1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What size exhaust pipe by catalytic converter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by red90sev, Sep 12, 2019.

1. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I could, but like I said, it would be a pretty big task since I just moved and everything is completely disorganized. Someone out there knows what size it is, I'll keep looking for someone who wants to share the information. If I knew and someone was asking for help, I'd answer them. I never post because usually I always find the information I'm looking for by searching and not being lazy by just asking someone else... That's why my post count is so low. The only reason I asked is because I'm in a bind from moving. So, sorry you guys get all butthurt when I say I don't need help about anything else other than the size.... good grief.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At this point, I wouldn't trust any numbers you get provided.

Skibob likes this.
  3. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why is that? Because some members get all butthurt after offering advice that isn't asked for? Lol

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When there's a crime wave of Prius catalytic converters being stolen and you make your post asking for info that you can get with a measuring tape, there's a reason to be suspicious. Your hostility towards people trying to figure out the bigger picture further brings your true motives into question... I'm out, the is the second threat today that's a total waste of time.

Skibob likes this.
  5. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're ridiculous.... how does asking for the stock exhaust size help someone steal a catalytic converter?? Use your brain. Seriously, explain. Don't use that as an excuse to justify that you're just butthurt. Hey, anyone who wants to steal a catalytic converter, here's a how to video from magnaflow! Lol

Danny13pruisc3 likes this.
  6. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just to let you guys know, I'm calling Magnaflow for deliberately teaching thieves how to steal catalytic converters with ease. Pretty shady company if you ask me..... Why did they make a cat that requires you to cut your old one out? Let's do some investigating and find out their true intentions with that video....

#26 red90sev, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  7. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how knowing the stock exhaust size helps someone steal the catalytic converter off of a Prius ... Anyone care to chime in? I'm really curious at this point. I'm trying to figure out if there's really a legit reason, or if some people are just special...

Danny13pruisc3 likes this.
  8. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to add to this toolbag post, the stock exhaust size is 40mm inner diameter and 42mm outer diameter. Another member that isn't "special" was kind enough to share this sacred knowledge lol. Now there's nothing stopping you catylitic converter thieves!!

9. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The left side of my cat is 1 3/4" and the other side going to front of car is 2" outer dimension. The inside is 1.5" I assume and 1 3/4". I now know because someone sawzlled my ca, cut out the cat in the middle of the night, and temporarily i have to buy flex pipe to drive it around till the cat comes in from toyota.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is there really anything on a Prius that is not metric......no

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's the size of your dink -- about two inches.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On a very very benign sidenote hey Mavi did they actually sawzall if off or did they just use the nice and quiet pipe cutter?

If they sawzalled it omg the noise that must have made cutting through that pipe in the middle of the night. What balls.

Shows your not safe parking it anywhere unless in your garage. Surprised it hasn't hit this area around here yet as G2's are very popular here.

Just bought a new battery be my luck to get hit. Gonna start thinking about a cat cover of some sort.

Went on youtube and searched Prius Stolen and found all the cat theft tubes.

Its Hondas and Fords now getting hit hard too. One is a home video caught them doing it took 4 mins
    lots of loud banging. My doggie would catch that instantly.

Good tube is the Mufflertech videos. And stolencats.comj

Now I understand why Georgina Ruckus was Talking
    about painting the cat orange and there also engraving the license plate on the cat too to so recyclers think twice about taking it but in Ca the thieves may know where to lay it off to organized crime which is involved in this.

Lots of different trucks getting hit too Tundras and F body fords.

#32 edthefox5, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember in elementary school in 1976 we were told that US was switching to metric... For us 3rd graders it seemed easy, but for the rest of the United States who seem to lack the basic intelligence of even a 3rd grader it was simply too hard to learn. So here we are 44 years later just as stupid as ever and getting stupider. Why in the world is metric so hard for people in this country?

14. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    edthefox5 likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking too. Do you plan on installing it yourself in your driveway?

Only thing I can recommend to people who have there car in this driveway is get a motion sensing camera like Ring or Arlo. I have alot of Arlo's but my 07 is in the garage. When I needed to use the garage or work on my other car there's a church at the end of the block with a tree covered parking lot I would park the car there out of the sun no more cant keep an eye on it. It would be very easy to grab the cat there.
    I plan on painting and engraving my cat too as not sure I can handle installing that plate in my driveway and it would be expensive to get it installed by someone with a lift. I will investigate the install though.

Its the wife's car and it has changed the way she parks her car when shopping.

16. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Installing the cover over the cat can easily be done in the driveway.. the hardest part is installing the rivet, but with the tool from harbor freight and a power drill super easy. As far as the cat.. i'm having a shop weld that in for me.

17. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I made measurements and found the closest English units the exhaust pipe is 1-7/8" ID and 2" OD.

#37 lunacyworks, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I brought my 07 into the muffler shop for my cat swap they didn't want to work on it till I removed the hybrid battery. I remember back in the day many posts about you cant weld on a G2 it may damage the hybrid battery.

So to satisfy both the welder and myself I disconnected the high voltage plug on the hybrid battery and also disconnected the 12 volt battery via its 2 plugs. Better safe than sorry I guess. It was easy to do and fast to reconnect so weld away!

Just remember after you do that and first time you go to start the car it will throw the RTOD as it got unhappy about both batteries disconnected so just try to start it one more time comes right back on.

19. pm8

pm8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know why people gave you so much flack about this
    I'm creating a part 2 to my u tub video on how to deter thieves from stealing my gen3 catalytic converter
    (Prevent Catalytic Converter Theft. DIY VIN number etching)
    I already added 2 more 3.5 in Ubolts around the two 2.5 inch and I JB welded washers between the extra nuts.
    I'm thinking that if I can reach into the inlet area, then I can measure the OD of the inlet and put another ubolt there to deter those bolt from being removed. Looks like I'll have to crawl under the car again to measure it.

I was thinking that a similar setup could be done for gen2 prius: Ubolt's to block the mounting nut, many feet of 3/8 in steel cabling underneath the top, bottom of ubolts, extra nuts, JB weld washers and JB weld the mounting nuts. May not be as secure as a shield, but it's something DIY can add as a deterrent.

#39 pm8, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2022