1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What maintenance do I need beyond 120,000?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BetsyNC, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BetsyNC

BetsyNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2006 Prius, and have alternated between taking it to the dealership for regular maintenance, or to a local shop that works on Prius. I'm not happy with either because they see me coming a mile away, and I always get that phone call that says you need .... and it will cost you $$$. My scheduled maintenance light came on a few weeks ago (I'm currently at 127,000 miles), and I also received a Safety Recall Notice about the same time. Since it has to go to the dealership for the recall issue, I thought I would go ahead and have them to the regular maintenance. BUT I can't find anything that tells me what to have done beyond 120,000 miles. Is there a list somewhere of suggested maintenance for a Prius over 120,000 miles?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You can just extend the scheduled services using the intervals suggested for the previous 120k miles. One exception is that the cooling systems need to be drained and refilled every 50k miles after the first time at 100k miles. The other item which is not in the "official" schedule is a periodic drain and refill of the transmission fluid (I suggest every 60k miles and if you are conservative a first one at 30k miles). I also change out the PCV valve when I do the spark plugs (every 100k) and consider replacing the engine water pump and serpentine belt at 150k miles when you do the coolant.

JeffD

getwellsam likes this.
  3. BetsyNC

BetsyNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Jeff - Thanks for your quick reply. As I was continuing my search online, I came across a document someone on this forum posted giving an extended maintenance schedule for 2004-2009 models going up to 300K. I love my Prius and want to keep it running well, but I'm tired of going in every time for regular maintenance and having them tell me I need this or that, and my bill is hundreds of dollars. I want to be better informed when I go in. Although if they say something needs to be replaced, I have no way of knowing if I'm being taken to the cleaners or not. My husband gets the same run-around with his 2003 Toyota Avalon.

Thanks... Betsy

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the document you are referring to is What services you need and what you don't | PriusChat then you are at the right place.

Sad but true that most dealerships pad their profits with "extras" that are not needed. Like you are doing now, one must be educated to what you really need if you are not mechanically inclined. Galaxy has done this for us with his document above.

My kids are always calling me with the same questions that you have, what do I really need and what not?

5. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I couldn't help but comment since their is so very little mention of the timing chain on a Prius.
    My Gen I prius didn't get one until 250K and my current Gen II 2006 Prius received one at 298K - keep in mind most of the time it is not the timing chain itself that fails on a Prius but the timing chain guides.
    So, Betsy happy rolling! It sounds like you just got yours broken in.

~currently looking down the nose of 400K (@398K on the odometer) with the cruise control set on 75 mph headed into the 15-20 (mph) Kansas wind with gusts 30-40 and showing 44 MPG.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know if it's in the manual, but if you are going to keep a car a long time hinges, latches and other metallic moving body parts should occasionally be lubricated.

7. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "I came across a document someone on this forum posted giving an extended maintenance schedule for 2004-2009 models going up to 300K"

I'd love to see this document. :)