1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What people do with very high Dental bills?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Salamander_King, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, complete upper or lower is the full arch replacement. In her case, complete upper AND lower teeth. Basically, entier teeth will be replaced with non-removable fixed implants and dentures, by a procedure called either All-on-6 or All-on-4. 6 will be more expensive, but 4 is not cheap either. All existing GOOD teeth have to be extracted, and either 4 or 6 titanium posts implanted into the jaw bones at a specific angle to support the permanent full denture prosthetics made of Zirconia. This treatment can work for patients who have some bone loss in the jaw without the need for a bone graft procedure like my DW. The surgery will be under general anesthesia and will take 6-8 hours.

I order all my Rx glasses online. My refractory eye exam is covered by insurance. It also reimburses me up to $300 for glasses and a frame. Online progressive glasses I have ordered in the past are all less than $300 in total. Regular optometrist and optician shops including the place like Lenscrafter are all ripoffs.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to remember that next time around, thanks!

#22 bisco, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My eye insurance (which is actually just a vision discount program) is included in the medical plan benefit from my work for free. No additional premium to pay. So, yeah, I came out ahead. It covers my entire family. So, three eye exams and three glasses for free.

Dental insurance is not as comprehensive as the medical insurance I have. But still, the premium I pay is only $60/mo. So, for $720/yr, it covers annual check-ups including x-rays and two dental hygienist cleanings/yr, plus up to $2,000 in major dental treatment costs if incurred. With three people in a family plan covered, it pays itself. If I paid as-we-go, it cost $180/visit x2 per year x3 people = $1,080 without any treatment. But, it does not help much for prosthetics.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've got nothing to offer for dental cost management advice.

But for glasses? I'm pretty happy with what zenni.com sold me. The frames are pretty boring but they ground me some good progressive lenses with all the fancy coatings for under $80, and some perfect single-vision glasses for about $36.

I was skeptical at first but it worked. I just uploaded my prescription and clicked through the choices. Two weeks later I had good specs.

bisco likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Zenni and Eye-buy-direct and Warby Parker all worked for me. I have bought at least 8 paris in last 10+ years, and never a problem.

Zenni is by far the least expensive. Eyebuydirect is also not very expensive especially if you look for an online coupon. And their customer service is great. Warby Parker cost a bit more but they have at home trial feature. So if you want to try a few different frames you can pick up to 5 frames to try on at home (it's free!) before buying one with Rx lenses. A great feature if you don't know what frame looks good on you and want your spouse's opinion.

6. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you guys for sharing your online glasses buying experience.

Also wear progressive lenses and for that reason hadn't tried Zenni, but your experiences have given me the courage to try them. I am in the market for a pair of prescription glasses with progressive lenses but have been putting off getting the new prescription change because of the cost.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why, at the optician, do they have to point that device at your face to determine the center of your vision or something?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dentist every 5 years? i better start flossing (n)

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All the dental plans offered me, alongside medical plans at the last employer or on the individual market since, have really been little different than "easy payment plans" for regular care, with an annual maximum benefit of about 2X the annual premium. And some discount for crowns and similar. Nothing at all resembling major medical coverage.

My dental office has its own in-house 'insurance' plan, basically just an up-front payment for a discount plan. Approximately a wash if you go in for just two annual exam/cleanings, a savings if you do anything more, and keeps customers tied to their office instead of moving elsewhere. Since I no longer have, or am constrained by, 'real' dental insurance, I've chosen to get three cleanings per year, more than is allowed by any past insurance.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My dentist has started their own 'insurance' program which reads like a guaranteed income scheme. Given I do two cleanings and fluoride treatments any way, the insurance premium is rough parity. But at least she knows there will be guaranteed income no matter the decade I've already been her patient.

I'll probably sign up when I go in for my latest dental procedure ... a crown. I hate ordinary, 3d party insurance who practice medicine without a license.

Bob Wilson

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we pay about a thousand a year for two of us. like any insurance, it's a loser if you don't need it. but the last few years, it has returned double to us. i would prefer to lose the money.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not made Rx glasses at an optician shop for years, but for online Rx glass orders, it is a good idea to have your pupilar distance measured. This distance does not change like your Rx unless you are still growing like a young kid, so you can keep using the number for years. You can measure it yourself using a ruler. Look here: How to Measure Your PD | Zenni Optical

Yeah, I hate insurance. If I don't need it, then I should not buy it. But, I don't always know if I need it or not. When I need it, I'd rather have enough coverage than not enough. My auto, home, and life policies are only for peace of mind, and for only if I need it. I have lost money on all of those policies, but I am not going to risk not having one. Health and dental insurance are money savers. The dental is not a big saver, but our health insurance saves me at least $40K every year. One big question I have been thinking is if I should buy more annuity or not... You know annuity is a form of insurance. It can be a powerful tool in retirement.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’ve never understood annuities, so have avoided them.
    I always felt financial advisors pushed them hard, so they must be a ripoff

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, compared to a no-load mutual fund-based IRA or 401(k) which are investment vehicles, the annuity is an insurance product. It usually has higher fees and administration costs so it is not the best for growth. But structured correctly, it is a powerful tool to provide a guaranteed lifetime income which no other growth-oriented investment vehicles can offer.

It is as safe as money in a savings account, but not as liquid as the bank funds. I have an old retirement plan from my previous employment that can no longer receive additional contributions. This plan offered a traditional annuity account as an option. I could have rolled over the balance to my current retirement plan which is essentially collections of no-load, low-fee mutual funds investment account, by distributing the balance over months (no option for the lamp sum rollover). But I kept holding on to the annuity as a Guaranteed Rate Saving account (with no additional savings put in) in the previous retirement plan. In retrospect, I feel very smart having done that. The account balance has grown almost ~75% in the last 5+ years with no new contribution. The fact that the balance never moves down is very satisfying and assuring in this day and age of market volatility.

bisco likes this.
  15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Received my first pair of internet glasses from EyeBuy Direct today. I wear progressive lenses and was always hesitant to try glasses from an internet provider.

The glasses fit perfectly and while the new prescription is taking a little getting used to, that is expected. The glasses are just fine and I saved around $150.

Appreciated those who shared their experience. It helped me to decide to give internet glasses a try.

I learned a lot about glasses and using the different companies' interactive tools - I had never been that involved in buying glasses before.

Next time I may try Zenni - their glasses were about $70 cheaper but I was having trouble finding frames I liked - turns out that was user -me- error. If I had it to do over I may have bought from Zenni now that have developed a better understanding of their search function for frames.

Typical price for my progressives in the past was almost $400 from Walmart Optical the cheapest game in our area for glasses.

Salamander_King likes this.