1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of mpg have you been getting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicHybrid, Dec 29, 2006.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    59.4mpg on the current tank and it's about 1/2 way used up. 57.1mpg last week's tank. 61.4mpg all time best, w/ over 600 on that best tank.

What I'm REALLY proud of was my car pool associate: He drove from So. Cal to Nortern Cal a couple months ago in a rented Prius. I coached him in my car for several weeks on the way to work. His round trip up and back during his trip (with his wife and luggage)average was 49.9mpg !!! My first desiple ... I'm so proud (wiping tears away) :p

2. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

We bought an '07 Touring (Red with dark grey interior) in December '06. We've been averaging about 45mpg here in Seattle.

I think the main reasons that mpg isn't higher is three things.

1- It's winter so the heater keeps coming on (environment set to auto with AC off) so the gas engine keeps turning on.

2- Seattle is hilly with hardly any places that are level. We do commute about 25 miles from the suburbs into downtown Seattle.

3- Traffic in Seattle is top three for bad commute. Speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down. Repeat about 300 times in 25 miles.

3. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was getting 50 mpg highway in my Prius a month ago.

It has dropped closer to 45 mpg. I think it's a combination of much colder temperatures, and winter formulation gasoline. Diesel contains more energy than gasoline. I suspect the winter formulation of gasoline consists of lighter fractions for more volatility, which gives a lighter product containing less energy.

Harry

4. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have always been getting below 45mpg for a very simple reason. I live up the hill and when I driving down engine is running all the time since it must be heated up. Therefore I lose all the benefits of the 'engine off' driving. In the evening, when I am returning home, engine is warm, but I am driving uphill.

Also, with better tires I am getting less mileage since they obviously have higher traction.

5. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like I'm getting an average of 47mpg (I keep logs in Excel). Am I supposed to get more? I see people also posting from LA, CA getting around 50 or more. Sometimes I use my coastal EV switch, but I think it's a tradeoff in that you end up spending more gas to recharge the traction battery later. Am I supposed to get in upwards of 50mpg during the summer months?

Paul

6. zelium

zelium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jan 18 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]377256[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip. I was considering radiator blocking, however, I have been very lazy these days. :) I am afraid that summer comes first before I install a radiator block. :)

BTW, I do not have a garage. Once I get the job (and buy a house), I will try the block heater.