1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What keeps killing my battery ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 1prius, May 10, 2019.

1. PensacolaPrius

PensacolaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So this is an older post but I had similar problem with wife's 2011 Prius, replaced her original battery about 3 yrs ago with an optima battery, that one only lasted about two yrs, then replaced with Toyota OEM battery and started having issues just about a month later and had to jump start her Prius on several different occasions. Finally decided chances of a new factory battery being bad was unlikely, read these posts here and watching the video's on chasing down gremlins it dawned upon me the wife had put a Verizon HUM in the Prius about 4 years ago. (Hum is a cellular device that hooks up to the OBD and is kinda a OnStar substitute ) Anyway she retired last Dec and some times a few days go by with out her using the car. I think the HUM is creating a draw on the Prius that will drain down the 12v in a couple of days so I've pulled it from the OBD, will give it a few days and see.......I will have to go back and update my Optima review is this is the case!!

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not surprising. Federal law says that OBD port must have a wire hot to the battery- the car can’t cut the power. So it’s up to the device to be smart enough to turn itself off when you aren’t driving the car. Not all of them are smart enough to figure out when a Prius is in use.

Ed Beaty and CR94 like this.
  3. 1prius

1prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm the kind of guy that keeps "smart things" to an absolute minimum. Everything is completely stock and I don't even leave the car cell charger plugged in. This current battery is working fine for now. But that's the weirdness about the problem, everything work fine until one day it's dead. Next time it happens I'll go straight to doing diagnostics and hopefully track down the issue. But until then there is nothing to track.

Hope your HUM was the issue for you.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's my guy! Eric!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Huston

Huston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Holy cow I think you just solved my problem. I leave my key fob in mine all the time and come out to a dead battery. I never thought of this.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And you never considered that you might come out to a MISSING CAR some day either ??? :eek:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Huston

Huston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With all the crap going wrong with this car over the past couple years, I wish somebody would steal it.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're last two statements could come back to haunt you, if it ever does happen and it goes to court. :whistle: