1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of cream, towel, products, etc. should I use on softex seats to detail the "leather"?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 'LectroFuel, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I need help deciding what products I should use on my 2016 Prius Four with the Moonstone Softex interior. I'm planning on detailing the softex seats to make them look like new and when the new car smell goes away.

Also, does anyone know how to keep that exact new car smell in the 2016 prius?

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Micro Fiber Towel ( sacrificial, once the cream/oil gets on it, it will not wash off and that is all it will be used for )
    Home Page

[​IMG]

I use this on my 85 911, it also makes the leather water resistant. goes on wet and dries to mat sheen. I use the cream and put on with my hands, massage then wipe off residue a day later with the micro fiber. I also have the oil but it is too messy hard to control but it will bring back harden old leather.

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How to keep that "new car smell"?

Easy. Don't eat pepperoni pizza in your new Prius, like I did! :eek: (And my "All Weather" rubber mats seem to interfere with that nice new smell, too.)

The SofTex is not "real" leather. I believe the owner's manual says to just wipe them down with a damp cloth to clean? My Three has cloth. The seats feel rather flat, and not very supportive. How does the SofTex feel after a long drive? I thought maybe I would regret getting cloth seats... but just this morning, I looked at a 2013 Prius with SofTex, and the lower portion of the driver's seat was already developing small splits, cracks, and permanent creases. Anybody else have that experience with SofTex?

(Before I bought my Prius, I was looking at the Corolla S Plus and S Premium. Those Corolla seats felt much better to me, than my Prius does. I just wish that Corolla got 60 mpg.)

#3 Coast Cruiser, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the feel of the SofTex seats. They're just a little flat and your butt hurts after a long drive. I like the power lumbar support though.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would avoid putting leather cleaner or conditioner on the Softex. Someone in Toyota service or their parts professionals could recommend how to clean and care for them. They've been around for several years, so someone's figured it out.

Maybe they would respond well to a faux leather type cleaner. Lexol makes one, Vinylex. Multi-surface type cleaner. Test in inconspicuous space first. Their leather cleaner and conditioner is really good for leather, but yeah, the boutique brands I suppose are even better.

6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I found leather wipes work well at removing dirt and they're not to harsh. If you start putting creams or balms on softex it'll end up shiny and sticky to boot.

7. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I used Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Work well. Removed marks. Didn't seem to have any negative effects. Would recommend.