1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What services you need and what you don't

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Rusty,

I'm well aware of DIY techniques to increase engine operating temp such as grill blocking and use of an engine block heater. The fact that owners in cold areas need to resort to such practices demonstrates that the Prius gasoline engine does not generate tremendous excess heat. That is indicative of its efficient design.

If you don't block the grill and very cold air (say it is at 0 degrees F) continuously flows through the engine compartment, while the powertrain is generating little power as the car is moving at low speeds, would you be able to agree that the engine will be operating at much lower temps than normal?

2. rusty houndog

rusty houndog mountain rider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: What services you need and what you don't

Efficient or not, a 13:1 compression ratio will create plenty of excess heat in any engine, but the Prius is designed to conserve all that excess heat. Thinking the Prius will not run the ICE just to make heat is wrong.

Yes, I would agree that if you do nothing to counteract the cold the car will be cold. DUH!

That reality is now reappearing here in Wyoming; I have to put my grill blockers back in. I've never used a block heater, that's how I know the time it takes to warm the ICE at 20F. For me, the bother and investment in an electric block heater is a waste of time and money as compared to letting the ICE heat with gasoline. If I were not using synthetic oil I might consider it, but probably would not use one even then; the total cost/benefit is all wrong.

3. MimosaDrive

MimosaDrive New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just had the 2005 Prius 80K service at a Toyota dealer today and they said I should replace the spark plugs. I was okay with that until they quoted $119 for replacing the four plugs, so I told them that seemed pricey and I would do it later.

Is that a normal dealer price for something like this? When I googled for a price on 2005 Prius spark plugs, Auto Parts World showed a retail price of $23.38@ for DENSO plugs but sell them for $7.85@.

On most items like tires, windshield wiper blades, etc. the Toyota dealer has generally had competetive prices But their price for spark plugs seems high. Any comments?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer parts dept price for the correct NGK or Denso iridium spark plugs should be around $12 each. So it sounds like they are charging you $70 to install, which is actually pretty inexpensive considering dealer tech labor rates are around $100/hour or more.

If you buy from another source and DIY, I suggest you make sure the plugs are the correct iridium model. Some iridium plugs will not last as long as the correct plugs which are rated for 120K miles.

1 person likes this.
  5. rusty houndog

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What Wong said; 120K service life, and that is the factory rating.

Try to imagine some weirdness you were doing to cause such a premature failure. If you can't imagine such action, choose a different dealer for your next service.

6. NightRider

NightRider New Member

At my 60k service, the tech recommended the following:

1. Service Throttle Body - said it needs cleaning, mentioned butterfly valve

2. Mass Air Flow Sensor - said it needs to be cleaned and reset

3. Drive Belt Replacement - said it controls power steering, showing signs of small cracks.

I live and drive in the desert in Phoenix, mainly highway miles.

Would be interested to here from Galaxee or anyone else that feels confident in responding as to whether or not these items would be necessary in my conditions. I have read through most of the posts but only saw a brief mention of "throttle body".

No of these items are in Galaxee's original post, so I am a little suspicious.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    TB is probably worth cleaning if you can see crud on the valve. it tends to get residue buildup on it. at 70k DH cleaned up the MAF sensor on our car, it wasn't horribly filthy but there was definitely some stuff on it.

if the belt is cracking, it's time to think about replacing it. ask them to show you the cracks though.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Depends on where you live. A warm climate, you may never need to clean the hot wires in the MAF. A climate like mine, with -40 temps, you may need to clean the MAF twice a year, at least I have to on my FJ

The MAF is easy to clean on a Prius, and incredibly easy to clean on the FJ. They 2004-2009 Prius and the FJ both appear to use the same MAF.

[​IMG]

First of all, you need the proper cleaner

CRC Industries Automotive Product Detail

Never, EVER attempt to clean the hot wires with a q-tip or brake cleaner, you will destroy them and face a very expenisve parts replacement

The hot wires are buried inside the barrel of the MAF

[​IMG]

The bulb thing on the exterior is the Intake Air Temp sensor, which is integrated into the MAF sensor

You don't need much spray, perhaps a 2 sec burst and it will be squeaky clean. With my Prius, I did it every 2 years and didn't notice any difference in how it ran, or the fuel economy

With my FJ, there is an immediate difference in how it runs.

Not sure what they mean by "reset" the MAF. In the fall, when I change the plugs in the FJ and clean the MAF, I disconnect the neg on the battery.

This wipes out the fuel trim maps, so the vehicle is forced to learn new fuel trims with fresh plugs. Otherwise it could take 2-3 tanks of fuel before the vehicle adjusts

9. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

galaxee,

Way back when I first bought my 2005 Prius, I thought it was beltless. But then DanMan32 posted in response that there is only one belt, but nowadays I can't still remember what he said it was for. I'm petty sure it was NOT for the power steering (as mentioned in NightRider's post just before yours) because the steering is boosted electrically so there is NO fluid to be pumped. I think I read that the new 2010 has NO belts at all (is this true as far as you know?). So what is the ONE belt really used for in the 2004 thru 2009 (2G) Prius?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ken,

that's the engine water pump in the 2g. the 2010 has no belts at all.

11. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

galaxee,

Thanks for the quick reply. I also know that the 2010 did away with the chain drive inside the Power Split Device (transmission) so that it is gears all the way now (I saw the cutaway comparison somewhere---probably here). And I'm pretty sure the 2010 still has the timing chain instead of a weaker timing belt.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

12. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My car is due for its 40K maintenance. I will be taking it to a new Toyota agency because i moved.

The scheduled maintenance guide says that it's supposed to have the following:

replace engine oil and filter
    rotate tires
    visually inspect brake linings/drums and break pads

For special operating conditions, it lists 4 things to inspect and also, tighten the nuts and bolts on the chassis.

I don't think i drive under special conditions, except i was driving in heavy stop and go freeway traffic for about a half hour a day, about 4 days per week for about 7 months. Now i'm not.

So i'm planning to just have the basic done.

I just wanted to check with you guys for validation, and to ask what is probably a reasonable price range. I think i paid close to $100 for the 35K maintenance at the other place (same service).

13. rusty houndog

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Although Galaxee has a correct idea about changing cracked belts, I would instead suggest it is about time you consider changing your service supplier; they are obviously not telling you the truth.

See Gallaxe's answer to Ct. Ken V and jayman on warm and cold effects on the MAF.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

if they can't show him the cracked belt, sure. but that's why i advised that he ask to be shown the cracks before replacing the belt.

15. jaycat9

jaycat9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got my Prius new in Jan 08 and am coming up on 95,000 miles now in about 21 months. In the original post there were several services recommended to be done at about 100,000 miles. I'm wondering how many of those I really need right now and how many I could probably wait on a little longer, say to like 120,000 miles.

These are the only services/maintenance that have ever been done to my Prius:
    -oil changes every 5-6k miles
    -engine air filter at 30k and 70k miles
    -cabin air filter at 55k miles
    -tires at 60k miles (waited til it was kinda scary driving in rain!)

I've got a good relationship with my service guy at the dealer. He's never tried to sell me anything -- just asks what I want and I say just an oil change. At about 80k miles I asked if there were maintenance things coming up that I would need to do. He said yes but because my car was so young age-wise (as opposed to mileage-wise) that I could hold off a bit longer.

Is this true? And does anyone have any thoughts / recommendations about what (if anything) I should have done soon? Thanks.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If your car has a clean bill of health, I suppose you could hold off a bit. Had a cvt fluid change yet??

1 person likes this.
  17. jaycat9

jaycat9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks for the response -- No, haven't had the CVT fluid change yet. Just the regular oil changes, and the air filters and tires are the only things I've ever had done (well, and a back window replacement following an unfortunately placed foul ball).

Do you think I should get the CVT fluid change now?

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, I would have the CVT fluid changed. Easy enough as a DIY, there are threads here that document the procedure in painful detail

19. bigbearballs

bigbearballs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, I'm going in tomorrow for 100k maintenance, is this it?

1 Change transaxle fluid

2 Engine and inverter fluid

3 CVT fluid

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

1 and 3 are redundant. Transaxle is the same as CVT.

4 Replace engine and cabin air filters

5 Replace engine oil and oil filter

6 Inspect brakes, suspension, exhaust system, constant velocity joints on front driveshafts (if not done at 90K miles)