full charge by L1 takes 6.4-6.7kWh depending on how deeply I used HV portion of the battery before plugging. If Toyota somehow programmed the car to hide the capacity loss by sifting the "reserve" capacity, we would never be able to detect it by looking at the wall charge. Unfortunately, I did not start using Hybrid Assistant until this summer, so I don't know what the SOC being reported were when EV SOC is 100% and 0%. If that number changes over the years, that would be a good indication that there is programmatic way to keep the usable SOC constant by dipping into the reserved area of the SOC.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I rather doubt that Toyota would reduce the amount of reserve in order to maintain a consistent amount of useable energy. It seems to me like that would accelerate the degradation of the battery once the car started doing that.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    An adventurous person could just connect some leads directly to the battery and charge it up to capacity and do a full discharge test at 0.1C.

It would definitely be a judgement call. Do you want to preserve the appearance of zero degradation over the warranty period at the expense of capacity later on, or allow the user to experience degradation earlier in the interest of extending usable battery life even beyond 10 - 15 years? If it were my decision I would opt for the former for warranty and initial owner satisfaction scores.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just looked at my daily log to confirm my statement above. Unfortunately, I did not keep all the daily record of what actually used at the wall for a full charge (meaning the car was showing 0% SOC or NO EV range left before plugged). In addition, I have changed my driving habit somewhat so that it is now rare for me to deplete the EV range all the way down to zero before I plug in my car. But from small numbers of record I have for the FULL CHARGE, I got following numbers for the monthly average. X-axis is the month since I purchased the car. Y-axis is the average kWh for a full charge (only the day with full charge is included). For many months, I did not keep daily record, although the total amount used for the period was recorded.

From this graph, it seems there maybe ~5% battery degradation over last 27 months. What do you think?

average full charge (kWh).png

#169 Salamander_King, Nov 21, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Looks to me like a flat curve for the first 16 months and then a sudden and rapid decline. That would be disconcerting to me because it's the opposite of the expected curve. Even if linear, that would mean the Prime is losing capacity much more rapidly than Teslas.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that I don't have records for months 6-17. And I changed my driving habit this year at 20 months mark (around March) not to deplete all of the EV range completely, so the data is from very small numbers of days when I did a full charge. I will try generating error bars to see if any of those average points are significantly different from each other.

#171 Salamander_King, Nov 21, 2019
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There does seem to be a trend. But like you said, it's a small sample set. I would have the same problem because I rarely use all my charge before I get home. But I do think that I'll start putting an asterisk in front of the charges that are on a depleted battery in the future. I should get one of those tomorrow because I have a 40+ mile trip coming up.

But my other problem with tracking it is that my meter reads in 1 kWh increments once it gets up to 10 kWh or something like that. To be accurate, I'd have to reset it before it gets to that point and add up all the numbers for my total when I get gas every six weeks to three months. That's a LOT of adding! Ideally, I would need two meters.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another big problem with my data is that even though I have marked a day when my EV range reached zero on the MID as a full charge, as I saw on my Hybrid Assistant report, this depleted SOC can be quite variable anywhere from 11% to 14% of SOC in only three time points. Someone on other thread stated that this can go down as low as 7-8% of SOC on HV drive after depletion of EV range. It is very rare for me to reach my home just when the EV range reach the zero point, which is usually 14% SOC. If I keep driving my car in HV mode with depleted EV range on HV mode, by the time I reach my home there can be as much as 7% SOC differences to be re-charged from the wall. This is a huge variation.

I think to make a valid comparison over time, I have to use HA to record the depleted SOC and compare that to the same exact condition sometime later.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The SOC is only estimated from voltage. I'm not sure the relationship between voltage and capacity is constant as the battery's capacity declines. I'm starting to think the only reliable way to track loss of capacity is to charge the battery to 100% SOC using an independent charger and to discharge it down to 0% independently of the car.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I calculated SD and SEM for each data set. They don't look that big. I did not know how to plot an error bar using Excell chart. I just copy the raw data. I also added n=2 data for this month (Nov) not included in my previous graph plotted. The average for Nov (the last data point in the graph below) was higher than in previous months.

average fullcharge.png

average fullcharge raw data.png

#175 Salamander_King, Nov 21, 2019
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tracking data like this is rather interesting. But I'm not going to obsess over it because all the records in the world won't change how long the battery lasts. A general idea is sufficient for appeasing my curiosity.

And I totally agree, @Salamander_King, about the variation in actual charge state when you get home. That can make a big difference. But if you have lots of data points over several years, you should be able to see how fast it's trending downward. It's just hard to get that many data points unless you outdrive the battery range very often.

17. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This is a good task for me since I deplete the battery every single day. I haven't been tracking the amount required to charge, but I can try collecting that info on a regular basis in the interests of science.

18. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    OK. I kept the MID at 1% until I pulled in the driveway. Then I ran it down with the A/C and rear defroster until it hit 0% and turned the car off to avoid using any of the battery reserved for HV driving. Kill-A-Watt reported 6.39 kWh charge this morning. The charger has a 1.2W parasitic draw, so plugging in when I get home until I leave in the morning leave about 4 hours where it's just sitting there drawing 1.2W, so it's only the difference between 6.385 and 6.390 kWh.

I don't think I need to do this every day, but maybe a couple of times a month to track capacity.

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can manage to get freshly reached 0% EV SOC at will, you are the prime candidate to monitor the change. As I said in my earlier comment, my full charge from the wall varies from 6.3kWh to 6.8kWh, depending on how far I depleted the HV portion of the battery before I pull into my driveway. My past two years record may just reflect this variation nothing else.

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's pretty easy in my situation. The hard part is remembering to get the Kill-A-Watt out and to read it in the morning. Past experience has taught me that leaving one on the outlet for an extended period of time will kill the unit, so I try to use it sparingly.

If 6.3 is with a full HV battery, you've only degraded 1.4%. That's not bad.