1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Mod to make my Prius increase the mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 10priusII, Jul 30, 2010.

1. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    or better yet try spelling <factitious>

2. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    but in greece it seems putting sails on things gets them moving for free:D

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inspired by the Nitrogen in Tires thread I offer a few more mods to boost MPG: -drive naked in summer and wear fur coat in winter to save on cooling/heating energy -wear diapers on long hwy drives to save you from stopping at rest stops

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the serious side, a hole drilled 18mm from the front left drivers 16mm bolt will allow a clear path to the ground ( no exhaust pipe ). There are a few couplers generally available at Home Depot.

Use the quick connect - with a hose, and you can evacuate your car - without anyone knowing. My wife has a harder time with it, but has since figured it out...

We placed it low - so you wouldn't even know it was there...

I'm guessing (just a guess) .5MPG better (no stops), and a great improvement on those long Las Vegas drives (time wise).

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In a previous thread, we did show that 'shark fin" antenna gave the Prius better mileage (but on the downside, you get slightly worse reception).

6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is an easy mod to get you over 80 mpg. This chip will prevent your Prius from exceeding 43 mph. You'll get fantastic gas mileage if you can stay between 20 - 40 mph.

7. dbdan

dbdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just hit 10,000 miles and I bought the car on August 21st (two months & three weeks ago)...

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Shh, I am not supposed to admit Prius drivers drive more than average. (I had my 50,000 mile service today, just over of 19 months)

[sticks fingers in ear] 13,000 miles a year! [/sticks fingers in ear]

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As previously mentioned in post #63 above, running 100% nitrogen in your tires (don't forget the spare donut tire) will get you up to at least 75mpg, or thereabouts. Easy-peasy.

Now, for that last 5mpg, may I suggest an aftermarket GeoMagnetic Drive Conversion. In a nutshell, in a GMDC, the metal frame of the vehicle is internally magnetized with either a S or N polarity. When driving in a northerly direction, the driver (or GPS system) switches the shell polarity to be attracted to the Earth's magnetic poles. For instance, a south-polarized shell is naturally attracted to the Earth's magnetic north pole (and visa-versa south of the equator), taking partial load off the ICE and electric traction drive. Now don't worry about the Prius' electric motor; it is well shielded against any harm from the high-voltage GMD unit pods.

Historically speaking, the physics of GMD's are very well understood, is a mature technology, and can be applied to almost any vehicle - be it car, bike, truck, train, plane or ocean going vessel. Developed in the post cold war years for DARPA, it was originally intended for use in Navy high altitude unmanned airships for covert surveilance as a very low maintenance and almost unlimited power source (airships only needed to flip the magnet's direction).

As luck would have it, a Prius even makes the conversion simpler by using its own traction battery as the power source for the GMD. And it gets better. Using a somewhat low drain off the batteries, a S-S or a N-N setting will even slightly warm the car's interior in the winter months, using the keyfob's "warm" setting button (extra $$ option).

10. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is this for real?

Has anyone heard of, or had experience with this? My guess is, if was was a problem, Toyota would have already incorporated something like it.

http://www.juicedhybrid.com/Hyper-Force-Prius-Fuel-Efficiency-p/exp11002.htm

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone tried this??? I wonder how the magnetic field changes help as you move towards one pole - better mileage in Canada???

Very cool mod idea - but can't be cheap....

12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No. Not cheap at all. I should have it up and running in my Prius on or about the 1st of April this next year.

Khezekiah likes this.
  13. 2012PriusBoy

2012PriusBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd Recommend a Chip I saw one the Other Day made for the Prius it was $69.00 and won't void warranty I'd guess a 4-7 mpg Increase Example: I had a 1999 Ford Crew Cab Dually 7.3 Diesel Pick-up Truck with a power chip I went from 16 mpg to 24mpg with a power chip I wouldn't have believed it if hadn't experienced it for myself I'm also looking into getting one of those $69.00 power chip for my 2012 Prius 3 soon it comes with a money back guarantee so you have nothing to loose really also throw a K&N Airfliter in and I saw they even have a hybrid booster that claims to boot mpg I'll hold off on that for now ...

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please do not spread this type of misinformation around the site. Do more research and you will come to realize there is no power chip for any Prius and most are SCAMS. The diesel trucks use power programmers which are much different than a simple chip and much more expensive.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota has done all it can with the hardware, it is up to you to make the changes to YOUR software to use it optimally. Lots of good advice here on PriusChat on the changes you can make to your habits.

"You say you'll change the constitution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change your head
    You tell me it's the institution
    Well, you know
    You better free you mind instead" - Beatles

16. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unlimited MPG easily obtained...take the metro.

17. Hepotter

Hepotter New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be fooled by those MPG claims!!! People have been cheated by gimmicks like that ever since cars were invented. In the old Warshowski and J.C. Whitney catalogs, you could get a 10% increase off of at least a dozen different gimmicks. That would have increased your milage by over 100 percent. None of them worked.

Don't you think Toyota would have had those modifications if they really worked? That would be a world class sales booster. But...they just don't exist yet.

If you want better than posted mpg, then simply slow down.

As far as the magnetism claims, the only thing it attracts are loose nuts!

Don't waste your money on gimmicks...you'll just screw up your car.

Bill Norton likes this.
  18. Godzuki

Godzuki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another mod tip to achieve 80+ mph in certain circumstances - remove floormats, cut a hole in the floor pan in front of each seat to reveal the ground underneath (be careful to avoid any wiring and/or other miscellaneous hoses), buy a good pair of running shoes for you and your passengers, and SCOOCH! as fast as you can to help propel the car forward whenever possible...

19. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL, I thought we were moving ahead in technology not backwards to the Flintstones era:p.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That'll be a tribrid with three power sources. :)