1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What services you need and what you don't

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 22, 2007.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Jul 13 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]478451[/snapback]</div>
    I thought you just said that you had a 5,000 mile maintenance done at the 2,000 mile point. Are you planning on not doing anything more until you reach the 10,000 mile point?

2. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This morning I had my second appt. to get the oil/filter changed at 8400mi. at the dealership where I purchased the car. I chose to do it more frequently than suggested only because it is a new car, later on I will do it every 5K. The first one was at 4K miles.
    Besides the work I requested at the first visit, they also "topped off all the fluids" and "checked the tire pressure". I was curious, so I checked the tire pressure myself afterwards and realized that they took air out of my tires to read 38/35 or thereabouts. So, I took my handy-dandy air compressor out of the trunk and proceeded to inflate my tires back to where they were 40/38.
    So this morning, I was told that the fluids were "topped off" and "tire pressure was fine, did not need any adjustments". Once again, I checked the tire pressure and sure enough, the air was taken out once again. Now, I was a bit upset and told myself that the next time I will ask them not to touch my tires AT ALL!
    Besides the tires....my mpg's on the screen showed 56.2 when I dropped off the car for service, when I got back in the car, it read 55.4. Hmmm? Somebody does not know how to drive the Prius!
    Just venting here. :angry:

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 8 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]492387[/snapback]</div>
    You need to specify everything up front. I bring three quarts of oil and tell them to use only that and I'll top it off at home. That way I can be sure they won't overfill. I also specify 42/40 for the tires and to NOT wash the car. I figure if it's going to have swirls I'll make them myself.

It's not that they don't know how to drive your car, it's probably that it was left sitting there running.

4. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 25 2007, 02:56 AM) [snapback]501924[/snapback]</div>
    They wash your car? wow!
    I should do that....bring my own oil, but wouldn't I be confusing the matter further? Because now, and I have been told by them, that for an oil/filter change its a flat rate of $26 which includes 5 quarts of oil, yet they really don't put in the 5 quarts. I was told also that the invoice is a standard invoice, the printed invoice always reads as 5 quarts.
    Would they still charge me the $26 even though I supply my own oil? Something to ask them about.

5. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 8 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]492387[/snapback]</div>
    I just had my 30,000 mile appt and the same thing happened--it was 56.1 when I left it and 55.1 when I got it back. What the heck did they do?

I guess I had better get out my air compressor, too ;)

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 25 2007, 06:41 AM) [snapback]501940[/snapback]</div>
    Standard, schmandard. That's a ripoff. Tell them the car only takes 3.9 quarts and they're overcharging you for oil you don't use. Talk to the manager. If they refuse to break it up into labor and materials and you supply the oil you'll take your business elsewhere. They aren't the only dealership and they're not the only place that can change oil.

If you end up going to some other place, break down and buy the correct Toyota filter and then supply them with oil. You don't want to end up with your oil filter falling off like another poster and having to replace your engine.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where I've worked as a mechanic you wouldn't drive in the door for $27.

Take your own oil, they must be using rubbish oil. Did it include a filter?
    Write a list of what you want done, get a price for that to be done. Include on the list the tyre pressures you want.
    If you don't like fixed price servicing go elsewhere, if they break it down into labour and parts they will charge you extra.

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 25 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]501973[/snapback]</div>
    You are right, they are not the only dealership, yet the closest.
    Anyways....I was thinking of going to "Be-Wise"....they perform a number of services....oil/filter change, their car wash, do-it-yourself car wash....quick and easy stuff, and its just around the corner as appose to 12 miles to my closest dealership. So....thinking of going synthetic now, and I can get that myself (probably from WalMart) ..so...the question is...where would I get a Toyota filter? Do I have to go to their parts dept? or is there another source?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 25 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]501989[/snapback]</div>
    Good advise...and I am so glad I live in America!....$27-$30 is about how expensive it gets to have an oil/filter change....if one looks around, goes through one's mail with a keen eye....one can find a coupon for $19.99 and it covers "most" cars. :rolleyes: and a Prius does fall into that catagory.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm glad I never had to live on what a mechanic must get paid there. When you take overheads into account the mechanic gets about 1/3 of what you pay for the labour in the service, so the guy doing the work would get about $5 - $7. Hardly worth getting oil on your hands.

10. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 26 2007, 05:48 AM) [snapback]502285[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know what the mechanic "really makes" at the end of the day, just what the companies charge for hourly labor to us, the customer. Some of the dealership are about $95-$99 per hour here. (Toyota being the least expensive and Nissan on the higher end). This I know from experience. The little companies are anywhere from $45-$90 hourly. (Used car dealer that I know charging $45, two different Mercedes places; one charging $65, the other $90 as examples. They feel they need to be competitive.
    I have also come across coupons for $14.99 for a 5q oil/filter change (1/2 hour drive from here) and its just a marketing approach to get you to go there, and maybe you will come back another time and pay the normal price, usually under $30.
    Valvoline Quick Oil Change, a large chain - they do it for $29.99. "Be-Wise", the one I was planning on using to do my first synthetic oil/filter change, charge $50. according to a friend who just go his BMW done there with synthetic. There are definitely choices here as to where to go, and whom to use.

11. stukid

stukid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 25 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]396360[/snapback]</div>
    My advise when it comes to servicing your car is follow what Toyota/Lexus say in their owners manual, then adjust for your region and or driving habits. Any car, PRI or otherwise NEEDS tires, steering and brakes.
    Everything else is fluff when it comes to maintanance. This assumes engine performance is OK.
    Most people will neglect maint. But when posting to this group, we(you) probably care for your car more than the average owner.
    All that said, brings to the point how confident are you in your dealer (technician). There are numerous guys like Galaxee's husband, who are trained, seasoned, and well oiled PROFESSIONAL technicians, who actual give a crap about our jobs.
    When I service your car, you get the job done right, and I stand behind what I do. As does our dealership.
    However, not every dealership or tech does, so I know the frustration that you feel.
    There is a post about a PRI owner who serviced her car at a gas station, and the oil filter blew off, and she is in (or was in) a legal fight. That would have happened at my dealership. And I doubt any Toyota dealer wouldn't stand behind their work, because their name is their reputation.
    Ok, rant over, have at trained hybrid tech do ALL your work. ;)

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    stukid, I agree. Although if you find a mechanic who does care about his work stick with him/her. As you say, a lot couldn't care less.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Aug 26 2007, 04:08 AM) [snapback]502294[/snapback]</div>
    How would you like to pay an hourly rate of $120? Mercedes and BMW dealers are charging somewhere around $160-$190. And I heard that Porsche dealers are charging $220....

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    where DH works they charge $90/hour now, the max an experienced tech can make per hour billed is about 25% of that. average is less than 20% of that number. and again with the flat rate, which can either make or break you depending on the situation.

lexus dealers in the area charge $120/hour, but i don't know what techs make there.

agree with stukid on having a hybrid tech do your work. DH ranted about other techs doing work on hybrids on another thread, the gist of it was that all the diagnostic stuff that doesn't pay crap goes his way, but everyone has dibs on the maintenance, which is what mostly pays our bills. then when one of the non-hybrid guys screws something up? guess who gets to go clean up the mess, usually for free, while he could be making money on something else? yeah, you guessed it.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    timing chain shouldn't need to be "checked" at 60k, nonono.

you actually have to remove the valve cover, then 2 oilpan gaskets, just so you can get to the timing chain cover...

you don't want to break those gaskets unnecessarily. if you reach that point, you might as well just do an engine reseal.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 7 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]508851[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't think it needed to be inspected / adjusted THAT early ... but man o man ... the Dealership must kill a million trees, sending out flyers on how it really really OUGHT to be checked at 60K.

So when IS the magic number?

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    trust me, no tech wants to go through all that to CHECK something that doesn't need to be replaced. that's a universal recommendation that really should only apply to cars with a t-chain replacement interval, at the interval...

so technically this should be a lifetime part. since it requires a complete engine reseal, say you hit 150k and it starts to leak out the vcg and oilpan (and how likely is that!), then change it. since you *have* to be in there anyway.

kinda like when one changes the timing belt in other cars, the water pump, cam seals and crank seal and tensioner and etc are replaced. you're in there anyway. general principle.

19. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    where's the PCV valve located? Any pics or diagrams out there for a DIYer? I've done the PSD fluid change myself and all the other normal maintenance, too. Nothing in the manual about a PCV valve replacement??

Cheers,

Curt

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=16822

that's a worded description, i don't think anyone's documented with pictures. we're at 35997 miles as of this morning so it'll be a while before we do ours, but if nobody has done it when we reach 60k (if we don't have to sell before then) we'll do a photo guide.