1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What "Recommended Maintenance" should really be done?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sarah B, May 7, 2019.

1. Sarah B

Sarah B New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2010 Prius with 124,000 miles on it, runs great. Have always done oil changes, recently got new tires and replaced the 12 Volt Battery. The Toyota Dealership says I need an EFI, AIS, Brake Flush and Spark Plugs. Is it a good idea to do all of of these or are they just trying to sell me things. The EFI/AIS is $271, Brake Flush is $135 and Spark Plugs are $155. Thank you for any help anyone can give as I like to know before hand. (Don't like overpaying or paying for things I don't need. Like how they charge $35 for the cabin air filter that I can buy for $15 and takes less than 5 minutes to change)

bisco and mikey_t like this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What’s the history maintenance? Spark plugs are changed at 120,000 mi, if they weren’t then it needs to be done. If it was changed at 120,000 then you don’t need it. And if brakes were flushed last month, you don’t need it. Catch my drift :p

bisco likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm stumped by EFI/AIS. EFI is maybe Electronic Fuel Injection, AIS: no clue.

When in doubt, go back to basics: read the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet, stick with that for now?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    follow the maintenance schedule that came with your car. add egr circuit cleaning and tranny fluid change.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don’t know what an EFI/AIS is, so you don’t need it.

The spark plugs for $155 is a good deal, especially if they use the Toyota-required iridium spark plugs. Spark plug change on a Prius is quite labor intensive.

Your engine coolant and inverter coolant (separate things) should have been replaced by now.

It would be good if they inspect the brakes, which probably need mo work, and lubricate the brake sliding pins, which is very little work.

A transmission oil change in a Prius should cost no more than $150, and I’m being generous. Do not fall for any stories about “transmission flush” or “torque converter.” The Prius does not have a torque converter and there are no transmission lines to flush. So if they tell you transmission fluid change will cost $300, don’t let them do that. I had a dealer try that. I’m well-informed and everybody here will back this up: Transmission flush is impossible on a Prius; you just unscrew a bolt, the fluid comes out. You put the bolt back (with a new gasket) and put the new fluid in. No filter, no flush. So it’s inexpensive.

#5 Rebound, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, more like no more than $100. Four quarts (or liters) of Toyota ATF WS and fill/drain bolt replacement washers retail for around $40, and it's a simple drain and fill.

A scenario: you have a brain bubble, and pour motor oil into the transaxle. Now what?

Honda has a guidance for flushing a transmission: drain and fill (with proper fluid), then drive around the block. Repeat twice more. And this is for a regular automatic transmission, one where you maybe get 50% of the fluid out, with a single drain.

But yeah, if there's no contamination, then a "flush" is not needed. Still, the term "flush" is just ubiquitous, when talking about transmission fluid change. I seem to recall @NutzAboutBolts using the word, even when he was (obviously) just doing a drain and fill. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, lol.

#6 Mendel Leisk, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.