1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What powers Prime HVAC in winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sue Case, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Local conditions are also a factor. Wetter, more humid, locations will result in the heat pump having run more thaw cycles to de-ice the exterior coil.

2. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    For cold weather let's throw EV out the window and install a good old trucker staple. Screenshot_20230110-102957.png

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Diesel would be safer to work with than gasoline.

4. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I've been wondering what's wrong with my heat pump in winter. AC in the summer has been uneven, and heat in the winter is definitely not what it was when I got the car.

I took my 2019 PP to the dealer at a time they weren't busy with winter tire changeovers. Timing wasn't great because the weather wasn't super cold, so it didn't perform as poorly as it would around freezing. There was *some* heat coming out, so they said it was working fine. I asked what diagnostics they performed. They said, "Diagnostics?" :rolleyes:

#44 mountaineer, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did the car sit during the pandemic?

The A/C of the Camry wasn't working too great; sometimes not at all. Neighbor suggested that the oil had settled at the low points, and created a blockage, possibly in the compressor, itself that was keeping refrigerant from moving. After a quick, um, vent and drive on the highway, it started working fine.

6. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Nope – car hasn't sat unused for more than a week, and otherwise is driven 10km most days.

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting article found that describes radiant heating as being something that may be available on the 2023 Prius Prime, but I'm not sure.
    https://www.mobilityengineeringtech.com/component/content/article/ae/pub/features/articles/45896

Maybe one of the reasons its being delayed until April of this year. Might have to upgrade to the XSE Premium, like the bZ4X Limited trim, to get a package that includes this option. Don't get too excited, its one of the reasons the bZ4X doesn't have a glove box. Maybe you lose the glovebox when you chose this package. Also details why Toyota chose gas injected heat pumps.

farmecologist likes this.
  8. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Bisco, I see you're still active here. Good for you. But you're still driving the OLD car !!!

I hit a deer and got a Great deal from Insurance to pay for the New Prime.

I just posted an article from a Detroit reviewer concerned that Toyota is not keeping up with the Prius and may Fizzle out.
    The 2023 Prime doesn't have a big jump in technology over the 2022. They need to Lead and not follow.

Glad you're still posting.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks ken, same to you.
    i couldn't pull the trigger on the 2017 prime because of the raised hatch floor.
    but now i wish i had, because i could have purchased one fo $22,000. at some point, and would be worth much more now.
    nevertheless, i like what i see with the 2023 prime, full hatch, increased range, and good looks.
    i'll be taking a test drive if they ever get any on the lot.
    still love my pip :)

10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm starting to see a few prime premiums ( i.e. - "huge screen" models ) in the 23-24K range. Granted, they have around 95K or so miles on them, but at least two of them came from California ( the ones I can see the carfax from via cars.com ).

That surprised me. According to the price graph, dealers do appear to be starting to 'reprice' lower. Just what I wanted to see. Perhaps people in CA are moving to EVs or other hybrids at this point? Or leases are done?

The raised hatch floor does bother me a bit...but if prices for the premium models drop further, I may have to bite on one. (y) Thinking about this...I'm not sure how miles driven correlates to anything on a plugin...since the engine isn't used nearly as much? Hmm...(n)