1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What socket for front axle nut?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChapmanF, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, here it is 210,000 miles and it sounds like my second wheel bearing job is coming up. (First was the right rear, 50,000 miles ago.)

Whichever one is going this time, it's not yet far gone enough for me to pick it out by hand-rotating hubs--they all still feel ok with the weight off. While driving, the sound gets louder if I cut the steering wheel to the right, softer if I cut to the left. Makes me think maybe it's a front bearing this time (though I'm not positive, as I guess cornering puts side loads on the rears too).

After a several-mile highway drive, an IR thermometer puts the front hubs very close at 50.3 C and 50.8 C, right rear at 39.5, left rear at 43.3. There was no way to finish the drive without stopping, so braking had to contribute some of the heat, and could be why the fronts are higher than rears. Left rear is nearly 4 K warmer than right rear, so maybe that's the culprit, but I took off the wheel and made another effort to feel any trouble by hand and I still can't.

So anyway, while I wait for it to get bad enough to tell which one it is, I'm wondering what socket I'd need for the front axle nut. It looks like a 12pt socket would be necessary. I'm guessing 32 mm but nobody in town has one in stock so I haven't been able to test-fit one on the nut. I've seen posts about Gen 2 front axles talking about a 30 mm 12pt, but to me the Gen 1 nut looks bigger than 30 mm. What socket do you use?

Thanks,
    -Chap

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never mind - I'd forgotten I already had a 30 mm 12 pt in the little-used socket stash, and whaddayaknow, it fits. :)

-Chap