1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should I get, a Gen2 or Gen3?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Integraoligist, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,
    I test drove a Gen3 Prius, Gen2 Insight, and Civic Hybrid over the weekend... out of the 3, the Prius just seems far superior.
    I travel about 70mi. a day 80% highway hitting 70-75mph about an hour south of Chicago.

When I did the test drives the only Prii in the area were 2010 and 2011 models... All the Prii felt the same but the main difference being the nice touch screen in the console which the wife LOVES. Of course those Prii with 50k miles with the screen were $18k and without the screen is $15k
    Compared to the Gen2 Insight, the Prii felt just as responsive when you jam it to the floor to keep up with oncoming traffic, just have to get use to it.

Now, I also see a lot of 05-07 Gen2 Priis around $9k-10k range with about 100k miles on them.
    But I have read that the engine is smaller... but they all look to have the touch screen monitor (correct?)

So that being said... is the extra $8k worth getting a Gen3 over a Gen2? Is the Gen3 more reliable, better with the new larger engine, and just plain worth the extra cash? Or is the Gen2 basically the same, and keep extra cash towards future repairs, if any?

Thanks all for the help!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the Gen2 have the touch screen but I think Option package #1 did not have, but there were not too many of those sold. Option package 3 and up have the touch screen/reverse cam (+nav system if you get to higher packages). You can check out Youtube video (Gen2 v. Gen3) (google 2010 Prius technology) but I don't think you should automatically go with Gen3...since you are in non-CARB state your hybrid battery warranty is 8-yrs and 100k miles so you might want to get one with some time left or certified used assuming that covers hybrid battery for a year.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are going to find mixed reviews on your questions. I myself prefer the Gen II even after looking at the Gen III. Both of them have their good points and their bad points. IMO, Prius is better than the Insight. But remember, that is only a opinion.

My best advice would be to find a Prius or similar vehicle that both you and your wife like and buy that. It really boils down to individual preferences and choices. I have heard the Gen III is more peppy, but the Gen II is no slouch either. Both are economical. Note that the new Prius C and Prius V do not give the better MPG like the standard Prius do. YMMV.

Look at your budget, your likes, and preferences. Only then can you truly choose wisely.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome" to Prius Chat.

4. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen a few 07-09 with 80k on them for around $11k, would get about a 1-year warranty on the battery then. But then again, i'm not a fan of letting the dealer touch my vehicles even if they ARE under warranty. Something else always seems to go wrong (that is not under warranty) once you have it serviced the first time.

The Toyota dealer in my area has a Lifetime powertrain warranty which covers the Hybrid Battery and the engine as long as I take it to them for regular maintenance. However misc. repair costs through them may cost more then the entire car is worth... dealers are just shady and i do whatever I can not to deal with them.

Speaking of emissions, we do not have emissions testing where I live... so I've modded all of my vehicles intakes and exhausts to get better performance out of them plus extra MPG (not sure if it would pass emission or not but it is not a concern)... I've seen posts on adding turbo/super charger but I do not go that far nor want to reduce the longevity of the engine, the mods i've always done just took the restrictions off of the engine which essentially made it's life even longer. Is any of this possible with the Gen2/3? Or is it even worth it with a Prii?

Thanks again!

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...you're over my head now

6. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I have both a Gen II and a Gen III. I would recommend the Gen III since the battery would be newer and it has a little more power and will get better MPG at 70+ mph.
    Forget the hot rodding - nothing works to get you more horsepower. Everything is computer controlled and the computers (there are more than one) just don't like you to change anything.
    Check that dealer "lifetime" warranty since I can't see them covering the battery. Battery age is possibly more important than mileage when it comes to needing a replacement.
    Speaking of batteries - you should verify the at 12 volt battery has been replaced if the car you get is more than 4 years old. (cost about $200 if you do the labor).

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Handling and seat comfort (depending on model) are much better in the Gen III. Some people don't like the center console in the Gen III.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great post, I have both also and the 2 get's 50 and the 3 get's 60, nuff' said;)

10. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen III much better in snow , hands down

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have seen where others have modified their Prius in the past. In the end they were complaining about the check engine light, MPG dropping, along with other errors and DTC codes that the Prius was throwing at them. Like xpcman said, the Prius is computer controlled and it does not like when things get modified. It will work for a little while, then things will start acting crazy. The Prius is VERY economical when it is compared to the average gasoline powered mid size car on the road today. Plus it does have quite a bit of get up and go when you need it. Look in my signature file at my fuelly stats. The only mods I have done is to run synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and invested in some expensive LRR tires. Everything else is stock.

Merkey likes this.
  12. DZD

DZD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it me or does the Gen II seem larger than the Gen III? I'm in the market for one or the other and that is one thing that I noticed. Also - did the Gen II have a factory sunroof? I don't think I've seen any of those.

13. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, since everyone is gungho on the Gen3... the average 2010with 50k miles is about $15k without the monitor (save $3k)... I see how they install the car information into the dash to the right of the speedo, but she still wants a monitor regardless...
    I see the disc/aux button on the stereo, where is the input for the Aux? Or does it have bluetooth? Instead of swapping the stock stereo for an aftermarket touchscreen, it may be easier to just mount a tablet to the dash or something of that nature.
    Thoughts?

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...Gen3 is slightly bigger (3/4-in wider) with 3-cu ft more inside space.
    I do not recall factory sunroof something tells me some people here did after market.

DZD likes this.
  15. DZD

DZD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the video - it confirmed that Gen III was the first with a factory sunroof.