1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What say you Gen III Mod Junkies?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DaYooper, May 15, 2011.

1. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I thought I would start a thread to elicit opinions about my options for back-up cameras. I currently own a BOYO backup cam, it is the bar type and looks like this:

[​IMG]

It worked on my Tundra and there was a hole directly behind the license plate on the truck. So, the question is, there is no hole on the Prius but there is a small gap where the wire could go up, except that the wire would be partially exposed. Not the exact look I was trying to go for. So, the question is, should I just get rid of this camera and opt for one of the late model Camry cameras from ebay? I have two concerns about the ebay models. First, I would be spending extra cash. Second, they seem to all come from Hong Kong and I really don't want to wait "20 business days" to receive the camera. So what say you mod junkies? Should I go with the existing camera or spend the extra cash to make it look nice? How long did it take you to receive your cheap ebay camera?

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always do it right if you know how to and are capable. Otherwise, you may regret it every time you look at the exposed wires. Shipping from China is actually not that bad. I've ordered stuff from there and it usually took 8-9 days.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would agree with macmaster5. If your going to do it, do it right. The BOYO may work just fine, but you might regret the exposed wire or drilling. The Camry camera is not that expensive and looks stock Prius. Unless you have a deadline...what's a little wait in the big picture? ;)

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've heard complaints on both - the Toyota's on EBay look very stock - and have an excellent picture..... Plus the imbedded distance lines are a nice touch...

It also mounts easily in the same spot.