1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What job do you have

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Steve terry, Nov 20, 2013.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think your survey will be a self-fulfilling delusion that gets an 'A' at some community college.

To answer your question though, a sampling of jobs through the years:
    Ice cream parlor busboy while in High School;
    Crop picker;
    Paratrooper medic (Israeli Army);
    Critical care nurse while in Medical School;
    Guard while in Medical School;
    University Prof -- Clinical Pathology;
    Presently hospital based physician practicing general and critical care Internal Medicine

2. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, lot of ex-military here. Hope you all don't mind listening to mine.

I served in the US Army from 1998 till 2002, then the WI National Guard from 2002 to 2005. Two notable incidents occurred during my time in.

The first was when I was stationed in South Korea from Jan 1999 till Jan 2000. After an incident in June 1999 where North and South Korean naval ships fired on each other due to the North sending fishing boats into South Korean waters (result, 1 N. Korean ship sunk, at least 30 sailors dead. On the S. Korean side, 7 sailors wounded, some ships lightly damaged), we went into high alert because we thought it was going to hit the fan. Probably my most stressful week ever since we were issued live ammo and doing guard duty at night while on base. It also got me interested in the Korean War, since my high school glossed over it. And it's really kind of sad how vastly different they are; just look at Pyongyang, and then look at Seoul, and see the stark differences between the two cities.

I was also deployed to Kosovo with the 101st Airborne Division when 9/11 happened, and strangely I felt safer there than I felt my family and friends were back in the States at that time.

Interestingly enough, the Kosovar Albanians, the people NATO helped out there, held pro-US rallies for the rest of the week. Why is this important? Remember how Bin Laden claimed 9/11 was due to oppressed Muslims everywhere? Well, these people were largely Muslims, and yet here they were supporting us, which kind of got me wondering "why is this guy saying he's doing this for a certain group of people, yet these people he claims to be helping are showing us support?"

As for what I'm doing currently, I work in an assembly line making printed circuit boards. I bought my prius c largely because I want to save on gas. And also I'm going to attempt to do more filmmaking in the next year or two, and having a hatchback to hold all that gear should help. And hopefully I can put my history degree to use in telling stories via film someday (long term goal though, since I know it's incredibly tough to make it in Hollywood, and want some experience before I attempt to jump there).

Sorry for the essay, figured I should add some interesting stuff to this topic rather than just "former soldier, working in manufacturing". But if you made it this far, thanks for reading!

ftl likes this.
  3. st4nton

st4nton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Business Development, Marketing and Operations for a DC area Real Estate team.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Office Manager with a lot of time on my hands.

markabele likes this.
  5. Gee3

Gee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gov't pencil pusher! I work with low income housing owners and agents and the tenants. Can be very interesting and frustrating! Not a fan of the furloughs though!

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

6. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only issue is getting use to all the paid holidays off...

I bet you hate that part. Hope you can suck it up and have fun. The way my schedule works is if the weather is going to be real nice, like this weekend 75 Degrees then I work. If the weather is really bad and the experts advise to stay home then I have to drive to work (36 miles). Other then that I like it.