1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what temp should traction battery be during a drive?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by priustexasbob, Apr 6, 2018.

1. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    driving around town, what should temperature of traction battery run? for now it seems to run near ambient temperature 80°F. or perhaps better put, what should temperature range be? ie: 75°-125°F

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Forget the low end of the question. LOW temperatures are NOT a problem. Unless maybe if you live where it gets down to -60 F.

Someone else probably knows the answer on the high side but ambient plus 20 should not be a problem.......as it is hard to control it any closer than that.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The benchmark for our (regular) 2010 Prius seemed to be 35C (95F). This was with ScanGauge monitoring the middle sensor (typically a bit warmer) after an extended drive, on cool evening, driving around 80 km/hr.

4. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    how do you know which sensor it is? I just have my scanguage set to traction battery temp and it reads around ambient temp

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was using an XGauge, entered into my ScanGuage, and there were XGauges for sensor one through three. Number two sensor is (supposedly) in the middle of the pack, tends to be warmer. Ditto for the central cells. Maybe Prius c has just one sensor though?

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does the C actually have active battery "cooling" or is it just ventilation ?

If just air flow, I think you should expect to see the battery temp. just a bit higher than ambient, regardless of what the ambient IS.

7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ventilation only to keep the battery cool Sam. There is also an HVAC air outlet under the seat which will blow cold air (or hot) towards that hybrid battery fan in the summer when your running the AC.

8. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As mentioned there is a middle temp sensor which is best to monitor. The fan is very conservative and you will not hear it speed up until 116f. This is way too hot. This will pass the warranty but not much more then that if you live in hotter climate like So Cal.

As mentioned you can't get too cold unless it way below 32f ambient. I run the fan at speed 6 full speed ALL THE TIME with the scan gauge. Even if it's 50s outside, my bat still gets hot. The worst is when you park and come back, it's way hot. I run the AC down so is uses the duct below the seat. I have seen my temps stay in the 80s-90s this way and it's much better then the 100+ with out running the fan.

#8 priusCpilot, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can we at least entertain the idea, that a little warm up is maybe not so bad? That Toyota engineers are being diligent?

I'm sceptical, about statements that any raise of battery temp above ambient is terrible. OTOH, I'd agree that "hot soak" seems most detrimental, say parking a hot car in a hot garage on a hot day. :(

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Easy rule of thumb given to me by a battery engineer in person: Batteries like the same temps as humans do.

I keep one scangauge on battery temps and it typically reads +/- 10 degrees of ambient but can rise quickly in hot weather with hard use. In NEVER drops quickly; they are a tremendous heatsink. On my Energi with LiOn chemistry, Ford shuts the party down at 113f and only allows hybrid operation as a safeguard but I've never experienced this operation. I've seen higher temps (122-125f) via techstream in my gen 2 NiMH pack while testing it in a summertime garage. I've never seen temp numbers/charts posted here for the NiMH but I know some testing labs have that kind of stuff. FWIW

#10 fotomoto, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018