1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What PHEV is this that I bought ('05 GenII)? No HV battery :/ Pic's.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bravotango, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Bravotango

Bravotango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a GenII Prius. It had check engine light on but drove ok. I thought battery in spare area was supplemental but, it is the main battery. 2005, 87k miles.

I was going to measure modules and swap out bad ones only to discover no HV battery.

So, does anyone know what this battery is? Can I (and where) get replacement cells? Does anyone these systems that I can pay to figure out how to proceed? Under the stereo is a control panel that says pluginconversions who are out of business but I can see a little from waybackmachine.

Should I scrap this and go back to regular OEM battery? I live in Hawaii, hard to find expertise here and shipping has higher cost. I feel comfortable rebuilding an OEM pack (never done it) but not in troubleshooting these control systems.

As I began to take out battery in trunk, I can't get car in Drive or Reverse. It stays in N. I have removed 12v power to rest/reset but nothing. I detached charging system and am getting no comm with charging system on my Torque OBD so I'll re-connect that.

Willing to paypal anyone. I am stuck. Thanks in advance and can't wait to get my car back on road and look forward to contributing here, it's my first post.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool, you bought someone's project car. I like it.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! check the 12 volt health. there are many threads here on phev conversions, your best bet is to try and figure out how to remove it. all the best.(y)

5. Bravotango

Bravotango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @JC- it wasn't a project but a running car. It was complete and a nice, professional install. I'm afraid some cells are bad.

@jimbo- thanks. I learned much from that and other links for that system. I also learned it's called PHEV not PIP (plug in Prius) so I fixed title.

@ Bisco, thanks, good to be here. I was thinking to remove as well and need to see how to interface OEM battery with what I have. I imagine as long as OEM battery gets power to the bus, it will work. I have to research what is missing/removed so will look at stock pictures and may ask what something is called from a pic if it's not on OEM pack.

Free car (BMW..) to use and maybe airfare etc. if anyone wants to come to Maui and get this up and running. Seriously. I don't need any more projects but want to get this going. At this point I'd like to get it back to driving condition and don't know why it won't go into D or R anymore. Ideas?

Thx!

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PICC was a pretty cool system.
    It is possible to get this up and running.
    I never owned one but rode down from San Francisco to LA in one for a conference.

Would be able to help point you in the right direction on this vehicle.
    Would be interested to hear the history behind this car. How the heck did it get to Maui?

7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From PICC
    "A large battery pack and a charger are installed in the car below the rear deck.

No original components in the vehicle are modified and storage space is not impacted.

The charger plugs into a regular 120v outlet and fully charges the additional battery pack in about 5 hours.

When charging is complete the car can be driven up to 25 miles without the engine turning on at speeds below 35mph.

At higher speeds the electricity that was stored by charging the additional battery pack blends with the gasoline powering the engine to produce much higher mileage than an unmodified vehicle.

When the additional battery pack is empty the car reverts to original operation automatically."

8. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good job taking it apart! I especially liked the pliers put on the battery contacts in your photo :-\

-Alex

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a clear plastic cover over the batteries.
    So the pliers is not touching the pack.

10. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My apologies. I did not see the clear cover.
    - Alex

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like this version has the GoldPeak batteries in it.
    So complete battery replacement.
    I think retail this was near $12,000 if I remember right.

Call me and we can talk.

#11 ericbecky, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. Bravotango

Bravotango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @Alex, haha- I knew I should have removed the harbor freight vise grips in the photo. It is not indicative of my tools but as Eris said, it has a cleat cover which makes it look pretty cool actually.

@Eric, will do and thanks for your posts so far. I researched last night and saw it was the Gold Peak batteries but didn't see where to buy some in case I need to replace some modules. I may test the packs and see if I can find some glaring voltage delta's and/or corrosion causing a problem. I sadly have no idea of the history as I bought it (wholesale) from a dealer. Another reason people should never buy from the dealer.