1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What new ignition coils to go with?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Helgaiden, Dec 8, 2023.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    All things in moderation, Mendel. That stuff will give you a headache.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I drive through there once in a while! (good ol' I-78) But that doesn't count.

3. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I-78? Oh, no—-the worst interstate in the East. Or maybe anywhere. You have my profound sympathy. Don’t get caught in a snow storm; you may be in your car for five days!

4. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    LOL. It didn't used to be so bad (like 20 yrs ago?). But yeah - now pretty annoying. I'm in central VA. I've got peeps in the Bronx and others about 60 miles north of there in the Hudson Valley. The *supposed* shortest route to either place always turns up on GPS systems as I-95. Holy cow - hell - and I say the worst interstate in the east. So the alternate is taking I-81 out of central VA. If headed to the Bronx as first stop, I-78 is, unfortunately, the only real choice. But if headed to the Hudson Valley, I can stick with 81 up to Scranton and then pick up I-84. Mountainous and not fun in bad weather, especially after Harrisburg. But way less congestion!

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've been through there a few times, but I've been through just about every US interstate highway a few times.

Shame, you missed one of the nicest Gen1s I've seen at the auctions in a couple of years - went in Harrisburg last week for $2700. It had almost 100k miles, but it was way clean. I wanted to bid, but they blew right through my budget. I figured it would.

6. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I forgot about I-95--bummer. Although south of Richmond it gets better. I once went around DC twice on the Circumferential because I missed my exit sign. Haven't been down there in years, doubt if I ever will again.

7. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish I had known about that one. I'm paying more than that to have my brake booster/accumulator assembly replaced!

ronlewis likes this.
  8. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In my opinion I would change the spark plugs before the ignition coils. I would go with NGK. If problem still arises then I would purchase the ignition coils. I would prefer to buy the Denso. Its your car. Save your money and pay for original coils. In the long run they will out last the cheap brands.

9. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I didn't mean to sound to demanding but I'd prefer a better brand of coils. That's my opinion.