1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What other Toyota wheels fit the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by danmm7, Feb 4, 2016.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's our 2011 Prius with old school Subaru Imprezza WRX wheels (16 inch). The back of the wheel spokes clear the rear brake caliper carriers by approximately 1mm without spacers. I'm using 3mm spacers on the rears and 54.1mm to 56.1mm hubcentric adapter rings all around to center the wheels on the hubs. 20210820_115337.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

Just got the tires now waiting on the TPMS should have them on my Monday or Tuesday and thanks for the helpful information. Funny before I bought these wheels I was going to get 17” WRX wheels from a 2005 nice looking wheel just needed to be refurbished and I didn’t want to spend that kind of money got these BRZ wheels for $300 and trying to make it look a little cool because I’m going to pass it down to my daughter when she gets her drivers license.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you have the wheels in hand, throw one rim on the rear and see if you have clearance issues.

You may have to get some lugnuts though. Look closely at the wheels and determine what type of lugnuts you need for these wheels (see post above).

Also, you might want to measure the inside dimensions of the lugnut holes in the wheels, preferably with a micrometer. You might need to get a thin wall lugnut socket for your lugnuts. Sockets with thick walls might not fit.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Inside micrometers are pricey; a caliper will do quite well. Dial calipers (non-digital) are reasonably priced, good to have.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doh , I meant calipers... good catch. Here's my Mitutoyo calipers reading an inside measurement in millimeters. 20230503_000219.jpeg

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got a cheaper level, made-in-China dial-style a few years back. Had an ultra-cheap digital, but it ate batteries.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recalled seeing "some sort" of micrometer I acquired (legacy house cleaning), but no clue what it was. Any ideas:

IMG_1052.jpeg

I'm thinking it's for checking depth of some sort of holes. There's various length rods, and the micrometer has machined face and tiny piston that can protrude:

IMG_1053.jpeg

8. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

where did you get the painted door moldings?

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got it way back, online Toyota parts from a dealership had them on sale. Was a good price, even with shipping to the 50th state.

agron1979 likes this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I always remove the button cell battery before putting it away. Only put it in when using it, the Duracell battery has lasted a few years now.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

Attached Files:

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks really good, no clearance issues with the rear brake caliper carriers?

How about the lugnut seating surface profile on the wheels?

14. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

There was issues with the rear but the 3mm spacers helped, but need them for the front as well and I got these new lugnuts on EBay and they worked out great.

Attached Files:

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I caution you about the lugnuts you got, if the BRZ wheels have the mating surface like the diagram in post #18 above, then the acorn lugnuts with 60 degree shoulders will make very little contact with the wheel.

If you remove the lugnuts and they have a ring scored into them, or the wheel surface where the lugnuts make contact with the wheel look like the very inside of the bottom of the stud holes, or the top inside corner of the very tops of the holes look like there is scoring or damage, then you might have a problem. A wheel shop should be able to advise you by examining the seats and shoulders of the wheels and lugnuts.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I forgot to mention, when using spacers, there are less threads on the studs engaged by the lugnuts. Combine that with a possibly less than ideal wheel to lugnut interface to prevent loosening of said lugnuts, and... well, you probably shouldn't let your daughter drive it like that.

I'd get the correct lugnuts, or put in longer studs. Or both, if it were my newly licensed child driving the car.

You never did confirm what kind of lugnut seats the BRZ wheels have, rounded or 60 degree tapered holes.

17. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

The factory lugnuts definitely will not fit

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which ones? The Toyota OEM is a mag style and the BRZ lugnuts are threaded for 12mm x 1.25 thread pitch. The Toyota studs are 12 x 1.5mm thread pitch.

So yes, neither of the factory lugnuts fit the wheels, when mounted on your car.

19. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

The ones I got fit perfectly the factory ones didn’t because the lugnuts wall is thinner on the BRZ wheels whereas the Prius lugnut wall are bigger