1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of person would buy a Prius, anyway?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by paulisme, Apr 12, 2004.

1. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Religion: Brought up as a Baptist but gave up on them in my teens. Now am experimenting with the Lutheran church... occasionally.

Socio-political leanings: somewhat left of center for most circumstances

Hobbies: trying to be a great dad to our spirited two year old, volleyball, electronic gadgetry, computering.

Favorite Bands/Artists: Beatles, Moody Blues, King Crimson, ELP, Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach. I used to work for XM and am totally sold on the XM concept and product. Deep Tracks, Top Tracks, Fine Tuning, Frank's Place, XM Pops, Sixties on Six fill out the top six pre-sets of my XM radio that I bought from Jon and installed a week and a half ago! Looks and sounds great!!!!

Favorite TV Shows: Trading Spaces, Clean Sweep, While You Were Out, (yes, I'm a fan of TLC)...and oh yes, the Weather Channel!

Favorite Movies: We've only seen a handful of movies since our spirited one arrived

Favorite Beer: Rolling Rock, Killian's Red, Foster's (not necessarily in an order of preference)

Favorite Car Owned: 1969 Corvair Monza Convertible. One of 521 made in the last year of the 'Vair.

--Randy

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

Occupation: unemployed... would like to get back into computer support...or something.

Current Project: Co authoring an A+ study guide (since i have so much free time)

Hobbies: Computer video games, riding bikes, sweating at the gym, posting to online forums, Bashing Microsoft.

Fav TV: Is there time for such a thing?
    Well only because of my TiVo; Modern Marvels, MythBusters, Inside the Actor's Studio, The ScreenSavers, The Simpsons. Most newsmagazine shows.

Fave Movie: Easy one...Lord of the Rings(oh course!) The Shawshank Redemption, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves, Band of Brothers, Taken, ET, Schlinder's List(ok so im a spielburg nut!) Forrest Gump

Fave Music: Shania Twain, John Denver (he was the reason i started listening to music. he would have LOVED the Prius!!) Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen, 38 Special, Alan Jackson, Bad Company and last but most definitely not least STYX!!

Fave Beer: Root (the thought of anything that might remotely harm my Prius is absolutely abhorrant to me!!)

Car: Prius 2004 Tideland Pearl

3. assagor

assagor New Member

Current Project: Finding ways to mod my '04 Black Prius

Hobbies: Computers, Outdoor Sports

Fav TV: Sealab 2021, Smallville, Food Network

Fav Movie: Van Wilder

Fav Music: 80's mostly, but will listen to anything but hardcore heavy metal ( no screaming please! just sing)

NOTE: It is nice to see such an age range in Prius owners, when I went in to get mine the dealer said how nice it was to see "young folks" concened with the environment. :D

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Occupation: Network monitor for Verizon Telecommunications (not wireless)

Religion: none

Socio-political leanings: Libertarian

Hobbies: Snowmobiling, motorcycles, hiking, camping, spoiling my pets rotten

Favorite Bands/Artists: This one's hard to answer. I listent to nearly every genere of music available. IF I have to put a fav in there, it would be ZerO One. (www.waveform.com click on the catalog link).

Favorite TV Shows: Enterprise, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Southpark, Tripping the Rift, then I'll totally switch gears and watch Discovery, TLC, and History Channel.

Favorite Movies: The Matirx Trilogy, The Star Wars series, Quigley Down Under, Terminator series, Unforgiven, Open Range, Dream Catcher.

Favorite Beer: Corona (when I do get the urge to have a beer)

Favorite Car Owned: 1959 Mercedes 190Db

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Religion: Unitarian

Socio-Political: Least-cost, end-use (vs. least-cost, first use). Think and act long-term, not short-term - socially, politically, economically, biologically.

Hobbies: Organic french-intensive gardening, triathlons, hiking, climbing, bicycling, swimming, extended time above 3000 meter elevation (winter and summer); energy efficiency; telemark skiing.

Bands, Artists: Moody Blues, Van Morrison, Fusion Jazz, Celtic Rock, Doors, Blue Grass (Alison Krauss), Space Music

Television: Star Trek (Voyageur, Enterprise), PBS, Frontline; DVDs, NOVA.

Movies: Derzu Uzala, Das Boot, Blade Runner, Lord of the Rings, Eiger Sanction . . .

Beer: dark

Favorite Vehicles: Trek 5200 bicycle; Toyota 4Runner

6. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

Occupation: Laid-off Aeronautics Maintenance...working a job I hate now

Religion: Spiritual

Hobbies: Motorcycles, Tattoos

Favorite Bands/Artists: 80's, Rap, Techno, Barry White...DA MAN!!!

Favorite TV Shows: CSI, Cold Case, All TLC home improvement shows

Favorite Movies: Somewhere in Time, Terminator, Die Hard, Star Wars series.

Favorite Beer: Guinness

I noticed most of everyone is smart, so I'm out of da loop with the most of you. I was surprised I bought this car too. I like fast cars and I've had trucks most of my driving life. I'm still keeping my 65 Mustang and my motorcycle though.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

You sound like you've had more, and more varied, driving and car-owning experience than a lot of us (myself definitely included).

I'm curious: what have you liked the most -- and the least -- about your Prius, compared to your other cars? And what about it has been the biggest surprise to you?

8. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

What I like about this car is that it's quiet, safe and all the ammenities that I like. I had a Jeep (Heep) Wrangler and it was just horrible! Loud, cold, wet ride. Never again. For trails it's ok, for all around driving...no. And it's a Toyota. I've had 2 Toyota trucks in the past and they're just outstanding cars. Toyota reliability, that's what it's all about. Gas mileage is mind blowing already even though I have 89miles on the thing.

Biggest surprise? It's much roomier than I thought it would be. I love it, but I love my Mustang more. The Prius doesn't turn the girlies heads like the old Stang does! LOL :D

9. eg239

eg239 New Member

I guess I might as well introduce myself...

Religion: Undetermined

Socio-Political: Liberal.

Hobbies: Underwater basket weaving, cooking, photography, and of course driving.

Bands, Artists: Radiohead, Matthew Good Band, The Pixies, The Strokes, Phish. I also like a little jazz now and then-- Mingus and Davis especially

Television: Family Guy, The Simpsons, Mission Hill (I never grew out of cartoons)

Movies: Trainspotting, Donnie Darko, Waking Life, The Graduate

Beer: Not a big beer drinker, but my favorite is Guinness (Draught, not stout)

Favorite Vehicles: I'm a little partial to the classic Saab 900 (I owned four of them). Also kind of fascinated with the Triumph TR3 (my father had one as a teenager, and my grandfather currently owns one as a hobby car. 40 hours of work for 20 hours of driving... must be nice to be retired ;) )

10. Gen2

Gen2 Member

Religion: Spiritual not religious

Political: Libertarian, Green, Leftish

Hobbies: Computer stuff (mostly Mac/UNIX), anything high tech, exotic automotive (yes, the Prius Counts : ) TaiChi, cooking, digital photography, walking

Favorite Bands/Artists: Enya, Norah Jones, Kate Bush, Manhattan Transfer, Dido, Bare Naked Ladies, Rachel Sweet, Sarah MacLaughlin, Moody Blues, Space Music

Favorite TV Shows: CSI, Enterprise and most others in SciFi genre, Scrubs, Discovery, TLC

Favorite Movies: Science Fiction, 2010, The Golden Child, Dogma, The Matrix, Shrek, Monsters Inc.

Favorite Beer: Non-Drinker

11. Che

Che New Member

04 tideland pearl #9
    married no kids 2 dogs
    Politics: Liberal
    Hobbies: struggling for my degree (BS mechanical engineering technologies), the slow but sure restoration of a 1955 BelAir (unfortunately not a hybrid!) and cycling! My 03 Specialized Allez gets better fuel economy and lower emissions on my daly trip to work than the Prius!
    Favorite movie: The Chinese Connection, To Kill a Mockingbird, all the Tarantino movies
    TV Shows: Ground Force, Gilmore Girls
    Favorite Bands: Superchunk, John Coltrane, Beastie Boys, Hilary Hahn, Sonic Youth, pretty much music from all genres!
    Favorite Beer: Sam Smith Organic Ale
    Favorite food: Thai green curry with tofu (vegetarian)

How many of us are Mac users?

12. Ralphmc

Ralphmc Mr Hybrid

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    04 Drift Wood #9

Occupation: Computer Programmer/Help Desk f. a Major Mail Order Wrapping Goods Company

Religion: Church of Christ

Hobbies: European Model train, Traveling, Computer stuff, Electronics, Modeling (train layout: www.ralphshotrains.com )
    Ralph's HO Trains, Music, Handcrafting.

Favorite Bands/Artists: The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Super Tramp

Favorite TV Shows: who wants to be a milionar :p , Natur Chanel

Favorite Movies: no too many...

Favorite Beer: Becks Dark (very rarely) I don't do alcohol...

Favorite Food: Schnitzel (Veal)

13. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

14. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Religion: Atheist

Socio-political leanings: Left of center in most cases. Strongly environmental.

Hobbies: Bicycling, hiking, travel, internet scrabble, internet chess, making beer, cooking, eating :)

Favorite Bands/Artists: Kris Delmhorst, Cat Stevens, Moody Blues, Gentle Giant

Favorite TV Shows: Simpsons, original Twilight Zone, Monty Python Flying Circus

Favorite Movies: Cinema Paradiso, Il Postino, the Lord of the Rings series.

Favorite Beer: My homebrew, Affligem (Belgian), Sierra Nevada PA

Favorite Car Owned: 1992 Honda Civic VX (true 48 mpg). We'll see if the Prius can match it!

15. azreal

azreal New Member

Hobbies: Scuba, Golf

Music: James/Tim Booth; The Smiths/Morrissey (why do all the best bands break up? :( ); Willie Nelson; Johnny Cash; NIN

Favorite TV Shows: Six Feet Under; Curb Your Enthusiasm; Survivor

Favorite Movies: Snatch; The Big Lebowski; Raising Arizona; The Little Mermaid; Matrix3

Favorite Beer: Fat Tire

16. ironrosewhippets

ironrosewhippets New Member

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Occupation: on weekdays: multi-purpose employee at an H.O.-scale slot car mail order company; on weekends: employee at RC car/plane/boat hobby shop. Yay for cars (and planes)!

Hobbies: electronic gadgetry, computes, racing H.O. slot cars and RC cars, going to dog shows, handling at dog shows, drawing, computer graphics, X10'ing my home, modding my computer, flying, drooling over cars.

Favorite Bands/Artists: Beatles, Moody Blues, CCR & Jon Fogerty, Eiffel 65, Tom Petty, movie & anime soundtracks, Loreena McKinnet (sp?), Enya, Clannad, Altan, Weird Al Yankovich. Basically like techno, Celtic, classic & modern rock.

Favorite TV Shows: Star Trek (all of em), Babylon 5, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, X-Files, Stargate SG1 (and likely Atlantis when it airs), Crossing Jordan, CSI (all incarnations of it), the various car-related shows on Speedvision, various anime shows... I'm a big-time sci-fi & fantasy nut.

Favorite Movies: Alien quadrilogy, Star Wars (all), Dragonheart, Dragonslayer, Reign of Fire, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Pitch Black, Fast & The Furious (haven't seen the sequel yet), Gladiator, XXX (vin diesel rules), all James Bond movies, Indiana Jones movies, Braveheart... and lots more.

Favorite Beer: don't drink.

Favorite Car Owned: well, since I've only ever owned an '85 Plymouth Reliant and an '86 Chevy Blazer, I'd have to say I like the Blazer more. But I do like the Reliant's better MPG and air conditioner.

Although not yet a Prius owner, I will be changing this fact soon.... :mrgreen:

18. Jerry Ku

Jerry Ku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sorry to resurrect an old post but I stumbled on this after seeing a survey that said truck drivers love action movies, and people who have no car love horror movies... so I wanted to know if Prius owners were into science fiction like me.. seems kinda true judging by the posts here

Religon: agnostic
    Hobbies: video games, travel
    Fav TV: Star Trek, Game of Thrones

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Religion: Agnostic (i run the sound system at a Methodist church)

Hobbies:Reading, Computer stuff

FavoriteAuthors: J. R. R. Tolkien, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, David Brin, Patricia McKillip, C.J.Cherryh, Lois Bujold

Driving: 30,000 miles a year, largely two lane roads

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow,great thread, before my time! i not many posters around anymore, i wonder how many are still driving pri? 60, Catholic, retired, guitar, gardening and home repair, beatles and other 60's/70's music, sci-fi and fantasy, hate television, a good porter, lager or stout.

#80 bisco, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015