1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind/where do you purchase your spark plugs?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by NinnJinn, Jan 17, 2013.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wanting to replace my spark plugs, I do not know when they were changed but I personally have put over 20,000 miles on the car.

While possibly not related, I have noticed in the last 3-4months while at a stop light that is about 6-800ft from my part time job, (deliver pizzas 10hrs/ week) it has a dieseling? effect. It acts as if it wants to shut off but can't make up its mind whether it wants to or not. it shutters per say. But that is the only time/place I notice it. anywhere else, and if stopped and the engine shuts off, it shutters/jerks 2-3times then shuts off. Where as at the first light explained earlier, it will shutter/jerk probably within 5 seconds of stopping and keep doing it until engine shuts off, or I push on the gas. I haven't noticed any loss in "get up and go" and as soon as I hit the gas, it goes with no problem.

But anyways, I would like to change the plugs, but would like to know what kind to get and where to get them. Or do you folks go to the Stealership to get them?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should buy the correct iridium spark plugs as listed in the owner's manual, either NGK or Denso. The Classic spark plug change interval is 60K miles. The Denso model is SK16R11 while NGK is IFR5A11. Do not buy just any iridium plug, as the original equipment plug has iridium on the tip and platinum on the ground electrode for a long service life.

Regarding where to buy, I suggest you do a web search and find the lowest price for the plugs. Of course you can buy from your local Toyota dealer service dept but you may find the price is relatively high.

The engine vibration may not be related to the spark plugs. When I owned my 2001, I also noticed a similar issue, which I attributed to the hybrid vehicle ECU being confused and not properly controlling MG1 to allow the gasoline engine to idle. It might help if you disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes, to allow the ECUs to power down and reset.

3. theSaj

theSaj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got mine at a typical chain (Auto Parts/Zone/whatever). They were dirt cheap. And greatly improved performance (ie: that car started again).