1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of person would buy a Prius, anyway?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by paulisme, Apr 12, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow! Another UU! And a Utah Phillips fan who hates TV. I wish I had met you before you met the father of that 8-year-old. (Assuming you're female, though I guess it's a moot point now.)

2. tappel

tappel New Member

Age...52
    Occupation...Project Manager, Economic Development
    Religion...raised Lutheran - like Ray now, spiritual without organization
    Hobbies...woodworking, shooting
    TV...West Wing, History Channel
    Music...Beatles, S&G, Neil Diamond (went to concert last year...lots of old people)
    Beer...cold, gold KB
    Tom

3. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Age...34
    Occupation...software quality assurance
    Religion...theologically neutral :)
    Hobbies...movies, Lakers, Mac, outdoorsy stuff
    TV...Futurama, any Star Trek, X-Files, Seinfeld, Frasier, TLC, Discovery, Food Network
    Movies....Sci-Fi, Pixar, Disney, Action/Adventure, Comedies (Hellboy was the latest I've seen)
    Music...softer stuff (Pop, R&B, Jazz, no Rap)
    Books...mainly Michael Crichton stuff
    Beer...not really a drinker, but prefer mixed drinks over beer

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Woah, woah. Don't want to go into a anti-religous Jihad here.

I'm agnostic, but I know a lot of people who are very informed and educated about theology and religion. Nothing wrong with that (on the contrary, to quote Animal House: "Knowledge is Good".)

As a separate issue, almost all of them are comfortable with my religious views not matching their own (and visa-versa.) And most of them practice their beliefs in ways that are admirable, and benefit those around them, and many others besides.

I think if I were religious, I'd resent being painted with the same brush as ignoramuses/charlatans like Jerry Fallwell and the like.

5. riskable

riskable Junior Member

Occupation: Unemployed (Normally a Unix/Linux Systems Administrator)

Religion: Atheist (Secular Humanist)

Hobbies: Computer stuff (especially Linux-related), gadgetry, anime, and movies

Favorite Bands/Artists: The Cranberries, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Robert Miles, Breeze & DNA, Anabolic Frolic, Tranceatlantic Airwaves, Dune, and many more

Favorite TV Shows: I don't watch TV (for real), but I watch TV shows on DVD... The Family Guy, 24, Frank Herbert's Dune & Children of Dune, Farscape, Stargate, The Office, and Dead Like Me (which I downloaded since I don't pay for Showtime)

Favorite Movies: LOTR Trilogy, About a Boy, Girl Next Door (was surprisingly good!), My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Bend it like Beckham, and hundreds more.

Favorite Beer: I don't consume alcohol

...and as a side note: I know plenty of people who are very uncomfortable with my religious beliefs, however, *I* am the one who is more likely to be uncomfortable with someone's religious beliefs (as they relate to politics).

Edit: Forgot to adjust my age.

6. Stan Wilson

Stan Wilson New Member

A senior Prius poster making fun of people who follow a religion by calling "religiously knowledgeable" an oxymoron...a bit over the top.
    It is beginning to appear that the site is being overtaken by atheistic, environmental zealots who hate George Bush. In order to own a Prius, do you have to move out of the mainstream of American life? Can you never have owned a gas guzzler, or God(?) forbid, own two cars or pay a price over MSRP?

As my daddy taught me, the liberal person is the most intolerant because they are sure their opinion is correct and that everyone should agree with that opinion...that is why they are so upset with the people who disagree with them...often the majority.

7. riskable

riskable Junior Member

Doesn't sound so bad to me!

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lighten up a little Stan, no one's bashing conservative Bush loving Christians here. The 'oxymoron' comment was clearly made in good humor, and besides that I think the most religiously knowledgeable people I know of would agree that there is more unknown than known about religion and God--making the oxymoron comment pretty accurate.

I don't think it was meant as a slight toward anyone. And, to answer your question, no, you don't have to be all those things to participate here and you're more than welcome to express your differing opinion--as I believe you have and, IIRC your comments were recieved politely, not defensively.

I find your father's (and apparently your) view of liberals confusing at best and dead wrong by my personal experience. But to each his own.

9. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Age ... 65

Occupation ... Retired

Religion ... Haven't decided

Hobbies ... The internet, attending classical concerts with friends, writing at every opportunity, and evolving my high resolution music system

TV ... PBS'ish kinds of stuff most of the year, football in the fall.

Movies ... Any film where I continue to think about content long after attending (What was the name of that recent film about the sailing ship and its commander? Don't remember for sure but that was a good movie).

Music ... Classical, contemporary, jazz (The Mahler SACD series with MTT and the San Francisco Symphony are currently my favorite recordings).

Books ... Everything from Steinbeck to Casteneda to Hillerman to Ludlum to Clancy to Rahula ... a very broad spread.

Politics ... Mid road Republican who believes this current administration's fiscally and socially far right policies are BAD for our country. This'll be a first - going to vote Democrat this time.

Beer ... Micro-brewery dark ales are the best thing to have happened for beer drinkers in this country - period. They're wonderful. Sure wish they had been around when beer and I traveled more frequently together.

Remembering favorite places ... Riding the streetcar to the beach in Santa Monica; traipsing across the fields and down the cliffs of Point Dume and Palos Verdes for skin diving excursions; watching movies being made around the Culver City Studios such as MGM, RKO, DesiLu and Hal Roach; and driving 101 the full 400 miles to San Francisco and not seeing a single Japanese car.

10. paulisme

paulisme New Member

I think that Prius owners probably tend to be free-thinkers and open to new ideas; something that's not very common among a group of people who base their lives on a 5,000 year-old book. Remember, Galileo was excommunicated for saying the Earth revolved around the sun. The Catholics didn't let him out of purgatory until 1996. Come to think of it, I bet Galileo would have driven a Prius... :)

11. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Age - 53

Occupation - Foundry melt shop supervisor

Religion - raised Catholic, prefer Buddhist concepts for daily living

Hobbies - Gardening, walking, computer stuff, car detailing

TV - Star Trek re-runs, Home improvement shows, try to keep the damn thing off as much as possible.

Music - Classical, 60's folk music, bluegrass, listen to NPR a lot

Politics - Independent but leans towards Green Party policies.

Sports - love Football, being in the best part of the country for that with the Bills, Browns, and Steelers all about 100 miles away (even though they all currently stink)

12. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Age 77

Religion: Atheist since age 19 after living in Italy for two years. Believe in religious freedom.
    Hobbies: Digital Photography, Computer, Reading, all kinds of Tech Toys
    Politics: Republican and will vote Democrat this time for the second time, (first time was Truman)
    Beer: Okanogan Pale Ale
    Live in Roy, Washington half year other half in Nanaimo, Canada

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World. And I agree -- a very enjoyable movie. Haven't read the books it was based on, though -- friends who have weren't happy with the adaptation.

That's why I was so impressed with Peter Jackson's adaptations of Tolkein's books -- very few adaptations satisfy both the fans, and those who are encountering the stories for the first time.

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think Galileo would have driven his Prius into the living room of his house, put the car up on blocks, and removed everything so that he could stare into the engine all day, and watch the planetary gears go round and round and round...

15. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

in all fairness to the senior prius posters, i believe i am still a 'rookie'... wouldn't want them to get painted with any of that brush. and yes, my remark was meant to be funny more than anything.

however what is not funny is the way current governments in conflict around the world insist on waving their religions at one another. if there is ever to be any kind of lasting peace, theological issues need to be put on the side. it's obvious just from this round of conversation here that even a bunch of us with relatively a lot in common get our danders up easily where religion is concerned. how then can we expect to have peaceful interaction with people whose whole religious outlook is fundamentally different, but are equally if not more thoroughly convinced they are right?

how about if we just keep our religions in our hearts and try to agree on ways to stop killing each other?

16. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Stop killing each other? What's the fun in that?

17. riskable

riskable Junior Member

I'm with you on this one. I'd have to say that the only time I get "up in arms" over religion is when it gets involved in politics. When GWB wants to give federal tax money to religious organizations, I say, "No way!" and feel so strongly about it I try to convince everyone I know to vote for Kerry.

So for me, putting religion into government is a Very Bad Thing™ and people get *seriously* angry at me for feeling this way. Angry enough that they want to kill me (or at least want me to die a horrible death).

I think other Priuschat people feel similarly.

I want peace as much as anyone, but until we have some sort of mass cultural change across the world where everyone agrees that religion is an individual's personal opinion and not some sort of governing ordinance, we'll always be killing eachother over it.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Age - 24

Occupation - Data Exchange Coordinator

Religion - Roman Catholicish

Hobbies - Working on PriusChat and other online ventures, watching sports (college mainly), computers

Favorite Bands/Artists - The CDs that always get played all the way through are Counting Crows, Coldplay, Norah Jones, Hootie & the Blowfish (that's right, I said Hootie dammit!), Cowboy Mouth, and lately I've thrown some Pete Yorn into the mix. But I'll basically listen to anything on XM.

Favorite TV Shows - 24 (S1 & S2 via DVD, but now watching S3 weekly), The Office (via DVD), Alias, The Apprentice (my one reality tv addiction), Scrubs (funniest show on network TV - period), and Deadwood.

Favorite Movies - Well, most recently I saw Girl Next Door, which was totally different than the previews showed it to be and went from a crap teen movie to a good flick with a good message in my mind, but my favorite movies would have to be Office Space, Lost in Translation, & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Favorite Beer - Whatever's cold, but prefer Newcastle or Killian's.

19. Batavier

Batavier Member

Religion: *shrug* I don't mind people having a religion, as long as they don't bother me with it. :wink:

Hobbies: buying gadgets, playing computer games (on: PS2, GameCube, Gameboy Advance SP, SNES and of course PC). Roleplaying is one of my favourite pasttimes, although lately work is getting in the way too much. Also very interested in history (mainly early middle ages in Europe).

Favorite Bands/Artists: Many bands and artists. Love Jazz, Gothic, Ambient, '80s. Bands/Artists I really like: Deine Lakeien, Das Ich, Skinny Puppy, Lustmord, Robbert Rich, ASF, Qntal and a lot of bands playing for the Cold Meat Industries label

Favorite TV Shows: Blackadder, Monty Python Flying circus, Frasier, M*A*S*H, any history series on the BBC and/or Discovery Channel. Don't watch that much TV

Favorite Movies: Bladerunner, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Ace Ventura movies (any), First Matrix movie (didn't watch the others yet), Shrek, Monsters Inc, Dirty Harry movies (any), LotR, Time Bandits, Excalibur, Robin Hood: Men in tights, Blues Brothers, Finding Nemo.

Favorite Beer: No alcohol for me. :)

20. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Paulisme wrote:

"That's why I was so impressed with Peter Jackson's adaptations of Tolkein's books -- very few adaptations satisfy both the fans, and those who are encountering the stories for the first time."

It's been years since I read Tolkein's Hobbit trilogy but Jackson's adaptations seemed to match pretty well with what I remembered ... except ... I'm pretty sure those self-pity kinds of crybaby tears weren't shed in the book by either of our Hobbit Heros.