1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What reasons would you drive an Electric Car?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by adric22, Nov 24, 2010.

?
  1. To reduce Air Pollution

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. To prevent Global Warming

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. Because it is cool, you like new technology

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Avoid evil oil companies

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  5. stop funding terroists

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  6. Desire your country to be energy independent

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  7. Convenience of not going to gas station

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  8. other

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wanted to create this poll because I'm doing some research to figure out people's motives. When talking about electric cars, it is always assumed the only one who would drive such a thing is an environmentalist who is doing it to reduce air pollution or global warming. But I know plenty of people who have other motives, so I wanted to see what the real motives are.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You appear to have left "To spend less on transportation operating expenses" off your Poll. I currently save $1000 a year in gas alone with my Prius, to move me to an electric car, I would need to spend less money on eletricity then I do now in gasoline.

4 people like this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your option to 'prevent global warming' is poorly worded.
    Me driving electric won't 'prevent' global warming. However, it will help me 'not contribute as much' to global warming as I do driving a gas burner.
    Energy independence for my country wraps up a number of other benefits rather nicely. So I would label that as my number one answer.
    As for air pollution, I took it that you meant local/city air pollution? If so, I vote for that one.

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I thought about putting that on there, but most of my research has indicated that the money saved on gas is offset by the higher cost of the vehicle. Perhaps that isn't always the case, but it seems to be most of the time. I haven't really met anyone who said they wanted or bought an electric vehicle to save money.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I checked all the boxes. I have been driving an electric car (Zap Xebra SD) for 3 1/2 years now, and I drive it for all the reasons you offered. I also checked "other" because in addition to the reasons you offered, I also drive electric because I just don't like gasoline (it smells bad) or the engines that burn it (they are noisy and they vibrate the car even when sitting still -- except for the Prius which shuts off the ICE, a major advantage of the Prius).

Unfortunately, my EV only has a range of about 40 miles, so if I'm going farther than 30 or 32 miles I have to drive the Prius, which happens about once a month on average, and in addition, my EV does not have skid-control electronics or ABS, so I drive the Prius when the roads are slippery, which happens maybe 8 or 10 times in an average winter. (I don't need to go out every day. If it's really slippery I don't even drive the Prius.)

6. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about personal independence? My biggest goal is to be entirely off the grid and as self-sufficient as possible. This cannot be achieved when you have to regularly buy your fuel from someone else or the feedstock to brew your own.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personal independence is a nice idea, but we are all dependent on others. I am dependent on medicine (principally levothyroxin). I had a quarter-acre garden when I lived in rural N.D. and still could not grow all my own food.

Rather than trying to make myself independent of the world, I'd like to make my country and the world independent of limited and fast running-out resources, and I'd like to make my country independent of oil from countries who are the principal source of funding for terrorists.

However, I can see personal independence as a motive for driving an electric car; though you are still dependent on the government to build the roads. -- Speaking of which, there's going to have to be some sort of road use tax on EVs.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the idea of advancing new and efficient technologies. This is one reason I drive and promote Prius.
    I'll also drive all electric vehicles when it reduces my overall transportation cost, another reason I drive Prius not Corolla or Camry. I drive Toyota because I only want the best. 20+ years working as a mechanic on all makes taught me that Toyota is the most reliable manufacturer followed closely by Mazda.

1 person likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I voted other but only because "I've always wanted to be hugged by a Polar Bear" wasn't a poll choice....

1 person likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many folks are blinded by low capital costs, and suffer huge operating expenses because of it. (Inkjet vs laser printers comes to mind) Some of us can better afford capital costs than operating expenses, I only asked that it's operating expense be lower than my Prius.
    And if you leave it off your poll choices, you never will.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That about sums it up for me.

(I live in Maine. Expensive electricity but relatively clean and low on CO2. Overall performance wouldn't be that great due to terrain and climate, but I'm a bit better than EPA in the Prius and I'd expect to do even better if I were commuting in an EV.)

I view electrification as a necessary part of modern sustainability.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I could check off many of the options or few, depending whether the source fuel is grid or personal PV. This poll is a good example of why a poll's value is so variable. It is bullet point thinking at its worse.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    geeus, i think i am developing carpel tunnel. why cant we have an "all of the above?"

i would also add "save money" MUCH less maintenance cost. i am looking at a MINIMUM 5 cents per mile savings and with the federal tax discount, my Leaf will be cheaper than my 2010 Prius even with the Priority purchase discount and state sales tax waiver

14. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I voted other because I want the US to stop needing foreign oil -- it has nothing to do with how the oil companies are evil or not.

15. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. How do you rate Honda? Thanks

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally missed the option: Preparing for peak oil scenarios

Cheap petroleum is likely gone for good, and preparing in advance for a future where consuming less petroleum is an economic necessity may be a wise idea. Use petroleum now to build solar panels, solar thermal plants, geothermal plants, batteries, etc. but don't just burn it.

17. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is very difficult to create an objective poll. This one is biased towards being "green," global warming, and against the "evil" oil companies. Those are not my priorities.

I have no objection to driving an EV, but it will needs to be proven mechanically, operationally dependable, convenient, comfortable, and cost effective. The Prius has a long, well established record of sound mechanical engineering. It has proven dependable on warm days, cold days, on the flat, and in the mountains; I do not find it inconvenient to fill the gas tank every 450 or so miles. OTOH, how often will the wife park in the garage, then later, getting ready for bed you ask ... did you plug the car in? No. You get up and go plug the car in. I find the Prius makes no sacrifice in comfort. Cost efectiveness will vary with each owner. In my situation ... the Prius is very cost effective.

In time, EV's will meet most of my criteria, but not until range is extended, and there are charging stations readily available. But, along the Interstate, there will still be gouging; and I am still convinced that government will find ways to tax EV's to restore lost income from the loss of gasoline taxes.

It will be interesting to see how it all develops and plays out.