1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What part does the low bulb plug into?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Matthew Johnson, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Matthew Johnson

Matthew Johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone,

The passenger side low beam bulb was not placed correctly at some point and burnt the area it secures to.

Does anyone know the part number for this piece? I'd like to replace the part but do not know if I need to replace the entire assembly or if I can just replace the part the low beam bulb plugs into.

2013 Prius standard.

Thanks in advance.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Headlights new are 85 bucks on ebay

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m not sure which part you mean. Toyota sells the bulb (glass envelope) and its connector as a unit, part number 90981-13075, but there is a headlamp socket cover, part number 90075-65006, to which they attach. See catalog Figure 81-01, Headlamp; be sure to click View More Images, to see the second image that applies to vehicles with halogen, rather than LED, low-beam headlights.

4. Matthew Johnson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is where the bulb twists in to the headlight assembly. I am looking through the link you provided. Thank you, I will let you know what I find out.

If all else fails I will look to ebay.

#4 Matthew Johnson, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Matthew Johnson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I added a red circle around the part that burnt. It is the white bit with the three notches that the three bulb notches push into before you turn to lock the bulb in place. Can that part be replaced without replacing the entire assembly? If so, do you know the part number?

Thanks in advanced.

Attached Files:

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think that's a separately-available part. I think you're just looking at the part with callout 81135 in the parts link Elektroingenieur supplied, which includes a pair of new twist caps (the 81179 callouts) whether you need them or not.

7. Matthew Johnson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your reply. I found this

Part Number: 9006981008

however, there is only a photos of one site. I cannot tell if there is the twist cap bit on the other side. Is this the part with the twits cap that I need?

Thanks again for your help. If I can replace one part instead of the entire assembly I'd like to go that route.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the feeling the entire assembly is the one part you get to replace.

I mean, there are people who bake the things apart to do inside mods, and if you do that, I'm not sure how many pieces it can be separated into. But it's not clear where you'd get any of those pieces anyway, if only the assembly is sold.

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The cover with part number 90069-81008 is a locally-available equivalent (“procurement part,” in Toyota’s terms), in the U.S. and other areas, for the cover with part number 90075-65006 that I mentioned above. Your cover is probably marked 99226-81017, the part number assigned by Koito, Toyota’s supplier.

I think between the cover, under any of its part numbers, and the plastic parts included with Toyota’s replacement bulb (90981-13075; see image), you should find what you need, without having to replace the entire headlamp assembly.

10. Matthew Johnson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you. I will check out the parts and gt back to you once I have an answer from the supplier.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  11. Matthew Johnson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I removed the assembly. I removed the black ring cover. It looks like I can remove the bulb housing but I cannot find just the housing as a replacement part. Looks like I will have to replace the entire assembly. At least I tried.