1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should tomorrow's gas station look like and offer?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, May 16, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure how many gas stations offer WiFi. If you are going to be at a station for a 1/2 hour or more to charge an EV, that would be a plus. Of course you can purchase many tablets etc. with 4g connectivity and don't need WiFi anymore but for many existing devices, that is the connection.

New venue's may be restaurants with charging stations.

Here in Columbus I noticed that there are smart parking meters that take a credit card. You are going to pay for parking anyway so why not install charging on some of these parking meters and you wouldn't need to go to a "gas" station while at work or shopping etc.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are kerb side EVSE/chargers being tried out in Europe. These mount to lamp posts, signs, buildings, or even the kerb itself. One of the companies designed their product to be a 5g hot spot, which could provide an additional revenue stream to the operator.

There is a hurdle to using them here, and it involves the charger cord. There the car owner provides the cord. It isn't attached to the charger itself. Which is a good idea when given some though. This could limit the theft and vandalism seen with corded chargers. More importantly, it means cables aren't strewn across the sidewalk when not in use, which can be quite a lot when considering nearly every parking space will need a charger in areas without home charger access.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pancakes

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Shell I usually stop at on my way to the parents' has an IHoP.

bisco likes this.
  6. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cost per kw may be a big factor. Does anyone have an approximate cost per KW at charging stations? I was just wondering how much of a premium I would pay for the service vs home charging.

I keep a spreadsheet of my monthly KW usage and my home AEP electric rate. I consumed 11978 kw's last year at a budget $118/month. That is 11978kw / $1416 = 11.8 cents/kw delivered to the house. That is what I would be comparing these charging station prices to.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Supercharger rates are at 28 cents a kW, though it will vary by jurisdiction. They might have to charge by the minute in some places. The cars' displays can provide the current rates. Tesla isn't running the network for profit. Other networks are generally higher. Electrify American is in the 40 to 30 cent range for non-members. Their slower chargers could be under 20 cents, and Tesla charges half the rate when charging slows to under 60kW.
    Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America

In general, fast DC charging runs higher than using gasoline in an equivalent ICE car. Which is okay when the majority of miles are charged at home rates.