1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should my biggest concerns be with a high mileage Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Banksy, Jul 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So I got my HV battery sorted.

However at 253k I have concerns and am curious what might be the next big thing to go.

I am assuming that water pump, timing chain and ABS actuator would be the biggest concerns however I'd like some in put

I am also considering doing the inverter pump

Also. Oil consumption.

My first oil check I did at 1500 miles with no noticable consumption. At 3300 I noticed about a half qt down. Normal? I plan on changing the oil completely at 5 k and running Valvoline high mileage again or possibly mobile one high mileage with mobile one filter.

Thoughts?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't make assumptions. Just cross the bridges when you get to them.
    Why? If it is working well enough continue to monitor it and leave it alone for now. If it does go unexpectedly, it won't strand you. At the worst, you will need to unplug the pump and replace the AM2 fuse. Just make sure you have a spare.
    What oil consumption?
    If you are not already using high mileage I wouldn't start using it with that small amount of usage. If you check it again in another 1500 miles, it probably will still be at 1/2 a quart down. You'd be better off using an oil flush product at every oil change for the next few changes.

It is time to stop worrying about things that might never happen and just enjoy driving the car.

bisco likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ Agreed. All that stuff might happen. But when it isn't actively happening is the reward phase of driving an old car, that's when it is saving you money.

Enjoy the reward so you are relaxed and recovered the next time the car announces it wants something. It won't be shy.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    use 40 weight oil it will mitigate the oil loss somewhat.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny, at 65k, i worry about the same things

Banksy likes this.