1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What services you need and what you don't

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: What services you need and what you don't

I use a high quality synthetic, and perform used oil analysis. I change the oil and filter once a year or every 10,000 miles. That exceeds the Toyota recommended interval by a factor of X2

Tires I like to rotate every 5,000 miles

2. macngon

macngon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Independent shops for my Prius in SF Bay Area

I am living in the East Bay (Pleasanton - Dublin - Livermore). I appreciate if you can refer a reputable independent maintenance shops for my 2005 Prius.

Thank you.

Mac Ngon

3. spf

spf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Dave,
    Dealerships make more profit on selling services/maintenance than they do on the initial vehicle sale. I've talked with several dealership employees who have said this.

Just food for thought.

Stan

4. bigbearballs

bigbearballs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I just a 04 Prius with 80k on it now up to 81k. Should I wait until 100k to get all the major maintenance things detailed in the first post or should I just dive in since I got it with so many miles? The first 1000 miles on the car have been really smooth and great.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Congratulations on your recent purchase. Since the car's prior service history probably is not known to you, I suggest replacing all fluids (engine & inverter coolant, transaxle fluid, and brake fluid) now. Also replace the PCV valve.

If you want to be especially good to your engine, I suggest replacing the iridium spark plugs now rather than waiting until 120K miles when they may be frozen in place.

The engine oil/oil filter should be replaced at 5K mile intervals. The engine and cabin air filters should be inspected and replaced if found to be dirty.

My definition of a dirty engine air filter is that you cannot see sunlight passing through it when you hold the filter up to the sun. I change the air filters at 15K mile intervals.

6. bigbearballs

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Thanks, I assume that I should have a local mechanic change all those fluids rather than the dealer?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Well, the inverter coolant and brake fluid flush procedures are tricky. If your local mechanic is not familiar with Prius, it is unlikely that the work will be done properly.

Further, the correct Toyota fluids should be used:
    • engine and inverter coolant: Toyota Super Long Life Coolant
    • transaxle fluid: Toyota ATF WS
    • brake fluid: Toyota DOT3 brake fluid

8. bigbearballs

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Really appreciate it, I'll call around to see if anyone around Austin works with Prii.

9. fulostix

fulostix Junior Member

Hey everyone! I have a 2005 Toyota Prius with 65000 miles on it. Toyota was recommending the 60,000 maintenance service that costs over $500!! Is this required? I'm not sure what I should do because that is rather expensive, but I don't want the car to end up having problems. Thanks for all your help!!

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Toyota was recommending it or your dealer? Read your manual for what Toyota recommends, and you'll probably find it considerably less extensive (and expensive) than $500. And of course, use this thread for further guidance. Dealers are notorious for selling standard maintenance packages that include stuff that's not needed -- or even impossible to perform on a Prius.

Additional money savers: You can save a substantial amount by changing the engine and cabin air filters yourself. Dealers are reported to have charged what I consider obscene amounts for a quick job; either can be done in about two minutes with no tools. And with just a little mechanical aptitude and a few simple tools, a Prius oil change is quite easy.

11. trife86

trife86 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

How does changing your own oil work with a existing warrenty?

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

In order for Toyota to use lack of oil changes as the basis for denying a warranty claim, the claim would have to be for engine damage consistent with that and they would need to prove you didn't change the oil. Keep good records and you shouldn't have a problem. I keep all receipts for oil and filter purchases and log the date and mileage when I change them.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Or you could also do used oil analysis to give Toyota a hard time. My only regret was not doing the analysis from day 1, instead I waited until around a year of ownership when I switched to Mobil 1

I had some *very* odd readings, which I brought to the attention of Toyota Canada. They immediately blamed my use of Mobil 1 (How could they, the sample was based on the dealer oil) and suggested my engine warranty was kaput

I got Mobil involved and chased a lot of dead ends, including over $100 in oil sampling which Mobil reimbursed me. I finally snagged a virgin sample of the wonderful dealership bulk oil. That crap I wouldn't use in a 30 year old lawnmower on its last legs

Once I submitted that to Toyota, they promptly STFU

If you do ever encounter a serious engine problem, no matter what oil you use, it won't make much difference. Say a hidden casting defect that causes a catastrophic engine failure. But I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota tried to pin the failure on your oil changes

In a situation like that I would involve independent engineers, don't take Toyota's word. Like any large corp, they will try to wiggle out of responsibility. Much like the engine in my 2000 GMC Sierra going knock-knock-knock-knock, GM did SFA about it

Remember that Toyota got burned by a lawsuit from sludged motors. I doubt this was caused by their 7,500 mile oil change interval, but rather by the absolute bottom-feeder bulk oil used at most dealerships. One consequence of that lawsuit was Toyota almost universally lowering the oil change interval to 5,000 miles

If the bulk oil my dealer uses is any indicator, a 3,000 mile would be far more appropriate.

All I can suggest is to *not* stock up on oil. Only buy oil when doing the oil change, save the receipt. Make a copy of the receipt, as most stores use a thermal transfer print system that literally disappears after a couple of years. On the copy, write down the VIN, the mileage, and date.

Even if you never do used oil analysis, it wouldn't hurt to save 50-100 ml of oil from each oil change. That wouldn't take up too much space, and in the event of an issue you could have an independent lab verify engine health

14. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Jayman- do you think the junk oil that dealerships use is diferent than what the car comes with? I'd like to know because I want to change the oil in mine- I have about 700 miles on it and was debating whether to wait until 5k or do it @ 1000. Also debating whether to go to synthetic this early. I drive around 575 miles a week.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Well, if my FJ was any indication, I'd say the dealership crap is far different from what the factory fill is. I sampled my FJ at around 2,500 km: low TBN, high nitration, residual fuel, but no indication of sulfur or sodium

I'd guess the fact a vehicle from Japan is started, driven under 2 mins, over and over on the trip here probably accounts for the residual fuel in the crank

The dealership already knew I had sampled their wonderful bulk oil, so when I went in around 3,000 km as they suggested for a complimentary oil change, they used Valvoline from bottles. I watched, no sleight of hand here

That oil also badly sheared, and surprisingly there was nitration. Even using Mobil 1 0W-40, an oil intended to meet very severe European specs, there is still nitration. Other FJ owners who sample their oil have noted this as well. Best guess is Toyota has programmed the FJ a bit richer.

The same motor in the Tacoma and 4Runner has no evidence of this nitration. So like anything else, unless you do a lab analysis you can't be sure

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

The Prius motor is very easy on oil. Some on this forum with 2005-2006 Prius have reported residual fuel in the oil analysis, no clear indication why.

I would wait the 5K. If you desire, you can then start a used oil analysis program to establish a baseline. One forum member, Devils Advocate, uses Amsoil 0W-30 and only changes his oil once a year or so. No issues at all

In the case of extending oil changes, or if there is any indication of trouble, the oil company will usually stand behind you. In the case of my Prius, when the oil testing uncovered issues actually caused by crap generic bulk dealership oil, Mobil stepped up and indicated they were behind me 100%

17. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Is this for real? I have been changing my oil (valvoline 5w30) every 5 K and using a larger media (scion Xb) Toyota Filter. Have there been issues with warranty's when people have done correct changes.

I imagine with a five K change, that the engine were is going to be very insignificant. With all the bookkeeping you may as well pay 3x the price at the dealer to save the hassle and I like changing my oil.

Excellent suggestions for documentation, but have there been instances when this is necessary?

18. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Is the rear brake clean, doable at home? How about a coolant backflush? Is it possible after the 100k to do it at home with a backflush kit? I haven't studied the hoses.
    Is the trottle plate normally sticky after a certain amount of hard use? I have cleaned an F-150 throttle plate, but the Prius is a different critter.

19. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

IMO, All you really have to do is maintain a log if you do your own oil changes. Preferrably, right in the booklet Toyota gives you for that. Record odometer, date, etc and sign. That should be just as good in the law's eyes as an invoice from a mechanic.

So the receipts fade after years. Too bad. IMO if it comes to a court case, Toyota has to prove you didn't maintain. If your receipts are faded or lost, but you have the logbook it should be good. Heck, pay with your credit card at Cdn tire or wherever (For Mobil 1, use Toyota filters) and keep the credit card invoices for a few years.

I logged into "Club Toyota" for first time today. Would be nice if you could record service there.

Anyway, I haven't done my own oil changes in 20+ years, but I'm going to do everything I can (non-warranty) on my own. I'm not going to trust random minimum wage employees at the dealership or elsewhere. Not when I have a house with garage and a place to dig a service pit now ! :peep:

I dropped a few ounces of my oil at 1400 KM (870 miles) today and sent it for analysis. $20 or so at Toromont Cat. Perhaps I'll do it at 2800 KM, and every oil change. If I post every analysis here, heck that's publicly available time-stamped documentation enough that I did my service.

Oh yeah I removed the wheel trim rings from my "Canadian Touring base" today. Looks cool, as the thread title says "what services you need" and I think the trim removal "mod" is essential. Wonder if it cancels out any wheel warranty... :)

20. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks. I wish I had a service pit. I didn't need one with my 9 mpg 92 f-150. Not quite the tolerances we have under the Prius.

I have been writing all my filter/oil changes in the manual. I can't find the official toyota svc. record. I wonder if that will void my warranty? I am like you. I am not trusting a service technician not to screw up on a small fluid service and I know what the oil looks like going in and coming out.

I guess the rear brake clean is just a spray and wipe down with brake cleaner after the drum is removed or is there more required?

The Gen III version will have rear discs. I wonder if they will be replaced more often.

What is the max life people are getting out of there front and rear brakes currently?