1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what questions should i be asking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Landon51, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys. long time.

I'm currently driving s Ford Taurus X so i could drive down and you're the car back to the SF Bay area.

I'm leery (leary?) of anything his mechanic said; i doubt he is a hybrid mechanic.

it starts, then it throws code] and the red triangles comes on. I'm too tired to think clearly. I've asked for the vin.

what else should i be looking into on this car?

would the main battery short?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Buy a code reader on amazon and let us know the code. We can go from there. I have plenty of things for you to check when buying a gen2

iPhone ?

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you are going to go look at a car to buy, my question is why would you buy a broken car? There are lots of things that could turn on the red triangle and prevent the car from running. You would need a scan tool that could read codes from ALL modules on a Prius (many people here get a mini VCI cable with a pirated copy of Techstream - the OE diagnostic software on amazon/ ebay and put it on an old windows laptop. Can be tricky to set up but gives access to everything - YMMV).

Most generic scantools will only communicate with the engine computer. An app like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant can get codes and some data from the hybrid battery ecu as well.

Without proper codes from the car, anything is just guessing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.