1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should I keep from my old engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by OC63RAG, Sep 22, 2021.

1. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My current engine has a mild rod knock and I'm replacing it with a low mileage (80K) engine from a wrecked car. It will be a complete engine/trans swap.
    Are there any components I should either swap over or save for later?
    I just put in new plugs so I'm planning on moving those over to the new engine. The new engine will get new coolant, oil/filter, air filter, clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Anything else?
    Is it imperative to replace the water pump on the new engine now?

Ewhitaker0020 likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your profile mentions a 2013. How many miles are currently of the gen2 with the mild rod knock, and any ideas why it started knocking?

You can wait on the WP swap. Do clean up the PCV since you'll have easy access.

Are you able to grab additional spare parts from the donor vehicle?

OC63RAG likes this.
  3. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This one is a 2007 with 170K miles. The original owner let it run a little low on oil a few times and I'm assuming that's what caused the knock.

If it's a good time to replace the PCV valve I'll do that as well.

I do have access to the donor car. What should I look for? My car has a new Green Bean battery (lifetime warranty) and new 12V battery. Other than the rod knock, it's in great shape.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to replace (unless faulty), just clean it up if you feel that it might be dirty.

There are a bunch of parts worth saving, you might start with the OEM catalytic converter, that way you have replacement for the future.

Is the donor vehicle going to the junk yard?

5. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The exhaust is gone (stolen). The owner is going to part it out rather than junk it.