1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What services you need and what you don't

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 22, 2007.

1. birdsquared

birdsquared New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: What services you need and what you don't

Thanks very much Galaxee. I bought the car today, and other than it immediately needing new rear brakes (only 5% left), everything else inspected out nicely, so I will wait until it reaches 160,000 km, and get cooling and trans done with oil, etc.

2. birdsquared

birdsquared New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I went to the local dealership today (Destination Toyota in Burnaby) since I needed to get new wheel locks (the used car didn't come with the "key" for the existing locks), and a rear wiper insert. The service department removed the old locking nuts with their "master key", and put on the new ones for no charge. I put the wiper blade on by myself, following the straightforward instructions provided here.

I also asked about estimated costs for the various maintenance services, and the service manager just printed off a list from the Toyota Canada "Maintenance Menu". Each relevant mileage (kilometerage?) is listed with the "required" services. The values include parts and labour, but no tax (which makes sense since each province has different taxes). The list is copyrighted, so I won't scan and post it, but it would appear that any Canadian Prius owner should be able to request it from their local dealership.

I note that they list the glove box air filter as a $51 service, so I placed an order from eBay for a couple of OEM filters ($15 plus shipping) that I will install myself. The current one was almost black when I pulled it out - with all kinds of crap on it - I don't think the previous owner was aware of it, and it had been a long while since the service records showed service at a Toyota run garage...

3. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

4. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

"hmm. you asked for the "30k service" didn't you? using those words is the same as saying "please screw me over" at the service counter. i guarantee they did not just do a tire rotation and oil change, they tossed in some major profit makers there. next time, ask for specific things. "oil change and tire rotation and alignment, please, no more."

Galaxee,

How do you explain to a warranty claims adjuster that you modified the scheduled inspection criteria (that the warranty is based upon) because you thought that items included in them didn't need to be accomplished?

I could almost guarrunty that when putting in for an expensive claim, the first thing the adjuster does is to make sure that the maintenance schedule has been adhered to. I know I would.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

that's an awful lot of labor for swapping 2 air filters and an oil change. assuming they also rotated your tires there.

in DH's experience:
    parts and labor for oil change: $35
    places that charge for tire rotations, even with an oil change, get $10-$20
    engine air filter: labor included with part
    cabin air filter: labor $18

they did something else, and you don't even know what it was. that's getting screwed. i'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

there you go trusting the dealer again. you're not modifying anything, the dealer is. they're throwing in a ton of 99% profit items that you most likely do not need to suck money out of your wallet. what you need to do to keep your warranty is listed in the warranty booklet that came with your car. it's pretty minimal and should not cost $280 in labor per service interval.

inspections are usually done for free as the service is in process, because they're key opportunities to upsell services and make a few more bucks. DH has had a simple oil change (on a non-prius, that is) turn into a several hundred dollar job by pointing out leaks and other things that need work.

6. birdsquared

birdsquared New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

After some fiddling on the Toyota.ca website, I found that you can get your own copy of the maintenance menu, with the prices, from any dealer. Select the dealer, click on the "Maintenance Menu", input your vehicle details, including mileage, and it will provide you with a PDF of the services and prices - what's most interesting is that all of the dealerships I checked (3 local Vancouver area ones) had the same price for the lubrication service ($35), but they charged different amounts for the maintenance service, and other things (like cabin air filters). The services that Toyota Canada suggests are an interesting comparison to Galaxee's list.

nerfer likes this.
  7. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

This article was not only UNBELIEVABLE, but also a huge money saver and will help us keep our Prius' rolling long and rolling (nearly) free!!

Thank you so much.

8. Errel

Errel New Member

Thanks for the tips.
    I have a 2005 Prius. I brought my Prius to the dealership due to a noise I hear when I turn off the car. It sounds like a grinding, whirling sound. The dealership said that it is normal noise from the pump. My question it, is this a common noise for all Prius'?

9. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Please clarify what you meant by "in the passport".

Thanks

10. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I agree with your plan in all but one respect. I have always found dealers to be MUCH more expensive, and no more knowledgeable re: standard things. I do the oil changes every other time, and a reliable, properly trained and certified mechanic shop for the alternating service period.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

"passport"= scheduled maintenance guide.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hey Galaxee,

up here in Canada, the engine coolant gets changed at 64,000kms. I thought it's a 160,000 "super long life" coolant? Why is it being changed so early? I had a pretty hard time getting out of changing it early. THey still insist they change it now.

13. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How does the Prius handle possible water in the fuel?

Galaxee,

1. How does the Prius handle small amounts of water in the fuel? Like about a tablespoon full? Thinking that some accidently got in, I dumped in a small bit of fuel line de-icer. Several tanks later, nothing weird has happened yet. Is there like a fuel filter than can be inspected? Does the electric motor spin the ICE till it passes through causing a rough start?

2. I wish that I lived closer to the dealership where your husband works.

14. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

My 06 is now around 101000 miles +. I need to do the 100K service. Problem is I can't stop driving it long enough, literally. I think though, I am just going to have to tell my boss that I need a half-a-day off, and go get it serviced.

As stated in an earlier post, the car has been trouble free.

Some learning issues;
    1. Unlocking and then quickly getting in the car, sometimes I observed the emergency flashers coming on instead of the double blink that I expected. I have since determined it is my FOB pressing one if it's buttons agains something else in my pocket. Normally I carry a small box cutter and a USB flash drive in that pocket.

2. Locking the car, sometimes I get the long beeep, and it does not lock when pressing the button on the outside of the car. This particularly seemed to occur after shutting the rear hatch. Ok, what is happeining. I am in the rear hatch almost as often as I am opening and closing the drivers door. When in the rear, I am standing at the bumper, and sometimes leaning in a little. Apparantly, I am demanding of the car to notice that I have straightened up and that I am outside of the body of the car, just a little to quick for the computer to figure out what I am doing. By either waiting a moment, or by stepping back a yard, and then step back to the car, the computer will figure out that my FOB is not in the car and allow me to lock the door.

3. Gallaxee says that the brakes won't rust. Hmmm... Well, just the parts that move I think I read. Anyway, I have noticed a noise, seems more so in wet weather, from the brakes when I press the pedal when I start the car, and when I release the pedal after putting it in park. Seems to be associated with the brake shoes/pads. Seems more so up front. To my knowledge the rear brakes have never been checked, and definitely never been adjusted, and the car has more than 100k on them.

Well, my glove box light still only works when the door is open, and the arm rest does not squeak. The car seems to persist at an average mpg of 51.7 in this Tenneessee Winter. Maybe, because it is supposed to be 14 deg F tonight, mpg will drop a little more tomorrow.

15. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Regarding LOCKING, unlocking:

1) its funny, I have almost never used it to lock or unlock the car, I guess since I have the accesory which allows you to drive the car w/o using it.

2) however, I have been having a problem opening my front doors while having the fop in my pocket. has anyone had any of the following occur, and if so, how did you resolve it? is there a problem with the computer?

o with fop in pocket, and standing within 1 - 2 ft of passenger door, I pull the handle to open it, and I do not hear the beep, nor the lock moving, and it does NOT open; without moving, I try it a few more times w/o any luck. then I walk around to the driver's door, and it opens normally (beeps as I pull handle, then opens)

o similar thing has occasionally happened when I first approach the car from the driver's door.

Since the above occurs only infrequently, I have not gone to the dealer with this -- yet.

16. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

When I first got my 2004, since it was a "Hybrid" I expected it to need "special handling", e.g., Dealership only servicing. I read the Passport, at least twice to see if I was missing something -- but no, this car is amazing! The maintenance which is specified are things that ANY competent mechanic can do. As a result, I have only brought the car to a Toyota dealership twice: (1) first oil change was FREE; and (2) when there was a recall on the computer.

So Dennis, and anyone else, the hybrid components do not need any maintenance that I can see, and using a competent mechanic is all that is required for a LONG, long, trouble-free ride!!

17. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Well, it sounds like you have a pretty reasonable dealer, but unless you can not find a good mechanic, I still think that you would get better price, and maybe better service at an independent shop.

Also, like someone else wrote, even without a fancy oil valve, one can change your own oil VERY easily. In fact the Prius is the EASIEST car I have ever owned (since 1966) regarding changing oil and filter. Good luck. Little Lou:D

18. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Galaxee, I for one am VERY THANKFUL for your input sharing your "on the floor" experiences, AND I understood that you were giving "rules of thumb".

Thanks again for all of your help.

Little Lou:D

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Around these parts (Southwest Missouri) there really isn't anyone else I'd trust with a hybrid. My wife has oil changes done on her Highlander Hybrid at the Jiffy Lube...and that's fine, but even then every time we go they ask about changing the rear-differential fluid...every time!:rolleyes:

Been changing oil since I was a kid...but these days it's usually easier and not much more expensive to have someone do it for you. That said I do know that it's not difficult to unscrew the oil plug, but I got the Fumoto from a fellow Priuschatter slightly used for a good price and with it I won't have to worry about keeping the little gaskets around and it's just too easy to flick the thing open and then closed again.

20. LRP114

LRP114 Little Lou

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Galaxee, I went to this website and could not find any info on the PCV valve. What IS the recommended frequency; and what is its location?
    Thanks as always, Little Lou