1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your Real World Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by tcidrp, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 0.4 factor is my typical experience as well, average error 8%, over 2 years of calcs. One reason I can think of for a single tank anomally is just that the pump shut off a little early, something like that. I mean, if there's one thing you can always count on, it's Toyota's displayed mpg or liters/100km being very optimistic. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'd heard the c and v were better in that regard, more accurate. Maybe not?

2. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thursday we drove 430 miles, from home to Pigeon Forge, all interstates with several mountains. Calculated mileage was just a shade over 50. Drove posted speeds with headwind for 150 miles. Temperature was 50 degrees with unblocked grille. Will head back home tomorrow. I am always happy being on the north side of 40 mpg. 50 plus is like eating good ice cream.
    Dan

DJDP23 and poser like this.
  3. poser

poser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    yup, 49mpg all highway here and bad roads, hilly, some wind and still below freezing. Pretty happy and can't wait for summer.

4. tcidrp

tcidrp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am now up to almost 9,860 miles ... gas mileage average is 45.5 mpg over all of those miles. The car has taken me from NYC to Baton Rouge and back a couple of times. always a great ride and I have had as high as 54.3 mpg to just over 40.5 ... temps have ranged from 17's and snow to 68's and sun ... sun and warm is where I got the best gas mileage. if I could drive at 55 mph all of the time the numbers would be better ... but even still I do better than most and love my PC4 ... a great buy ... so far I have saved over 200 gallons of gas if I compared it to my previous car ... so that is great ... Always good to save money ... and the gas prices aren't coming down ... Drive safe everyone!!!

5. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is quite possibly the longest sentence I have ever read :p. Thanks for the information though, and to all who have responded on this thread.

6. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Approaching 10,000 miles - getting the "maintenance" warning.

Average MPG via Fuelly is 50+. I still smile:) every time I see the MPG on my display - even if it is a trifle optimistic.
    Fuelly averages approximately 3 miles lower than the C's display. :D

7. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wifes 2001 Voyager with all in town driving/commuting...13 mpg, 2011 Prius...49....the mpg differences has the Prius saving enough fuel to make its own $280 a month lease payments when gas is $4 a gallon.

I took her car for a 170 mile trip with the cruise set at 55 and got an incredible high 60. The same trip at 50 mph netted an even high 62! Needless to say, she does not drive like me. I never did those trips by sticking it in N to coast either, so I am sure I can do better yet. I hypermile a 95 Neon and if I coast (about 10% on the highway) it jumps from 43 mpg to 46! The Neon has some simple mods to get better mpg and better 1/4 mile times. It started at 39 at 55...a slightly larger exhaust with cheap V8 chevy muffler and home made CAI got it to 40...43 removing the power steering and then 46 while coasting. Now, if I could engineer a 50 hp electric wheel motor at the back to move it at low speeds and away from lights I could get better, but the extra wt would slow the car down.

8. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too bad I was relying on my not so great memory on my real world mpg...my 60+ should have read 62.1 while my 62+ should have read 63.7!

9. RamesesThe2nd

RamesesThe2nd 2012 Prius III - Classic Silver Mettalic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So may be I am an exception. My computer tells me 46 to 47 MPG. The actual MPG is usually 2 to 3 miles lower, i.e., 43 to 44 MPG. My driving is 50% city and 50% highway. I got Prius last October, so I have yet to experience summer MPG. As a Chicago driver, I had to run heat pretty much all the time this winter.

Prius is definitely more than twice better than my V6 Highlander, but other smaller cars, e.g., Honda Civic and Hyundai Elantra, are getting pretty close to Prius MPG and they don't have hybrid premium attached to them.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is not correct. Those non-hybrids can't even match the Prius in highway mpg let alone combined (city and highway) mpg. Their city mpg is still in the high 20s so their average ends up being in the high 20s to mid 30s at best for most drivers. If you live on a freeway and do a LNG commute then they can be very efficient. Then again, the Prius in summer weather can be downright outstanding on the freeway at 55+mpg. :)

Check Fuelly.com for comparisons or visit the respective forums. Especially the Cruze forums. lol

11. tcidrp

tcidrp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I now have 13,498 miles on my Prius C4 ... Average (real) mileage is 44.9 ... With warmer weather and some careful driving I can get over 50 easily ... I did almost 7,000 miles on Michelin winter tires, which will take its toll on mileage. I am now back to the summer tires and with the temperatures starting to rise I expect even better gas mileage.

To claim that other Toyotas or Hondas are getting near this mileage is not correct. I know this because I drove Honda Civics including two hybrids for many years and high 30's was the best I could consistently get on average. My average for the Honda's is based on a little over 260,000 miles. The Prius C4 is a great little car and fun to drive.

Regardless of what your getting is a way better than the guy in front or behind you unless it is another Prius ...

12. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Rameses, slow down and you'll start to see much more of the real world difference. It sounds like you're doing 80+ mph all the time to be getting 43 or 44 mpg, or at least 75+ mph in really cold weather. At the speed you're going, a Civic or Elantra wouldn't get anywhere near their EPA estimates, either, which you're probably using for comparison. They'd be lucky to get 30 or 32 mpg.

13. RamesesThe2nd

RamesesThe2nd 2012 Prius III - Classic Silver Mettalic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In all honesty, Prius has really changed my driving style. I usually stay between 55 and 70 on highways; usually, on the lower side. In city, there is no way I can do 40+ mph. I am hoping to get better mpg this summer. I honestly don't understand how people get 50+ mpg consistently on Prius.

14. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of different factors involved, including speeds, tire inflation, wind, driving style. Your freeway travel is going to decrease your average since the C was designed more for City driving.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a non-hybrid owner, who's combined MPG average is about 26-28 MPG, I can and have always said, Prius drivers have it great.

I think you do become spoiled. On my best day, full highway, I'm NOT going to get what Prius drivers would be upset about on their worst day.

And that's the reality of full ICE vs. Hybrid Synergy Drive.

Keep in mind and perspective that I'm driving a Honda Fit, which IS considered an economical and fuel efficient vehicle.

jonb505 likes this.
  16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius C has it easier than the Prius in the city and slower highway. But at a true 55 mph you should easily see over 50 mpgs, unless your temperatures are consistently below 55 degrees or you drive uphill both ways in the snow barefoot. I have noticed that when the temp is above 50 my mpgs start shooting up quickly.

frugaldriver likes this.
  17. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you man. I used to own a first gen honda fit. Bought it new in 08, 5spd sport model. Sold it 4.5 years later with 200,00okm on the clock. The last couple of years I kept better track of fuel economy with the car I could manage 38mpg on road trips in the summer. My average day to day half and half hwy/city was closer to your 26-28. I did tend to drive that car with my foot on the floor all the time though as it seemed to like it that way, always begging to go faster in the corners. :)

Since purchasing my prius v i've completely changed my driving character and feel much more relaxed and happy to drive along in the slow lane. And on a bad day in the nastiest of city traffic i'm still beating my fit's best mpg, lovin it! :D

18. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Had a lovely in-city drive today - running errands - 36 miles - light traffic, lots of P&G, averaged 61.9. And it was cold to boot! And frankly I am worried because I added some aftermarket wheels that might be messing up my mileage!

19. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since 75% of my driving is done on the highway, my city driving doesn't affect my mileage. I noticed that in medium temps, around 65-75 degrees, I will get around 53 mpg if I stick to 60 mph. Dropping to a max of 55 mph nets me around 58 mpg.

There are certain areas on the highway where I see my 5 min consumption showing 70 to 80 mpg doing 55 to 60, much better than any city mileage I've ever gotten.

PriusCinBlack likes this.
  20. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The numbers you are quoting ring very true to my experience.