1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What SPRINGS lower the Prius THE MOST?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by turnerdhr, Jun 14, 2009.

1. turnerdhr

turnerdhr HellaFlush(TM) Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey All....

I just got a 2009 PRIUS imported to Singapore from Japan. It is the 1.5S with the 15" wheels. I will get 19"s put on her tomorrow. I am wondering which springs lower the Prius the most? I've read that some good threads here so far. I've also notice a 1" average drop in ride height. Does anyone know which springs lower the Prius the most?

I'm looking for a real aggressive drop using springs only.

THANK YOU!

2. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and would anyone know the company that will ship the springs internationally to Singapore....?!

3. Ken@kobetoba

Ken@kobetoba New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

PM sent, if didnt receive it [email protected]

4. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ken, this is my inspiration...

Attached Files:

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you want to get your Prius that low, it is likely going to take some custom fabrication.

Someone on here shortened the stock struts along with aftermarket springs to get their Prius that low. I don't know of any coilovers that would lower the Prius that far.

Maybe bagging it is the way to go!

6. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered coilovers for my prius and let you know how low it would go... I'm currently using trd sportivo springs/struts combo and I'm not satisfied with the drop it gives.....

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wasn't aware of any coilovers for the Prius - who makes them and where'd you get them?

8. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the Tanabe Sustec Pro NF..... other brands that are available are HKS, RSR, and GAB. I ordered them in Japan.....

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Huge member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is basically asking for a bumpy ride.
    If your spring maintain the same spring rate as the stock ones and are simply shorter, you're going to hit the bump stops every 5 seconds = bumpy ride.
    If your springs are stiffer to keep your car off the bump stops than your dampers are too soft to work with the springs = bumpy ride.

Springs and dampers rates need to be well matched in order to work together properly.

Given that you're going to put 19's on it and basically eliminate the sidewall of the tires (meaning a serious reduction in the ability of the tires to absorb road imperfections), I suggest that you should at least consider upgrading the suspension in a proper fashion.
    Otherwise the result will be one seriously crappy riding car.

Moti

10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For some reason I don't think the OP is worried about how it will ride - just how it looks!

11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More importantly, it will likely compromise the performance of the suspension system. I certainly support the OP's desire to lower the car but from my (racing) performance-oriented standpoint, it's not worth compromising cornering performance (which I suspect Blackbird is also concerned about). Whatever you do, please don't be a ricer and cut the springs (!).

I do like the rubberband look on thsoe white rims. It's certainly distinct.

bino, I'm really interested in know where you found the fitment guides for coilovers for the Prius? I'm interested in putting a set on my car although I am a little concerned about having to rebuild them.

12. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ygpm

13. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey A gray prius,

here are some pics of a white prius on scherzen tec coilovers. Vey very very nice indeed.... I've found out that there are a lot of examples of prius in Japan on coilovers running on 19s. I saw some very nice examples.... so that's what i am planning for with mine....

Attached Files:

14. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, those are super thin tires. A little more negative camber and they'd look like they were running oni-kyan style. I can't say I like the rims as much - I'm partial to the gray gunmetal look.

You're going for the whole VIP look?

15. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ahhh..... well, maybe this is what you're talking about... note however, that she's running on 18s... but no less, she's on ADVAN Racing RZs...

Attached Files:

16. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and yes... i'm going for that minimalist slammed VIP Look on 19s... ... though still sourcing for a good set of coilovers at this moment...

17. FuelSpender

FuelSpender New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tanabe DF springs just got released. Have you checked Tanabe Japan's Super Low form damper?

They don't sell them in the states.

18. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey FUELSPENDER....

you sure know your Tanabes.... yes, i just got to see THE LATEST Tanabe brochure (in japanese) on their SuperLow damper series for luxury cars... i saw crazy lexus, mercedes and other big cars rolling on at least 20s and they were like seriously maybe inches off the ground. I saw the spring rate numbers and i remember it being in double digits... so it made sense.. to be so low.... you have to ride real hard or you'll definitely be scrapping everything as you cruise along....

too bad they don't make an application for the Prius NHW20 in that damper series...!

19. FuelSpender

FuelSpender New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just have a bit of experience in the car and aftermarket industry since i used to modify cars. I know more than JUST tanabes ;)

But yeah, it's made for those kind of special customers who want the VIP Stype.

20. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm a huge fan of Advan RS/RZs, so yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about.