1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What services you need and what you don't

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 22, 2007.

1. skywri433

skywri433 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the quick reply. I will look on my invoice to see whether the transaxle and inverter coolant were replaced during the recall. Thanks for the helpful advice.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No kidding. Where do you spend $150 for dinner ? I think I have managed $50 for a party of four. LOL

3. skywri433

skywri433 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked my invoice and it states that they replaced the inverter fluid when the HV electric water pump was replaced at 75,000 miles. It doesn't state that the transaxle fluid was changed.

1) Are the inverter and transaxle related?

2) Is the transaxle fluid another name for the transmission fluid? Should I have changed the transmission fluid before 100,000 miles?

3) When is the next time I should change the inverter fluid - 125,000 miles or 175,000 or somewhere in between?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The inverter and transaxle share the same coolant. "Inverter fluid" means inverter/transaxle coolant.

2. Transaxle fluid is Toyota ATF WS which is "transmission fluid". It should be changed no later than 60K miles, but better late than never.

3. The engine and inverter/transaxle coolant should be changed at 50K mile intervals, after the factory-fill coolant has been replaced. Hence, the next change would be at 125K miles for the inverter/transaxle coolant.

5. skywri433

skywri433 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your enlightening explanation.

1) Why does the inverter coolant's life go from 100,000 miles on the first fill to 50,000 miles of use after that. Since the properties of the fluid didn't change, what is the difference.

2) What is the service interval of ATF fluid? Every 60,000 miles?

3) Is there anything else that I should do for maintenance at 100,000 mile mark?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) Good question. My guess is that Toyota specified a shorter service life for subsequent fills because some old coolant remains in the system after it is drained, as much as 30+% in the case of the engine, due to fluid being trapped in the cabin heater core.

2) Toyota does not have an official service life for the ATF. Some dealer service depts will say 100K miles. Since the fluid starts to look pretty nasty after 60K miles, I suggest you change the fluid that often. I've changed the fluid at 30K mile intervals.

3) I suggest you check the maintenance schedule which is available on the Toyota website if you don't have the warranty and maintenance book in your car's glove compartment. Beyond the items listed there and the transaxle ATF fluid, I suggest that you replace the serpentine drive belt and the PCV valve.

skywri433 likes this.
  7. skywri433

skywri433 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have the maintenance schedule and was going by that. It didn't have some of the items like the ATF fluid like you said. I have changed the serpentine belt. I am currently looking into this site on how to change the PCV valve and whether that is something I can do myself.

1) What is your take on the brake flush, clean/adjust rear brakes, fuel injector cleaning, or throttle plate cleaning? Do you think these are necessary. (they are not in the maintenance schedule). If so, at what scheduled intervals?

2) Also, I noticed somewhere else that you suggest the spark plugs being changed earlier than the 120k mile mark. Is there any reason for that as well?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The PCV valve does require some work to get to, as you have to remove the wiring harness that runs along the valve cover, for access. The valve is sticking out the end of the valve cover closest to the inverter.

1) If the parking brake does not hold, I would adjust the rear brakes. The brake fluid flush is low priority. The fuel injector and throttle plate cleaning are also low priority unless your engine manifests driveability issues.

2) I changed the iridium spark plugs on my 2004 sooner than 120K miles because I had a new set and wanted to see what the original plugs looked like. If you don't have engine misfire issues then you can wait until 120K miles.

skywri433 likes this.
  9. skywri433

skywri433 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent! Thanks again for all of your help. I think I better understand the recommendations.

10. PAtrouter

PAtrouter New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Patrick,

You seem to know a lot about the prius so i figured i'd get your opinion. I just got the water pump recall done on my 2005 prius not too long ago. Is there any way that they could have done the replacement that without changing the inverter coolant?
    The other water pump that was not replaced takes the 50/50 toyota coolant right?
    I also have not got the spark plugs changed yet an i have over 100,000 miles on it. is that a big concern?
    Is the transaxle fluid and transmission fluid seperate?
    Dose the transmission fluid in the transmission need changed throughout the life of the car?
    I have a $40 coupon to use and i'm trying to see what needs done the most.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is possible to clamp off the inverter pump hoses to keep most of the old coolant.
    Yes, the engine coolant loop requires pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant which is premixed with 50% distilled water.
    The transaxle and transmission fluid are one and the same. It should be changed at 60K mile intervals, minimum.

12. kevin3

kevin3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in the dealer today and he recommended a transaxle/transmission fluid change. I have done this twice and have 221K on it so yes this is a possibly due for another soon. BUT he said I need to drain and refill it 2-3 times and run it between to do it correctly because you cant get the fluid out of the Torque converter (or something like that, CVT?). I have never heard this before. Anyone hear of this?.
    Let Me say that for a stealership I actually trust this guy. I already told him how I do all my own maintainence and he told me how I can get the fluid on ebay for cheaper so I dont think he was trying to sell me it since it was obvious I would do it myself.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Wow! There is NO torque converter in the Prius' power split device/transaxle. It's nothing like an automatic transmission, which does have one.

babybird likes this.
  14. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just had mine done recently at 105,000 miles. I called a couple of dealers like yourself to get quotes. The dealer I went with was not the cheapest $149. however, was the closest. If you check each dealer's website you should see coupons or service specials. In my case a 15% savings plus when I arrived a $10 duncan doughnuts slide card (a nice touch). Work was performed including the steering recall. Vehicle was washed, I was driven to work in a nice Sienna minivan and thought the entire experience from Toyota was excellent. Could not be more pleased!

Merkey likes this.
  15. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    two closest dealers quoted me over $300 and over $400 and the 2nd closest is two towns away. I suppose I should check with the 3rd closest dealer but if they still want to rip me off I'll be checking non "toyota dealers" as in a tire shop that also does repair work. If I can't find a convenient option I'll have to buy supplies and do it myself.

I'm over 100k now and the transition from 41 mph to 43 mph when trying to glide isn't as smooth as it used to be though if I keep my foot firmly on the gas to accelerate or go with no foot on pedal so its at full regen without using the brake pedal it's a smooth transition. I'm assuming the transmission is just not engaging/disengaging as smooth as it used to in that edge case were the system tries to shift from slight regen, to slight electric drive, back to slight regen when I'm trying to find stability as the slope of the hill changes.

I would have done it months ago but I've been busy dealing with work and family health issues. Just frustrating that I'm in a state with low wages and relatively low cost of living but I'm being asked to pay 2x or 3x what the service is worth.

16. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here's a question, not sure if it has been brought up, but I joine the party a little too late and missed a lot, does the prius use a timing belt, or chain?, and is it an interference engine?

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Timing chain. Unclear whether the valves will hit the pistons if the chain breaks.

18. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is interference.

SPH-D710 ? 2

19. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    but its a chain for sure? I havent paid much atention to it nowadays everything is dohc belt, interference, I'm surprised this one isn't, if its a chain it explains why its not part of the mainenance they go for a while, even with some slack it is rare they break or ship a tooth

20. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a chain. All current MY Toyotas are timing chain driven.

SPH-D710 ? 2