1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What other cars did you consider besides prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime_Time, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The specs I read say there is an additional storage area covered by a lid in the back. Sounds like the place a spare tire would sit. However, my nearest Lexus dealer is about 50 miles from me and since my wife's ES300 has only 48K miles and is in like new condition, I am going to gently discourage her from getting rid of it, so it might be awhile before we make the trip to the dealer.

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It makes sense. I think I remember you mentioning this when the 4th generation was first introduced.

It was kind of disappointing when Toyota disappeared many of the previous Prius clever storage options in the newest model.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • 2019 Camry XLE Hybrid
    • 2019 RAV4 XSE Hybrid w/ Technology Package
    • 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
    • 2019 ES300h (luxury or ultra luxury package)
    • 2018 ES300h (luxury or ultra luxury package) - end of year sale/ last generation sale

The Camry is spacious, quiet, powerful and has the latest tech (TSS 2.0 and Entune 3.0). Apple CarPlay, adaptive headlights and a price drop (in Canada) for 2019 are nice. Of course it has the highest mpg except the Prime (was not considering the regular Prius)

The RAV4 is an interesting proposition. The AWD-i is nice and it’s spacious for both passengers and cargo and has a decent set of standard and optional features. Deciding between the XSE and Limited would be tough. I like the ventilated seat option of the Limited but I like the exterior design of the XSE. Blueprint with the black roof and wheels lis the same combo available on the Range Rover Sport

The ESh is much more money but you get so much more. It’s quieter, has much better materials and the overall cabin ambiance screams luxury car rather than entry-level luxury as its price would suggest. I did not like the Remote Touch interface (mouse on the 2018, touchpad on the 2019) and it doesn’t have folding rear seats like the Camry so I can’t carry skis/snowboards. Climate concierge on the 2019 is definitely a luxury feature. The lack of folding seats ruled it out for me.

Then comes the Prime. Not as luxurious as the Camry or ES, the smallest of the bunch in cabin space and cargo space but it offered something different - an EV driving experience. Plus it’s cool with the carbon fiber rear hatch and 11.6” Full HD MFD. It garners oohs and ahhs like the Gen 2 and its 7” MFD did back in the day. Plus, it’ll introduce EV driving and ownership to my friends and family by association. They can see how it operates and drives on road trips that we take together which is has a bigger effect than simply explaining or describing it to them.

Ultimately, I wanted something different and the Prime delivers. All the others are hybrids which I’ve been driving for over 15 years now.

I prefer a larger cargo area as it was stretched to the limit on a recent ski trip so hopefully that’ll be addressed in the next gen Prime.

Let me know before you do ;) Depending on timing, I may be interested in the ES.

KrPtNk likes this.
  4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird I was in the same boat. Was actually shopping for my wife (or so I thought). We just happen to stop by the dealer on the way home from Sam’s Club and were looking at Highlander and RAV4 Hybrids when a salesman approached and she asked if they had any Prius Primes. They were in the back and just got off the truck. Took a test drive and they gave me a deal too good to pass up particularly for what they gave me for my PiP. Good move on her part as she ended up with a Lexus NX300h hybrid.

iPhone ?

5. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Did you hear about the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid? 41 City 37 Hwy, soft AWD, and 37 cu ft of cargo. Cheaper than Lexus and much more space.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, out of my short list Prime, Clarity, Lexus UX hybrid, Outlander PHV, Nero PHV, RAV4 Hybrid, Crosstreck PHV, and all new Leaf plus and Corolla hybrid, new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid is probably going to be the winner, I think. I almost bought 2018 Rav4 hybrid but could not pull the trigger on less than 40mpg car, and I really hated slanted back seats when folded. 2019 model suppose to have flat cargo floor with rear seats folded. Only thing is that it's not here yet. I am also considering new Crosstreck PHV and new Outlander PHV, but I don't think either is going to make 40mpg cut off. I kinda want to take a look at Niro PHV, fantastic mpg at a very affordable price, but it has small cargo and not available in AWD. Considering this vehicle is going to be a replacement for an AWD Sienna we had, an only hybrid car that will satisfy the size of cargo would be Highlander hybrid, but my wife really wants another minivan, which means Pacifica PHV. We will have to compromise no matter what. :(

#26 Salamander_King, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lexus UXh is kind of small, like C-HR small. Shorter but wider than the Prime. The UXh is taller but I felt like I was on my living room couch when I got back in my prime because of the headroom difference. You would probably like the ride and interior. Also seemed very light as damn near every part on it is made out of aluminum. It also comes standard with run flat tires. When I finished my test drive I parked it next to an RXh (on purpose), got out and started laughing, it was that small. The cargo room didn’t look that impressive even to the front seats. I forgot my tape measure so I couldn’t actually compare it to the prime.

Yeah if you are trying to compare cargo room, I’d definitely go with the RAV4 Hybrid.

Unsupervised!

Raytheeagle and Salamander_King like this.
  8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good topic!

We considered the Volt, but my wife hated the styling, and its battery intruded into the cabin a bit too much for me (felt too much like sitting inside a box). Otherwise largely good though in my view.

I put down a deposit for a Model 3 too, but was not yet in production when we got our P.Prime. Actually, I’m still on their list; haven’t asked for a refund of the deposit yet. I decided that, since I’d changed jobs recently to where I’m commuting nearly 40 miles per day, I really wanted the P.Prime’s additional safety features right away rather than wait for the Model 3 to come available. Plus my wife hates the Model 3’s screen. Apparently, I’m an idiot to think that anything in this world is *not* a fashion statement! Then again, I’m not so sure about its screen on practical grounds either.

I was also considering waiting for the Bolt to come available in Austin TX, but we do periodically go to Houston to visit my mom, and the charging infrastructure in those parts of Houston is still a tad dodgy, except for Teslas: Considerably more Tesla-specific overnight chargers than J1772s, plus a big, juicy SuperCharger in Columbus TX halfway between Austin and Houston. The other thing that dissuaded me from waiting for the Bolt was that it did not have any emergency-braking feature (at the time at least; maybe it does now; not sure). It would beep at you like a mad car, but wouldn’t actually apply the brakes though. Again, I really wanted the best active safety features I could ASAP because of my commute. Also the Bolt’s narrow seats and plasticky interior are a bit of a turn-off...

Plus, of course, there’s Toyota reliability!

Now, I’ll add that if it were now instead of early-mid 2017, I’d very seriously consider the Honda Clarity PHEV, and if it were early 2020 instead of 2017, I’d very seriously consider the Kona or Nero EVs.

#28 mr88cet, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    drash likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input. From the spec, I knew UX is a compact crossover, but the starting price that low for a Lexus, I had to include it on my short list at least until I dismiss it after seeing the real one. If mpg is not the concern, we would go with another minivan or mid to full size SUV or even a pick-up truck. I just can't bring myself to buy another gas guzzler in my household. The search continues.

#29 Salamander_King, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  10. g3eno

g3eno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I never had experience with a hybrid, let alone a Prius. I started driving in more stop and go traffic for work, and the 6 speed 335is I was driving was becoming less and less fun each day. I ended up selling it privately and ended up at Toyota and saw the Prime. My goal was to just do a complete 180, and go for pure fuel efficiency and minimal maintenance. After sitting down and learning about the tax incentive, I learned that I would be all in for $20,500 on a Prime premium (before tax), and said it was a no-brainer. I ended up driving it for about a year, put on 25k, and gave it to my wife because her old Camry was burning oil. She is able to plug in at work, so her commute is almost purely electric. In addition, I've become a Prime spokesperson, and advocate its talents to friends and family. It truly is a great car.

drash likes this.
  11. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I looked at the Clarity PHEV, Ionic and Volt, plus a standard Prius. I did not consider a full EV since I like to take long road trips and they don't have the range and the infrastructure doesn't exist where I travel (backroads, side roads, etc.).

Clarity rode and drove nicely, but I prefer the hatchback and the fuel economy on the PP is superior after the battery is exhausted.
    Ionic was generally crude in construction and execution.
    Volt had nice EV range, but was small on the interior and also lousy fuel economy when the battery exhausted. Nice styling as well.

For my needs, the PP filled the bill. Decent around-town range on EV (about 18-20 miles per charge so far this winter). Decent space with the hatchback allowing easy loading. Comfortable seats. Excellent fuel economy in HV mode.

Compared to the Prius, the price was about the same after rebates and the like, and I get the battery that lets me run it in town for 1 cent per mile.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mid-May 2016, I visited the local Toyota dealer looking for a Prius Level Two ECO with TSS-P. That was the only Prius that did not have TSS-P. I took their Level Three for a test drive and returned it with ~98 MPG ... the salesman was shocked and then I said, "The TSS-P is fine but the mileage is not acceptable. I don't care for the moon roof either."

When we got back, they offered the car for ~$33k. I smiled and said, that is a nice car but I really want the Level Two ECO with TSS-P. They came back with a final offer of ~$28,990. I asked if I could come back on Monday.

At home, I confirmed a price of $29,900 for a BMW i3-REx, end-of-lease, with 6,000 miles ... and ordered it. Working with my bank, I sent them a check and called their accountant to see if she'd gotten it. She had so I asked her to open it ... and the check was there. I took cheap flight to Charlotte NC and I was driving home by sunset.

HOW I GOT A PRIME

We had a backup, 2010 Prius, when early in December, a BMW i3-REx motor mount bolt broke. While it was being repaired under warranty, I resented not having a TSS-P equivalent. Then some demo Prius Primes arrived in Decatur. I test drove one but before I could buy it the next day, it was sold:
    • Sold the 2010 Prius, ~60k miles
    • Bought 2017 Prius Prime Plus, at Tar Box Toyota, Rhode Island
    Bob Wilson

#32 bwilson4web, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My family was more into VWs, but we did have an early-60/ Plymouth Valiant, which was actually a better than I expected.

However looking back at them, their personality seemed mostly to come from their crudeness, unreliability, ... their smoke (frankly)!

Am I willing to forego that kind of personality now? Yeah, definitely!

will the engineer likes this.
  14. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And noise...

will the engineer likes this.