1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your Real World Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by tcidrp, Dec 22, 2012.

1. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    my average for the life of the car is just over 60 mpg. I drive in town for 90%. I seem to get 15% better mpg with 92 octane e10 vs 87 octane e10. so I think many could improve their mpg a little with that. I do drive to get the best mpg. but my trips are often less than 3 miles and that hurts the mpg.

2. Ed Heath

Ed Heath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure what my overall is for the two years, four months I have had the car (because I lost some of my gas receipts and got sloppy about keeping online records. I was really unhappy at how far the mileage fell in the winter (a couple of tanks in the high thirties). Still, in the summer I get tanks averaging 50 to 53 mpg.

My work commute is less than two miles, so if I drive I only get 40-45 in the summer, 30 to 35 in the winter. So I often commute by bike.

I use cruise control a fair bit, some in town and always n the highway. I suppose it might hurt fuel economy when the terrain is hilly, but since I set it to 55 mph (which is the highway speed limit near Pittsburgh), I would feel bad slowing down going up hill. What I find is that since the EPA highway tests are done at (I believe) 70, I can often beat the EPA estimate on the highway.

3. Aaron Stevens

Aaron Stevens New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gang on Our Usual Flow.jpg I usually get 8-10, depending on how I drive. My friends usually do better than I do.

#103 Aaron Stevens, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    ztanos likes this.
  4. HiC

HiC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    54.5 mpg 80% highway driving (60 mph).

Brad K likes this.
  5. 08PriusXSJ

08PriusXSJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This is a used 2012 Prius C2 I just bought with only 20,000 mile on it.
    Today I had the first 140 mile's trip (40% HW and 60% of local). The recorded mpg on the board is 65.7 with average trip speed of 41 mph. first MPG  record of My 12 Prius C2.jpg

ztanos likes this.
  6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Holy Thread revival Batman. :D Congrats on such great miles!

Trad77 likes this.
  7. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    depends on temperature but generally for the year about 52, lower in heat of summer and cold (Texas) of winter mpg, I have a 4 or 7 mile commute (depends on which direction I go)

8. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Real World Fuel Economy in my prior daily driver (beater 1998 4WD Mazda MPV) was 20.3 mpg over 8 (non-winter) months of tallying with an UltraGauge. When that car was ready to go to old car heaven, I wanted at least 1 car in our family that was capable of getting great FE. So the UltraGauge moved into a new 2013 "C".
    I did not expect the li'l Prius to change my driving patterns, but it did.
    (Unfortunately) Most family trips are still in our bigger cars, so 95% of my miles in the C are solo.
    Whenever possible, I use Google maps "avoid highways" setting to find alternate routes.
    So, maybe this doesn't count as RWFE, but over 50k all-season miles I'm averaging 65mpg. (Logged on Fuelly.)
    Reducing my fuel use to <1/3 of my prior ride was something I wouldn't have thought possible.

heiwa and ztanos like this.
  9. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Lately, driving like a maniac and 805 mph: 42mpg. Driving conservatively but still not being a nuisance to everyone else: 50mpg

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    805 mph!!! That is a maniac!!! :ROFLMAO:

11. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently so! I drive a lot from San Diego to LA, and when I was typing that I was thinking going 85mph while on the 805 freeway. Mental crossed wires, ha!

ztanos likes this.
  12. MsTee

MsTee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    My driving habits have changed completely. Now instead of noticing curves in the road, I'm noticing hills (dips and climbs). And instead of making sure I avoid speed cameras, I'm often trying to use the least petrol :)

Winter is worse than summer, and the open road is worse than the cities for petrol consumption. Most driving is on country roads, with little town or city driving.

Since buying the 2012 Prius C in March this year, the average fuel use is 4.4 l/100 km or 53.5 mpg (US), with the best at 3.8 l/100 km or 61.9 mpg according to Fuelly.com. We've just left winter, so I expect a full year's average will be slightly less.

#112 MsTee, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    skayaks and heiwa like this.
  13. Aqua2014owner

Aqua2014owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I often drive my 2014 Prius C, on short 2-3 mile drives through city
    traffic ( about 12-18 minutes average) in hot summer temperatures of 100+ F , giving me a
    33 to 35 MPG for the trip with air conditioning, what kind of mileage other Prius C owners
    get in similar conditions?

Roqu3 likes this.
  14. MoarMPGplz

MoarMPGplz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I used to drive a 2012 Prius-c and currently drive a 2016 model. Both appear to behave similarly to what you are experiencing in those driving conditions. What I see happening is that on really hot days over 100 deg F, and the car has been parked outside all day, the interior of the car can get really hot to the point that the car will not use the HV battery because it's too hot. You'll notice that the car will not go into EV mode at all for a while until the car has been driven for a while and the battery has had a chance to cool down enough. Using the A/C on full blast from the get-go usually causes the HV battery charge to drop all the way down to 2 bars in a short amount of time and stays there until the ICE is able to charge the battery back up again. On average, it takes a good 10-15 min before this happens. My MPG drops off a cliff because of this...normally I'm able to get around 60 MPG on my normal route to/from work (30-40 min each way), but for the first 10-15 min on my way back home on really hot days, my MPG is right around what you get, so I believe it's normal, especially in your case of very short trips which barely gives the ICE time to warm up enough and for the A/C to cool down the HV battery. What I usually do is drive for the first few min or so w/ all the windows down and turn on A/C w/ temp set to 85, which will vent out all the super hot air in the car as quickly as possible. Then I close all the windows and let the A/C continue cooling off the interior. Whenever possible, I try to park in the shade so the car's interior doesn't get as hot.

Roqu3 likes this.
  15. Aqua2014owner

Aqua2014owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing you'r experience, I must add that my car is always parked in a covered well ventilated parking area with temperatures nearly always between 91 to 97 F (33 to 36 C) in summer with outside temperatures between 94 to 104 F (34 to 40 C). My car always goes into EV after initial warm up of 2-3 minutes and the goes on cycles of EV & recharging, but at the end of my 3-4 mile (4-5 Km) drive that takes about 15 to 20 minutes my trip's average is about 33 to 35 MPG (14 to 15 Km / Liter ). I have written in both MPG ( US Gallon) & Km/L so that more people can understand.

#115 Aqua2014owner, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    ztanos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    This is happening to me right now, we are having very unusual high temperatures here in Lima (31 C / 87 F is a lot to us) also with outside parking space, dense traffic, 10 mile commute each way so my last reading was 37mpg coming from a 42mpg average, the symptoms are the same, the car wont go into EV mode for a while and the AC starts like very agressive when the car turns on, I will try starting with windows down and not blasting the AC from the start.

17. mikeey01nzl

mikeey01nzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    Base
    Tracked for a few years (56 fill ups)
    Average 4.4l/100k (53.6 MPG)
    best 3.8l/100k

Pri3C likes this.
  18. mikeey01nzl

mikeey01nzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    Base
    Sorry I hit post in haste, real world fuel consumption tracked over 35800km (22200miles)
    95% of it is mainly city driving at 50kph (30mph).

Prius C average 9.5c per Km
    Sons Honda Jazz 15.2c per Km

Reminds us at each fuel up we made the right move to buy a Prius C.