1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What sort of air traveller are you?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by AussieOwner, Aug 15, 2008.

1. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After an almost blazing row with my wife trying to get her to the airport this morning, I realised that we approach air travel very differently.

I apply the military view of "hurry up and wait". I like to get to the airport anywhere between 1 hour and 2 hours before the flight. I have always been of the attitude that one should try to get to the airport with enough time so that if something does go wrong, I still have time to make the flight. That I normally have to sit around is OK - I have my ticket and I am ready whenever they call the flight. It helps that my frequent flyer status generally gets me into some lounge where I can relax once I get to the airport, but even if I cannot get into a lounge, I will still try to get to the airport early.

My wife is the complete opposite - she cannot see what is wrong with arriving with just 5 minutes to spare. She has the most frustrating (for me) attitude of OK if I miss this flight, I will just get on the next. That attitude is ok for domestic, especially here in Australia where the flights between the major cities run almost every hour, but she has the same attitude for international flights, when the next flight is the next day.

I had a business colleague in London who had the same attitude - there was one flight from London to Copenhagen where I was at the airport well in advance and she turned up as basically the last person to board, running the whole way from check-in. She was very lucky that there was a very short queue through security at that time.

Most of my business colleagues are somewhere in between the two extremes, they accept that they need to be at the airport an hour ahead of the flight - no need for more than that, but not less than 30 minutes, although they do tend to lean towards the closer to 30 minutes.

So what do others do? Am I the abnormal person and my wife is the more usual?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I try to limit how much I fly but when I do, I am like you. I am there WAY early, especially in new airports. It helps to keep me from freaking out and being stressed. Plus it's fun to sit there reading and people watching. :)

3. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I much prefer waiting at the airport for my scheduled flight over waiting for the next flight. I schedule for arriving at the airport an hour before the flight and add time for traffic.car troubles.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks to the TSA, we here in the states HAVE to be at the airport early due to the excruciatingly long lines to go through security. Add to that my artificial knees that set off the alarms so that I get the full terrorist pat-down every time I go to the airport. No wonder I'd rather go on the train. . .

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I get there early. I can't stand cutting it too close on anything scheduled.

You might think about checking your wife as luggage. That will save you money, even with the extra bag fee, and avoid any schedule hassles.

Tom

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm definitely the "get-to-the-airport-well-ahead-of-time" type. 2 to 3 hours for international travel, 1 and a half to 2 hours for domestic travel. I hate the hassle of checking in and going through security but once you get that all out of the way you can unwind a bit. Especially if, as F8L points out, you like the reading and the people watching. Sometimes I can even manage to get a quick quasi-nap in.

7. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :rofl:

Only one small problem - putting up with her complaints after the flight.

Actually, packing for a trip is another area where we differ - she packs well in advance, while I pack 10 minutes before I need to leave, although I do have to say that I have done so many trips (Qantas have made me a lifetime gold member because I have travelled with them so often) that I know what I need to pack and could almost do it blindfolded and still pack everything that I need and do it in the same time.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    'ate flyin'. Can't stand it. Don't know why. I 'ate airports. I'd rather drive.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get there when I get there, sometimes early, sometimes a little late. I have been lucky I haven't missed a flight but I almost missed a flight to Belfast when I arrived 2 minutes late to an early flight at an unfamiliar airport, John Lennon, Liverpool. Fortunately with no check luggage they raced us through and we still had to wait to board. I'd like to thank Easy Jet for letting us fly. For real international flights I get into the terminal 30 minutes before I have to be there because of the cues at the check in counters. I love flying but it is costly to me and the environment.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a get there early in case something happens kind of person.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i prefer to get there early. once i got there too early, and nearly missed my plane hanging out at the airport bar... :eek:

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I used to be a real power air flyer, but now I only fly about once or twice a month. Still, I have pretty high lifetime status, and I'm pretty set in my ways when flying -- at least when I fly alone for business. Get me flying with others, and I'm a bit different. When I fly with my family -- woah!

I have my toiletries pre-packed, and I know exactly what I can fit in my roller-board. I've gone on business to Europe for 10 days out of carry-on baggage. I know my home airport, and I am very comfortable with the parking, walking, security, etc. Still, I don't travel like I used to. Before 9/11, I used to plan carefully to arrive just in time to walk onto the airplane after boarding started. Now, though, I plan all around alternative flights. I usually book for a later flight than I may prefer and then arrive just-in-time for the next-earlier flight, hoping to fly stand-by. If I don't get on, then I just go to the club and get some work done.

With my family? I just try to get there without exploding! I aim to get there early without much yelling, and then I try to be ready to get everyone on board. I am very calm, collected and comfortable when travelling alone, but get me with my children, and I am a nervous wreck!

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I worked for Gould Electronics, our Marketing Director was waiting for a flight. He had made his way to the gate quite a bit too early, so he was standing by the jetway talking to someone. He heard the boarding calls, but wasn't worried because it takes so long to board all of the rows. His thinking was that it was better to stand a while longer at the gate then with the crowd on the plane. Engrossed by the conversation, the next thing he noticed was his plane pushing back from the gate. Needless to say, he didn't make that flight. That was one of the dummer ways to miss a flight.

Tom

14. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm with you. I bet your wife and many others in the wait-til-the-last-minute crowd will be too if they ever miss a flight and face the actual hassle and expense of changing flights.

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in almost the exact same situation as you. I like to get to the airport excruciatingly early (on my most recent international trip, I was there *3* hours early) and my soon-to-be wife likes to get there ~30 minutes before the flight is supposed to take off. It's something that we both got from our parents. Thankfully, we both realize that we're at the ridiculous extremes, so we can usually negotiate a reasonable airport arrival time.

As a corollary to this, we have a similar battle once we get to the airport. I would like to get all the way to the gate before I sit down and relax. She would rather sit down and have lunch/dinner before proceeding to the gate (often outside of security), usually leaving a very reasonable amount of time to get to the gate. However, my thoughts are that it occasionally takes an unbelievable amount of time to get through security, so I'd rather get that done with quickly.

I guess the difference is that I leave enough time for everything to go wrong, whereas she allows for the normal time, plus a little extra.

16. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I absolutely despise current commerical air travel....
    I never,never fly any where for personal reasons.
    That being said i am forced to fly by my employment
    and when i fly at gunpoint by my employer I arrive
    way-way early to get the whole damn process over with as soon as possible.
    Froley

17. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like to get there early, too. One time I traveled with a coworker... he arrived late, we were at the wrong terminal and just about everything you can think of went wrong but we managed to get to our destination by the skin of our teeth. I sure don't like traveling like that... it was pure stress the entire way.

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a little side note.
    I laugh at the people who cue for the departing flight going through the check in. I sit until the cue is a few bods long then go through. I know I'm just going to be waiting on the other side. I also try to board late in the process to minimise my time sitting on the aircraft, particularly on a 14 hour flight.

At the other end I laugh again at the people who are standing in the aisle as the plane makes its way to the aero-bridge. They rush off the aircraft only to wait at the luggage carousel. On my first trip to England I sat and waited until the aircraft was almost empty, walked to the carousel, my bag was the first on the belt followed by my wife's and son's. I picked up the bags and walked out, no waiting at all. I couldn't believe there was no bag checks. This was October after 911. That never happened again. I like to relax when I fly, I don't rush but I don't hold anyone up.

Then there was the time someone had their bag blown up because they left it unattended in Paris Charles De Gaulle air terminal, that was fun and another chance to laugh at people.

19. AussieOwner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You make a good point here Pat. Thinking about it, I realise that this is one area where, generally, my wife and I are the same. When we travel together, we nearly always have checked luggage, so we never rush off - always happy to sit back and let the crowd out first.

Even when I travel on business (most of my flying) and with carry-on luggage (most of the time) I don't rush out (unless arriving in the US when I know the sooner you get to immigration, the less time you will spend in the queue - I have spent up to 90 minutes waiting to get into the US, just to run to catch my connection out of the US).

PriuStorm, I think you have hit the nail on the head here - I don't like unexpected hassles - they just stress me out, so by allowing for time for these to happen, I reduce the stress. I know that my wife just floats along - she just does not get stressed out by anything, so this probably explains her attitude to getting to the airport - what stress???

I must say it is nice to see that I am not the only one - most people who have replied so far are like me - prefer early rather than just in time.

20. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm with you Eric, get there very early and then just sit and relax and wait for the flight to board.

I cannot stand it when people get there at the last minute and have to run for the plane. It is one of my big pet peeves, people being late.

I am usually 2-3 hours early for a flight. I would rather sit back in the terminal and read a book and just relax instead of rushing.