1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Scanner to Buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Koji San, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Koji San

Koji San Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I am new here & I have red triangle showed on my dash board. Just want to know what kind of scanner should I buy to diagnose the red triangle for my 07 Toyota Prius (2nd Gen). Thx so much!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Many prefer to use Techstream (dealer technician software) on a windows device with a mini-vci cable (or better).

You might get by with using an OBD2 bluetooth adapter and an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant or Torque.

FYI: your posts are being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

Koji San likes this.
  3. Koji San

Koji San Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thx so much for your help!!

SFO likes this.
  4. Koji San

Koji San Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received the techstream from Amazon but the disc was damage. I have to wait again for the replacement. this red triangle only show after I jump my car & then I changed the 12 volts battery but red triangle still showing & also the round yellow with exclamation point. Just wondering why still showing. Do I have to delete this on the scanner in order not to show. Thanks so much if any body will able to help me this issue.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    XTool D7 looks to be a really good diag tool; its faster than Techstream but costs like $400.

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a good review of the XTool D7.

I have Techstream, but I first use the ScanGauge 2, It is quickly reads the specific Toyota Prius DTC's.

8. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found Torque to be poor at throwing up codes. It's OK for clearing them though.
    Don't know about Dr Prius.

9. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Torque is ok for many things and doesn't cost much, but if you need bidirectional functions it will cost you more. Torque will not help with airbags, tpms, smart keys and such.

10. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got my XTool D7 in the mail yesterday. The Car Car Nut has a discount code in his video so I saved $47 (10% discount). Can't wait to let it do scanning on my vehicles but, first, I'll be using it to program my daughter's new key fob for her Mazda. (She bought it used and only came with one key.) After getting the new key fob working, I'll then go in and delete the key fob that she no longer has.
    Like the Tech Stream, it also lets you go tweak your beeping notifications which will be nice. (Like turning off the beeping from the seat belt detector....I like to put my backpack/laptop case on the passenger seat the car will beep since it thinks' there's a person there...so annoying.)

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  11. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those who have used both Dr. Prius and Hybrid Assistant, which one is better for reading/clearing Prius codes? Any other reasons to pick one over the other?

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    AFAIK Dr Prius can only read/clear HV control (hybrid ecu) and ECM (ICE-engine) codes (& display HV battery data of course). IDK what HA can do for codes- it does have lots of data for ICE & hybrid/HV battery.

Ernie stires likes this.
  13. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I've been playing around my new XTool D7 scanner....very impressive. It has a wealth of information and live data and features I'm still going through.
    I did hear the XTool can do much of what the $8,000 Toyota TechStream can do, like turn off warning sounds and such but I couldn't find the ability to turn off my passenger seatbelt warning alarm...you need the D8 model to have that feature. (The D7 costs $479 and D8 costs $699)
    I did find the key fob programming features and waiting to get my daughters' Mazda so I can program her replacement fob we purchased.
    I asked about programming both our Prius keys (2017 and 2021) to work with both vehicles but you can't do that since each vehicle has it's own ID number that it's linked to....bummer!

Alamoqueen, Georgina Rudkus and SFO like this.
  14. Paul 1594

Paul 1594 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Will the D7 perform a offset linear valve relearn on a Gen III Prius

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know, but there's also a no-scan-tool, jumper wire method to trigger that procedure in Gen 3.